Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Stangs55
macrumors 6502a

Exclamation WAIT... WiFi can Stay Connected while on Standby!?!?

I work in a place where there is zero AT&T reception, but WiFi coverage in 100% of the area. I just read that iOS4 will allow WiFi to stay connected even when the device is in standby,, IS THIS TRUE?!

And if so, could I just get a skype landline number, stay connected to WiFi, and use my iPhone 4 at work through Skype?! (please say "yes"!)

EDIT: Alright.... iOS4 is out... any answer to this question?

Last edited by Stangs55; Jun 21, 2010 at 10:56 PM.
Stangs55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:25 AM   #2
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Not sure about staying connected when in standby.
I can see the pros and the con's to both.

Having it stay connected, wouldn't that run the battery down faster?

But having it stay connected, you should be able to use Skype/etc. that way.

Hmm, maybe have it as an option would be nice. But I don't see that happening.
iceterminal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Willis
macrumors 68020

I have OS 4 GM on my iPhone and in standby, it doesn't show Wifi as being connected until I get to my home screen.

Maybe if the app is active and then turns the screen off it stays on, but I havent got anything to test it with.
Willis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:28 AM   #4
nolesfan
Banned

I am in the same boat so I hope that it does work on stand by. Even if not though it should work with skype anyways because you can have it open in the back ground I believe.
nolesfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:30 AM   #5
profets
macrumors 65816

I assumed thats what they meant by "Persistent WiFi" as one of iOS4 features. From those of you with OS4 installed, is it not working, or is there an option somewhere?
profets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Ice-Cube
macrumors 6502a

Not sure if thats a good thing considering the effect on battery life. I hope there's an option to turn it off or on.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:43 AM   #7
jdusoccer12
macrumors regular

It is a feature that they show for the iPod Touch. http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ios4-...re-update.html I can see the iPod Touch having it because it has no other way to get skype calls but they don't show it for the iPhone because it is connected to 3G to get calls. But it would be a nice feature to have.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:45 AM   #8
uberamd
macrumors 68030

Doesn't 3G use more battery than wifi?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:46 AM   #9
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
Maybe if the app is active and then turns the screen off it stays on, but I havent got anything to test it with.
Isn't that true now (i.e. with the 2.x-3.x firmwares)? For instance, if I lock the screen using the NPR or Pandora apps, they keep streaming content over WiFi (just as they do for EDGE/3G data connections).

By extension, one would hope that would be true for these apps if they run in the background; otherwise, having them run in the background would be annoying, since one would have to make them active again before locking the phone....
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:44 PM   #10
Stangs55
macrumors 6502a

Any update on this for those with GM?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Damitri
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
Isn't that true now (i.e. with the 2.x-3.x firmwares)? For instance, if I lock the screen using the NPR or Pandora apps, they keep streaming content over WiFi (just as they do for EDGE/3G data connections).

By extension, one would hope that would be true for these apps if they run in the background; otherwise, having them run in the background would be annoying, since one would have to make them active again before locking the phone....
Yes my iPad (WiFi only) keeps getting emails even when it has been on standby for a long time. And battery time is still awesome. Why would this be any different on the iPhone? Did anybody try turning off 3G data but not WiFi and then just leave the phone for a couple of hours?
Damitri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:57 PM   #12
techwarrior
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post
I work in a place where there is zero AT&T reception, but WiFi coverage in 100% of the area. I just read that iOS4 will allow WiFi to stay connected even when the device is in standby,, IS THIS TRUE?!

And if so, could I just get a skype landline number, stay connected to WiFi, and use my iPhone 4 at work through Skype?! (please say "yes"!)
Sort of... iOS 4 touts the ability for WiFi to remain connected when the phone is sleeping, and Skype has been demonstrated as a multitasking app that will ring when it is in the background...that should work regardless of data network as Skype is now capable of 3G. However, Skype update is not yet available with multitasking...when it is, the answer will be absolutely YES.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 01:00 PM   #13
jtp098
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberamd View Post
Doesn't 3G use more battery than wifi?
yep.. A LOT MORE...
jtp098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 01:02 PM   #14
Stangs55
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwarrior View Post
Sort of... iOS 4 touts the ability for WiFi to remain connected when the phone is sleeping, and Skype has been demonstrated as a multitasking app that will ring when it is in the background...that should work regardless of data network as Skype is now capable of 3G. However, Skype update is not yet available with multitasking...when it is, the answer will be absolutely YES.
Actually, the bigger issue with me is that I have no 3G reception where I work, but I have WiFi everywhere....so even with multitasking, if my WiFi is not running in the background, I'll receive no Skype calls.

What I need is for WiFi to remain on even when I am in standby so that Skype maintains a connection to the Skype servers.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:56 PM   #15
Stangs55
macrumors 6502a

Alright.... iOS4 is out... any answer to this question?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:05 PM   #16
outphase
macrumors 65816

Persistent wifi is only on the iPod Touch. Sorry.
outphase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:06 PM   #17
WardC
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to WardC
iPads stay connected and download e-mail messages on WiFi while on standby, I can hear my iPad "ding" all night when it's on standby. I don't see why the iPhone couldn't do the same exact thing.

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 05:11 AM   #18
Arne
macrumors regular

@Stangs55 I think I have some good news for you:

Yesterday I was at the university and I noticed, that the wifi was always on (persistent connection, I confirmed this later with my router at home). I thought that was just a iOS4 bug, but as it turned out, my cellular data was not working due to a problem with all german iPhones on T-Mobile, that had been jailbroken using Spirit in OS 3.1.3.

The obvious conclusion is, that the iPhone does indeed use a persistent wifi connection, if there is no cellular data available. That means (if I am correct), that you will indeed be able to use a skype landline number at work, the push and the voice data would be routed over wifi and wifi will stay connected the entire time you are out of coverage.
Arne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:59 AM   #19
ianray
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post
iPads stay connected and download e-mail messages on WiFi while on standby, I can hear my iPad "ding" all night when it's on standby. I don't see why the iPhone couldn't do the same exact thing.
Do you have Push email? Do you have mail set to 'Fetch' on a periodic basis?

Or is it really so that iPad stays connected to Wi-Fi, and achieves great battery life?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 07:28 AM   #20
Phil Lee
macrumors 6502

I have a 3GS running iOS 4 with Gmail setup to push. I just switched off cellular data so the only data connection was via wifi. I put it to sleep then waited a couple of minutes before sending myself an email. My iPad and iPhone notified me the email had arrived within a second of each other without waking up. This suggests that wifi is indeed persistent with iOS 4.
Phil Lee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 07:32 AM   #21
Kadman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
I have a 3GS running iOS 4 with Gmail setup to push. I just switched off cellular data so the only data connection was via wifi. I put it to sleep then waited a couple of minutes before sending myself an email. My iPad and iPhone notified me the email had arrived within a second of each other without waking up. This suggests that wifi is indeed persistent with iOS 4.
Now THAT'S how you test something! Awesome. Thanks for the lab work!
Kadman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 07:32 AM   #22
Xirian
macrumors member

I had my sim removed and my phone sitting for an hour and got a push alert from facebook via wifi, so yes, it seems to stay connected.
Xirian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 05:54 AM   #23
NeonKitten
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb

Another way of testing, of course, is to look at your WiFi router's status pages if you have access to them.

My 3GS running iOS4 is set up to automatically use my WiFi when I'm at home. On previous OS versions, once the phone was in standby the WiFi connection would be terminated.

However looking at my router status now, I see my iPhone's MAC and IP address on the "connected wireless clients" list, and as I type this it has been connected for 7 hours 42 minutes. All of that time the phone has been in standby and with a 5-bar 3G cellular connection. I can ping it from my desktop machine while it's in standby and get a response. iOS4 very definitely does implement persistent WiFi on the iPhone, no question.

My problem with it is simple: if WiFi uses more power than 3G - the oft-mentioned reason why the phone's connection for push has always been 3G even when in WiFi coverage - then why do we not have an option to turn persistent WiFi off? (I don't want to disable WiFi altogether, I just don't want the phone using WiFi when not in use).

It possibly explains why my 3GS's battery drains ridiculously fast when I'm at home, but at the normal rate when I'm out.
NeonKitten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:03 AM   #24
iMacDragon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKitten View Post
Another way of testing, of course, is to look at your WiFi router's status pages if you have access to them.

My 3GS running iOS4 is set up to automatically use my WiFi when I'm at home. On previous OS versions, once the phone was in standby the WiFi connection would be terminated.

However looking at my router status now, I see my iPhone's MAC and IP address on the "connected wireless clients" list, and as I type this it has been connected for 7 hours 42 minutes. All of that time the phone has been in standby and with a 5-bar 3G cellular connection. I can ping it from my desktop machine while it's in standby and get a response. iOS4 very definitely does implement persistent WiFi on the iPhone, no question.

My problem with it is simple: if WiFi uses more power than 3G - the oft-mentioned reason why the phone's connection for push has always been 3G even when in WiFi coverage - then why do we not have an option to turn persistent WiFi off? (I don't want to disable WiFi altogether, I just don't want the phone using WiFi when not in use).

It possibly explains why my 3GS's battery drains ridiculously fast when I'm at home, but at the normal rate when I'm out.
Wifi uses way less power than 3g.

even apples battery stats indicate that:

Internet use:
Up to 6 hours on 3G
Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
iMacDragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:29 PM   #25
ianray
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKitten View Post

However looking at my router status now, I see my iPhone's MAC and IP address on the "connected wireless clients" list, and as I type this it has been connected for 7 hours 42 minutes. All of that time the phone has been in standby and with a 5-bar 3G cellular connection.
This is very interesting. I checked my iPhone 3GS + iOS4 with Airport Utility, and see that iPhone disconnects when locked (assuming push notifications, push email, etc are all off).

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone