Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When will it be released?

• July

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • August

Votes: 22 3.4%
  • September

Votes: 520 79.8%
  • After September

Votes: 55 8.4%
  • NEVER!!!

Votes: 48 7.4%

• Total voters

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
I was just reviewing the new iPhone's innovations. I think a lot of these iPhone innovations definetly rub off on the Ipod Touch 4G. Such as:

Camera, definetly
Maybe facetime
Multi Tasking
Better Res, maybe not HD, but better
App Folders
Ability to change your springboard
Reintroduction of 16gb storage capacity

Just Maybe:cool:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I was just reviewing the new iPhone's innovations. I think a lot of these iPhone innovations definetly rub off on the Ipod Touch 4G. Such as:

Camera, definetly
Maybe facetime
Multi Tasking
Better Res, maybe not HD, but better
App Folders
Ability to change your springboard
Reintroduction of 16gb storage capacity

Just Maybe:cool:

Camera? Not unless the device gets thicker. Apple doesn't like thicker.
Multitasking-guaranteed it's in 4.0
Better res? Likely
Folders- guaranteed in 4.0
Change springboard- guaranteed in 4.0
16gb seems like a step backwards.

SpencerShow

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
Better res? Likely

Camera = thicker? what planet are you on? they just released the 'thinnest smartphone on the market' and that includes two cameras!
all 4.0 features not pertaining to the phone. facetime no. 16 gb yes. better res, yeah probably. really hoping for the new iphone 4 form factor though. its jsut so sleek.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
I personally dont see how 16gb is a step backward, just cause they got rid of it. last year they confirmed the 3rd gen was gonna have a camera but at the last minute they got rid of it because of some mechanical failure. just based off of the iphone, thats why i said maybe to facetime, they really should have the springboard change, i mean its not that big of a deal, but it makes your ipod touch.... more you. a better res would be nice, has anybody looked at the retina display? its absolutely amazing!!!! i think the touch should have the same glass of the iphone 4, sounds ridiculous, the touch's glass is already scratch resistant enough, well i guess more protection cant hurt, :p, using the same glass that trains and helicopter use, and then stiffening and hardening it like 30x!!! with a zagg invisible shield(made of the plastic that keeps car glass from shattering), the iphones screen would be invincible. i know this doesnt prove much, cause its not dropping, but its pretty cool

iJammer9

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
Camera = thicker? what planet are you on? they just released the 'thinnest smartphone on the market' and that includes two cameras!

The current iPod Touch is thinner than the iPhone 4. So adding a camera would mean having to expand it. Adding a camera and making it as thinner than it already is is just absurd.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
yah, but the iphone also crams in a ton of other stuff.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
all 4.0 features not pertaining to the phone. facetime no. 16 gb yes. better res, yeah probably. really hoping for the new iphone 4 form factor though. its jsut so sleek.

Apple didn't bevel this phone. This iPod touch is severely beveled. Without an extreme redesign it simply won't fit.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Apple didn't bevel this phone. This iPod touch is severely beveled. Without an extreme redesign it simply won't fit.

I don't think that is accurate. True, the camera that is in the iPhone won't fit, but as tear downs of the iPod Touch 3G shows there is a spot for a camera just a smaller one. It was removed at the last minute due to quality issues.

They have had a year to work on it and I would be stunned if there was not a camera on the 4G Touch. Maybe it will be video only but that is ok. We want a replacement for our Flips.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
i doubt the ipod touch 4g will have a camera as great as the iphone 4g (5megapixels), they added a camera to the nano and it managed to stay as slim, or at least close. i guess we'll all see when it comes out around September. :D

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Expect the Touch 4 to be a total redesign that matches the iPhone 4 in detail. Apple is moving the whole line to that new look. I expect the next Nano to go there too. For what it's worth, there is already a camera in the current Nano. That should be thin enough.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
i wonder if the ipod touch 4g will be square. its supposed to come around september, like all the other apple products, for the most part.

Musicman777

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
I guess I don't understand why apple wouldn't have the Touch 4g share the same physical design as iPhone 4. ??

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
Here are my thoughts.

1. The touch will see a whole new design. We had the same look for the past two years. Seeing a new design that may mock the iPhone would be idea as the frame will be the structure, like unibody. We willow no longer see the mirror backing.
2. The touch will get iOS 4.0 of course.
3. The touch will get a camera. Photo apps will sale even more with the expansion of devices.
4. Facetime will come to the touch. Steve said they will sale tens of millions of face time devices. The touch will be one of them.
5. Volume control buttons may change to the iphone styling
6. Retna display. Same pixels and resolution as the iPhone 4.
7. Orention lock
8. Possisble iPad backing?
9. 32Gb and 64GB storage. $199 and $299 respectfully
10. Possisble 3G version but highly unlikely.

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
Better res? Likely

I will say this as I have before. A camera is a must if they want to sell a lot. I know a lot of my friends will be upgrading from our 2Gs because we know there will be cameras. Why would people want to upgrade for only a faster processor and bigger battery? There has to be a camera. The Touch is following the way the iPhone has been upgrading.

1G- a little shakey, but the first of it's kind.
2G- change in design, and faster
3G- twice as fast as 2G
4G- the biggest leap forward

And the biggest leap for the Touch would be a camera.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
-i have already adressed the absence of the mirror backing, definetly a new design
-no idea what iOs4, would someone care to define this?
-camera is an obvious addition, sales would boost so much, vs. not having a camera, not having one would be just stupid.
-facetime doesnt seem needed, but i guess its a nice addition
-possible volume control change, maybe to the iphones styling
-i dont think retina, but a better res, again it would be stupid to not have that
-oriention lock?
-definite better backing
-that would be awesome, but i doubt it-16gb/32gb/64gb-199/299/399-maybe 128gb, but i dont think sales would be high for it, maybe 149 for a 8gb, maybe.... i guess we'll all find out around September :p
hopefully earlier

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
well i knew that much:D, but are there any special advantages?
i can understand 8gb, but getting rid of 16gb? i dont think theyll put 32gb up for $200, and they need a low end cost item.

guess we'll all see in September

Silofolous

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
-i have already adressed the absence of the mirror backing, definetly a new design
-no idea what iOs4, would someone care to define this?
-camera is an obvious addition, sales would boost so much, vs. not having a camera, not having one would be just stupid.
-facetime doesnt seem needed, but i guess its a nice addition
-possible volume control change, maybe to the iphones styling
-i dont think retina, but a better res, again it would be stupid to not have that
-oriention lock?
-definite better backing
-that would be awesome, but i doubt it-16gb/32gb/64gb-199/299/399-maybe 128gb, but i dont think sales would be high for it, maybe 149 for a 8gb, maybe.... i guess we'll all find out around September :p
hopefully earlier

I'm thinking it's gonna get a retina display. The iPhone and the iPod Touch have the same size screen, so it's not like the iPad where putting in a retina display would require more R&D. They already have a stack of retina displays perfectly suitable for the iPod Touch sitting somewhere within Apple because of the iPhone.

And you didn't say it, but I'm thinking the 8Gb and 16Gb are still popular, at least the 16Gb. I think the big draw about the iPod Touch is that it's basically iPhone Lite, and because of that the price is also lightened. Keeping those lower amounts keep lower prices, which are a big draw. I know I plan on upgrading even if I have to get the 32Gb, but I think I'm a little different from the target consumer because I don't upgrade every year, I have a 1G, so spending the extra money for something I'll be using for years (plural, not singular) is worth it to me.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
i guess that makes sense, i think a retina would increase demand too.

it makes sense to rid of 8gb, but i think the 16gb would be the most popular. i dont upgrade ever year either, ive never had an ipod touch, or ipod product so... yah, its just a mp3

again we'll see in September. :cool:

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
I never upgraded to the 3rd gen touch. I owned a first gen and a second gen. The third was not a worthwhile upgrade even if it was bumped to 64GB. My first iPod ever was the fifth gen iPod classic and that came in 60GB but it was hard drive base not flash

liamkp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 29, 2010
the processor speed was like doubled, but thats about it, i think.

old school... lol. my first ipod was...... never! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.