Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Nadav
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
iTunes Library Deleted

So I turned on my mac today and opened iTunes which was completely empty... All of my music and playlists were deleted. Luckily, I just bought a backup machine a couple of days ago, and have backed up before this incidence, and I'm wondering how can I restore my library so it was just like it was two days ago. I have read some fixes where it restores the music, but I want to make sure that it also restores the plays and playlists and all the other statistics about my music. Any help would be nice!
__________________
NADAV
Nadav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:42 PM   #2
revbarabbas
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadav View Post
So I turned on my mac today and opened iTunes which was completely empty... All of my music and playlists were deleted. Luckily, I just bought a backup machine a couple of days ago, and have backed up before this incidence, and I'm wondering how can I restore my library so it was just like it was two days ago. I have read some fixes where it restores the music, but I want to make sure that it also restores the plays and playlists and all the other statistics about my music. Any help would be nice!
As long as the music is still physically on the drive you can just restore from a backup your:

iTunes Library.itdb
iTunes Library Extras.itdb
and iTunes Library Genius.itdb

to ~/Music/iTunes
revbarabbas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Nadav
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I only see iTunes Library Extras.itdb and iTunes Library Genius.itdb, does this mean all of my music was not backed up?
__________________
NADAV
Nadav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:22 PM   #4
gheat93
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Francisco
Send a message via Skype™ to gheat93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadav View Post
I only see iTunes Library Extras.itdb and iTunes Library Genius.itdb, does this mean all of my music was not backed up?
I think he meant on your original machine. Those files will contain all the playlist and play count data.
If those files are bad, iTunes backs up the library every now and again in the "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder (found in ~/Music/iTunes).
How did you back up exactly? The files should be present on your backup too...

Just out of interest, do you have any idea how this could have happened? a couple of friends of mine also seem to have inexplicably lost all their music, and understandably I would like to avoid this consequence by all means...
__________________
24" Aluminium iMac; 4th Generation iPod 20GB; 1st Generation iPod Touch 16 GB (For Sale!).
Sometimes reality is the strangest fantasy of all.
gheat93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Nadav
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Oh, well the last previous iTunes library is from yesterday, which is after my library got deleted. The one before that is from May 1st, and I have added a lot of music since then. Is there no way of restoring it from time machine with the library I had just two days ago?
__________________
NADAV
Nadav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 06:52 PM   #6
gheat93
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Francisco
Send a message via Skype™ to gheat93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadav View Post
Oh, well the last previous iTunes library is from yesterday, which is after my library got deleted. The one before that is from May 1st, and I have added a lot of music since then. Is there no way of restoring it from time machine with the library I had just two days ago?
Try copying the latest library from the Previous iTunes Libraries folder into /Music/iTunes. If you have Time Machine backups, you can copy the iTunes Library file in /Music/iTunes from the back up into the same present location.
__________________
24" Aluminium iMac; 4th Generation iPod 20GB; 1st Generation iPod Touch 16 GB (For Sale!).
Sometimes reality is the strangest fantasy of all.
gheat93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How large is your iTunes library? lgtw Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 42 Mar 12, 2013 03:58 PM
Apple TV 2 & iTunes library on Time Capsule bmorris Apple TV and Home Theater 11 Mar 18, 2011 03:02 PM
iTunes Library woes: files everywhere. aperantos Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Feb 24, 2011 09:25 AM
iTunes Library cannot locate 2500 out of ~7000 songs...what to do? foreignconcepts Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jan 11, 2011 08:45 PM
Help! iTunes Library Consolidation Not Working mterrell Mac Peripherals 1 Nov 22, 2010 07:41 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC