Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:33 PM   #1
DownbeatDave
macrumors newbie

Access Time Capsule Disk From Windows over Internet

How can I set up my Time Capsule so that a Windows user on the WAN side can access a shared disk over the internet?

The TC is set up as the router/firewall, and the cable modem is bridged. I'm using DynDNS for domain name mapping. I can access the TC disk from an outside mac, but not windows.
DownbeatDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Alrescha
macrumors 65816

I think you will find that most residential internet providers filter Microsoft file sharing protocols.

A.
Alrescha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 02:01 PM   #3
DownbeatDave
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrescha View Post
I think you will find that most residential internet providers filter Microsoft file sharing protocols.

A.
That's OK. SMB, FTP, Web access is great if it works. Even Bonjour from Windows.
DownbeatDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Alrescha
macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, I was too brief.

The Airport Express / Time Capsule supports Apple file sharing (AFP) and Windows file sharing (SMB). Bonjour isn't a file sharing protocol per se, it's an announcement protocol.

Since Windows doesn't use AFP (at least not without some third-party product), and Windows file sharing is <probably> blocked by your ISP, "You can't get there from here".

A.
Alrescha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:43 PM   #5
belvdr
macrumors 68040

To add to that, Bonjour usually does not work across subnets. In other words, it will not work across the Internet, unless you are using special DNS servers.
belvdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking