Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
"A full discount on a standard handset or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on xx/xx/2010. We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

just wondering why I get that and not..

""As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2 year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee"

Am I not valued enough? Is this because the system doesn't know about the early upgrades for customers with upgrades in 2010 yet? I understand the difference between all the different upgrades just wondering if anyone else get this Thx!

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Well.

What date did you buy your 3G ?
How much is your regular monthly bill approx ?

These are both determining factors.

On a side note, I have two phones on y account and one is eligible for full upgrade, and one is eligible for discounted upgrade.... That is confusing me.

youngplaya0228

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
I have the same exact message (says 10/07/2010). Bought it May 2009, but switched over to another phone the week before the Keynote (3G broke), and switched back a few days after the Keynote. The guys at corporate said that they'll charge me the $199 since it still lies in 2010 and had my iPhone activated at the time. Hoping that they honor that when i pre-order the 4 tuesday.

Edit: also pay $105 a month, on time, and seeing as how people who bought phones in December seems to be eligible, we should definitely be.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
You should definitely call them. I got my 3G in December 08...and also have a FAN account and I get the "upgrade with 2 yr commitment and waive the $18 upgrade fee."

Good luck. :)

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
did you get any different phone since then or put your sim in a diff phone

Yeah I did, I'm using an old Nokia phone. I actually put my sim in an iPhone the other day and tried *639# and got the same message. I called AT&T tonight and the guy had no idea about the early upgrades (wasn't suprised) but he said the phone on my account was the iPhone and I still have the data plan.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
You should definitely call them. I got my 3G in December 08...and also have a FAN account and I get the "upgrade with 2 yr commitment and waive the $18 upgrade fee."

Good luck. :)

I tried calling the ATT rep didn't know anything. They're clueless. I'll try calling again today

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
It's all you have to go by at this point.

yeah just got off the phone with AT&T and they said I should be set to get the best iPhone pricing, although she was sorta clueless. I've learned through this whole debacle that AT&T do not tell their customer services reps anything.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Try being in my shoes, ATT shows my purchase date of my 3GS iPhone on August 30 2009. My upgrade date is 1/31/2011. They can't tell me why my upgrade date is 5 months later than my purchase. And yes my 3GS is my primary line, so it should be 12 months. I have a family plan with two phones and a bill over $150 a month. Makes no sense.

I am just going to add a line and get the phone and my Mom is going to get my old 3G (new line), and my wife will get the 3GS(my current) and I will use the iPhone4. I was told ATT will give me new sims.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
It looks like I'm gonna have to skip iPhone 4, not even eligible to upgrade with 399/499. No way I'm gonna pay full price. iPhone 5 is already in development, with full res front camera and touch sensitive backside, not sure how that would be used.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
It looks like I'm gonna have to skip iPhone 4, not even eligible to upgrade with 399/499. No way I'm gonna pay full price. iPhone 5 is already in development, with full res front camera and touch sensitive backside, not sure how that would be used.

LOL>....source?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009

LOL, where have you seen this mystery device....lol. Dude, I'm just as bummed as you, you can't get the phone, but don't go just pulling iPhone 5 specs out of thin air, iPhone 4 can't even be pre-rdered yet....jeez dude

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Source?? Common sense.
Of course the iPhone 5 is in devleopment

Yeah, all future products, are in dev. The dude started giving specs and features to iPhone 5, we barley know them for iPhone 4 and he's giving us specs and multitouch features, we barely know iPhone 4 yet and dudes giving iPhone 5 info, come on now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.