Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JefferyShin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Hello,

I just did a clean install of my Mac, and don't ask why, but I forgot to backup my iPhoto library.

The only place where those photos are kept are my Mac, and my iPad, which it was synced to.

Is there any way I can take albums off my iPad? Without emailing every single picture from the iPad to myself and downloading it on my Mac? Thanks.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I had this same problem the other day, although with music, but the solution is the same.

Download "iPhone Explorer", it has iPad support and lets you look into the file system of the iPad. You can access your music and photos using it. They won't be named anything familiar and will be spread out across a few folders but it is easier/faster then mass mailing them.

For the future I'd recommend uploading your photos to a service like Picasa.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
One possibility that might help: Check the app store for Photo Transfer. You can transfer in either direction from iPhone/iPad/computer, so long as both devices are on the same Wifi network.

I used it to remove a couple hundred pics from my old iPhone the other day. Not super fast, but it does work pretty well. As it doesn't download directly to iPhoto and doesn't use iTunes, you won't encounter any sync issues with those programs. It's not a whole lot faster than the email routine as it works best with about 30 photos at a time, but it doesn't appear to compress them, which is a plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.