Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miner Willy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Bradford, UK
I have an annoying problem with my brand new 17" Powerbook. I suspect it's me, not my machine, but I'm sure you folks will tell me anyway.

Why does my Superdrive (Matshita) only write at x1 on x4 media. I only use branded Verbatim x4 media (I'm not the one who pays the bills) I thought that apple had sorted out all those speed issues. I'm using toast 5.2. Does anyone have any suggestions?

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Miner Willy said:
I have an annoying problem with my brand new 17" Powerbook. I suspect it's me, not my machine, but I'm sure you folks will tell me anyway.

Why does my Superdrive (Matshita) only write at x1 on x4 media. I only use branded Verbatim x4 media (I'm not the one who pays the bills) I thought that apple had sorted out all those speed issues. I'm using toast 5.2. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have heard the media can make a difference. I use Sony and have had great luck with dvd burning on my iMac. I think I remember someone NOT rec. Verbatim...but can't tell you for sure...was in the forum someplace a while back about media...you might search for it under dvd and media?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have had no issues with TDK, Sony or Fuji media burning at 4x.

I have had problems with the current CompUSA 2x media burning at only 1x.

And I have had issues with Memorex media with the layers separating. This can be hazardous to your drive and makes the media worthless. The CompUSA 2x media has the same issue.

It seems that different brands have problems with Cd media then the brands that have issues with their DVD media.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Have you tried looking for Matshita Firmware updates? What is the model number of you drive? I'm sure that your drive would have an update for it.

[Using these patches will void your warranty, and if used incorrectly, they can damage your drive, so be sure to read the instructions. So be careful.]

The Mac DVD Resource
--my bad these codes are for Region Free codes for your DVD Drive

Miner Willy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Bradford, UK
Thanks

Will have a look fpr a firmware update, thanks. Strange thing is I can write at x2 in a much older Pioneer A04 without problems.

Hmmm :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.