Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jun 13, 2010, 05:20 PM   #1
vegito93
macrumors newbie

iPhone UNLOCK without SIM CARD?

Newbie alert! Just kidding i know a thing or two about the iphone. My question:

I have bought a used iphone 3gs (3.1.3) locked to Fido. And i have a Rogers sim card, so i need to unlock.

What i want to do is wait for iOS 4.0 and SHIFT restore to the downloaded firmware. The problem is that the iphone has not been used on MY itunes before, and i dont have a fido sim card. Will i still be able to restore it using firmware 4.0?

What i am afraid of is that i will be stuck on the connect to itunes screen cuz i dont have the fido sim card. Will that happen?

Offcourse, after the restore, i will unlock it with whatever solution the iphone dev team develops. Again i dont have the fido sim card, so will i have anny problems doing it with no sim card in the iphone?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank You.
vegito93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:15 PM   #2
JudasBlitzkrieg
macrumors member

You would need a SIM card inserted in the phone to activate it, even after restoring. When I put iOS4 on, it was as if it was unlocking it all over again because I was presented with the "Congratulations, your iPhone is Unlocked" screen. It then verified itself with Apple. Do Fido not do a legitimate unlocking option like o2 do over here in the UK?
http://amonthatatime.blogspot.com
JudasBlitzkrieg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:32 PM   #3
vegito93
macrumors newbie

Ok, what if i borrow a Fido sim from a friend. He dosent use his sim on an iphone, but can i use it during the restoring (to 4.0) and unlocking of my iphone? Will apple verify it?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:43 PM   #4
JudasBlitzkrieg
macrumors member

They should do. When I got o2 to legitimately unlock mine, I just put a random PAYG sim in the phone and it activated fine. The SIM isn't tied to the handset, so any Fido SIM should get you activated.
http://amonthatatime.blogspot.com
JudasBlitzkrieg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:19 PM   #5
vegito93
macrumors newbie

on another forum, someone was suggesting that i will be able to "hacktivate" it from the "connect to itunes" screen when unlocking with redsn0w (when it comes out). Is "hacktivating" safe?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:39 PM   #6
MonkeyPantz
macrumors newbie

If you used iTunes to update to 3.1.3 you will not be able to unlock the iPhone yet. You will have to wait 1,2 weeks maybe more , maybe less.

Updating to 3.1.3 will also update your modem firmware / baseband to 05.12.xx which is impossible to unlock right now.
MonkeyPantz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

4.0 is not even officially out. Also the jb and unlock tools aren't either. So you will not get any answers yet. Just assumptions.
Wait 2-3 more weeks and there should be solutions to activate, jb and unlock.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks