Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
For those who are running iOS4. Can you change the APN? I ask because I plan to get iPhone 4 and use my iPad SIM for data only.

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Has anyone successfully tried this yet? Would love to use iPad sim in my iP4 arriving next week.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I tried the website on my iPhone with iOS4 and it does work fine. As for making it work with the iPad I can only assume it will. We can change the APN though.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Yes it works on iPhone 4 with iOS 4. I am using iPad SIM in my iPhone 4 for data only.

absolutgenius

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2007
How did you change your iphone 4 APN? I wasn't able to do it using unlockit.co.nz or using the iphone configuration utility. It brings up the network setting screen, but won't give me the install APN screen.

Any ideas???

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
How did you change your iphone 4 APN? I wasn't able to do it using unlockit.co.nz or using the iphone configuration utility. It brings up the network setting screen, but won't give me the install APN screen.

Any ideas???

Make sure you are connected to wifi first.

vishalsheth

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2009

Any ideas???

How do you load the iphone configuration utility? I've installed it but can't find the app.

This is nice. I just was able to do it. Load the app from mac. Create a provisioning where at the bottom is the option for APN. enter the required APN, also copy/paste the identifier so it knows for which phone. Now export this file and it would ask you to save it. After this is done, goto the phone and you'll see the profiler. Click install. Make sure all this while your phone is connected. On phone also say install. You're all set to use the APN set.

TigerOnSurf

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
How do you load the iphone configuration utility? I've installed it but can't find the app.

This is nice. I just was able to do it. Load the app from mac. Create a provisioning where at the bottom is the option for APN. enter the required APN, also copy/paste the identifier so it knows for which phone. Now export this file and it would ask you to save it. After this is done, goto the phone and you'll see the profiler. Click install. Make sure all this while your phone is connected. On phone also say install. You're all set to use the APN set.

*sigh* Do you have the PC version of your guide? I am lost... because I don't have a MAC and have no clue what you are saying... :(

All I know for APN is Broadband
and that I am under the AT&T iPad data plan..

luppie

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
iPhone 4 APN setting for China Mobile

I brought a US iPhone 4 with iOS 4.0.1 to Shanghai and got a local pay-as-you-go sim card for voice and data plan from China Mobile. No, I did not buy the micro-sim which is more expensive. I opted for a regular sim card I bought from a local mom-and-pop market down the street with just voice (and no data plan).

What you need to do is to cut the sim card to the micro-sim size and it will work in the iPhone 4. There are instructions available on various site including Youtube that shows you how to do this. It really simple - cut the corner away from the tab of the sim card, along the copper material, then use the cutted edge and line up the diagonal corner to cut. It's better to cut it large then finallized the size once you put it in the iPhone. I did it with a scissor and it took me about a minute or so to cut the card.

Now that you have voice, text "yeck" to 10068 to get your balance, then call the number to add the data plan. I selected option 2 to talk to an English speaking operator since my Chinese sounded like Spanish. I opted for a 70MBytes plan which deducted off my balance by $10 RMB - that less than $1.5US people! You can text "yeck" again to see the remaining balance once you activated the data plan. Ask the operator to send you instruction to configure your iPhone to accept the data plan. Here's the problem - how to reconfigure the APN to receive data from China Mobile.

If you use ...redsnow to jailbreak so that you can unlock your iPhone, there's a problem - no APN config setting in setting->general->network. You will have to fix this problem so that this configuration option will shows up in order for you to reconfigure the APN setting. I didn't believe this fix (solution) when I found it on the net but I tried it and it works. Here's what I did:

1. Turn on the iPhone if it's not on. Wait a few seconds for it to initialized
2. With the phone "on", remove the sim card; you will see a message "no sim card" on the screen. If you don't see this message, try to access the phone book.
3. Wait about 20 seconds.
4. Put in the sim card (with the iPhone still "on")

You should see the option -- setting->general->network->"Cellular Data Network". It works the first time I tried it although I read that other people has to try several times to get it to work. For the carrier China Mobile in Shanghai, I configured my APN setting to "cmnet" and it works great! It also works in Sanya and Nanning so it should work in Bejing or Hongkong or Xiamen.

I used Fring (VoIP) and textfree on my iPhone to call/text friends in the states. The problem is that China Mobile Edge network is kinda slow so you might not be able to talk over VoIP when the network is busy. However, if you can reach a Wifi hotspot, I use Fring to call my friends in China on their Chinese numbers and don't get charge on my voice plan.

Hope this will help others!

zarkozarce

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
1. Turn on the iPhone if it's not on. Wait a few seconds for it to initialized
2. With the phone "on", remove the sim card; you will see a message "no sim card" on the screen. If you don't see this message, try to access the phone book.
3. Wait about 20 seconds.
4. Put in the sim card (with the iPhone still "on")

You should see the option -- setting->general->network->"Cellular Data Network".
Hope this will help others!
Very nice tip:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.