Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Just in case not everyone using older PPC Macs (especially those on G4 systems) has opted in to use the YouTube HTML5 beta, I just wanted to let you all know that it will breathe new life into your web experience. This latest version of Safari 5 coupled with HTML5 videos on YouTube makes older and slower systems completely capable of watching YouTube vidoes much more smoothly and on lower CPU power. Even our 1GHz iMac G4 plays all HTML5 videos without a hitch. Same with my Powerbooks.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I'm not for sure. For everything that has been converted, its amazing. For everything else; I either deal with it, download the .flv file and watch it in VLC, or simply use my MacBook Pro. Give it a shot and see what you think.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Wow! The difference is night and day, I can actually scroll the page while video is playing. 1.25GHz iMac G4 ;)

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
Came across this.

Todd Madson said:
Jun 11, 2010, 02:16 PM

I got an e-mail from Adobe today confirming that PPC 1080P playback thru youtube (and presumably other
flash sites like Vimeo etc) have problems with frames dropping etc.

They filed this as bug #2631223 internally.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i can even play h264 video on my iMac G3 700mhz /16mb vram/ 768mb ram
ok it does not run smooth but it is watchable ok it drops some frames , but is far better then the the awful stutter flashplayer is causing at H264 videos

on my eMac 1.42 and on my mac mini g4 1.42 its using at the same film (H264 ) just 50+% cpu usage which is actually perfect compared to the 90-100% flashplayer plays the same video

who needs flashplayer :confused:

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Tried it and I have the same problem as before - constant stuttering. When running with flash, the framerate takes a hit (maybe 15fps), but its constant, thus watchable. With HTML5 enabled, it runs at 30fps, but it constantly pauses every second, making it very annoying to actually watch. This happens even if i let the entire video buffer.

Its strange because if i watch CPU utilization when running flash youtube, its pegged at 100%. When running HTML5, it hovers around the 70-80% mark, so its obviously not maxing the CPU. Yet it still pauses every second. Very strange.

This is on a 1.25ghz G4.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Which browser do you use? Is it on supported list?

I know that it's not exactly about html5, but have you tried Safari with Click to Flash plugin and "Play in Quicktime" option? YT is watchable even on 700 MHz iMac G4 that way.

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
I confirmed this on release of Safari 5 on my hardware too. Would be interested to try it on the B&W G3, not that I'm expecting much, but I can say the iMac runs videos *almost* perfectly smoothly with the update. The frame rate drops occasionally, but not enough to be concerned about.

And a huge improvement over the Flash equivalent.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I just tried this and love the results. Web-based flash takes 70-75% of my CPU but HTML5 only used 38-45% in the 8 or so videos I tried.

Thanks for the tip!

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Under Safari 4, HTML5 YouTube was worse than flash. It runs almost perfectly now, though 720p still basically doesn't play (not that I expected it to).

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Under Safari 4, HTML5 YouTube was worse than flash. It runs almost perfectly now, though 720p still basically doesn't play (not that I expected it to).

Use Safari 5. I am now and youtube with html5 never uses more that about 40-45% CPU.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Which browser do you use? Is it on supported list?

I know that it's not exactly about html5, but have you tried Safari with Click to Flash plugin and "Play in Quicktime" option? YT is watchable even on 700 MHz iMac G4 that way.

I'm using Safari, obviously. Not sure why its improved for everyone else and not for me.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
cant answer that , its the Mac mystery since the first Mac's that what works on one doesnt on another even if they are absolute identical from spec , i try to figure that out myself

just a example i have 3 emacs all the same 1.42ghz all have 2 gb ram, but 2 score geekbench 871 the other 872 but the third just scores 756 , tried everything even swapping harddrives ,ram still the same result
so its just a mystery

how is that related to html5 you may ask , simple on the one that only scores around the 750 geekbench mark html doesn't run as smooth as on the other 2

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
I'm using Safari, obviously. Not sure why its improved for everyone else and not for me.

Try a clean reinstall of Safari. Backup your History.plist and Bookmarks.plist from the /User/YourUserName/Library/Safari folder, and then delete said Safari folder and the one in the system's /Library folder as well, and then reinstall using the standalone installer and put the above mentioned files back where you found them. Seems to work for getting rid of some upgrade issues people are having, as there seems to be more than a few Safari 5 upgrade horror stories floating around. In your case, it might get rid of whatever is causing the lag.

Also, make sure you have the latest version of Java installed. Not that it has anything to do with Flash or HTML5, but just to rule it out as a possible factor, as Safari 5 uses a newly optimized bit of code for Java rendering.

ElectroGhandi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Tried HTML5 YouTube on 10.4.11 G4 PowerBook with Safari 4.1. Video is smoother and browser is more responsive but it stops every 2 seconds. Went back to Flash YouTube. A few seconds of unresponsiveness is better than the video stopping every 2 seconds.

violindoug

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
I'm a little confused...

i saw this post before and thought that html5 was automatic but last night i realized i had to choose it as an option and i did. what now confuses me is that it says there will be a badge in the control bar. where does it mean: the bar on the bottom of the video because i have scrolled through video pages clicking on videos and nowhere have i seen a badge there yet.

violindoug

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
I'm not for sure. For everything that has been converted, its amazing. For everything else; I either deal with it, download the .flv file and watch it in VLC, or simply use my MacBook Pro. Give it a shot and see what you think.

i realized today that the html optimized videos are the ones with a newer control bar. my problem thought is that i found even when downloading the video in Safari (via Window>Activity>and then download the file "videoplayback") it still can be glitchy in VLC

Etvl

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2016
Belgium
Just in case not everyone using older PPC Macs (especially those on G4 systems) has opted in to use the YouTube HTML5 beta, I just wanted to let you all know that it will breathe new life into your web experience. This latest version of Safari 5 coupled with HTML5 videos on YouTube makes older and slower systems completely capable of watching YouTube vidoes much more smoothly and on lower CPU power. Even our 1GHz iMac G4 plays all HTML5 videos without a hitch. Same with my Powerbooks.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Soo i just use you're link with safari 5 or above on a powerbook/powerpc and youtube will run smoothly at 720p? sorry if this is a dumb question but i don't understand this solution if someone could explain thath would be highly appriciated. :)

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Soo i just use you're link with safari 5 or above on a powerbook/powerpc and youtube will run smoothly at 720p? sorry if this is a dumb question but i don't understand this solution if someone could explain thath would be highly appriciated. :)
6 years ago when that link was posted it worked just fine, today who knows.:rolleyes:

Etvl

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2016
Belgium
6 years ago when that link was posted it worked just fine, today who knows.:rolleyes:
would you be able to test that? i was planing to use this on a imac g4 or g3
[doublepost=1471662054][/doublepost]
would you be able to test that? i was planing to use this on a imac g4 or g3
when you click on it now, you just get a notofacation of what formats your browser supports :/

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

HTML5 struggles on low end machines and 720P is out of the question.

I've detailed here how to go about playing Youtube to the best of an old Macs abilities:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/youtube-options-in-2016.1986056/#post-23230651

Reactions: jbarley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.