Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Today my yahoo email account started sending spam to my contacts today. It was some Canadian prescription drug website. Ive already changed my password. Does anyone know how this happened?

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Today my yahoo email account started sending spam to my contacts today. It was some Canadian prescription drug website. Ive already changed my password. Does anyone know how this happened?

I had the same thing happen to me about a week ago.

I have a few yahoo accounts for different boards - mac rumors, running, scuba, etc - only the one that gets a ton of spam anyway (due to my using that account for my kids to enter online contests) is the one that was affected.

It also sent the same links that your did. I noticed that it didn't send them all at once, and only to a few contacts at a time. I'm not sure how it happened, but I solved the problem by deleting all my contacts from that account. I just pull up an old email if I need to email anyone that I'm still in contact with.

Anybody have any ideas how it happened? Especially seeing as I'm using a Mac Mini with all the latest updates to Snow Leopard, and the latest version of Firefox as my browser.

Possibly some dodgy link that I inadvertently clicked on. But at that time of day that the spam was sent, between 5PM and 6PM, I'm usually only reading news sites.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
The only reason i knew this was happening, was because i got one of these in my email MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com. and i hadn't sent any email out. I even looked in my sent box and nothing was there.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
It happens from time to time.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/909498/

If you want a solution, switch to GMail.

Gmail isn't a solution to this. My girlfriend had the same thing happen last week with her Gmail account. At the same time, she also had >£200 taken from her bank account.

Just to be safe, check your bank accounts for anything unusual and change all your passwords to something more secure.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I had this happen to my Gmail about 6 months ago. It was definitely not a spoofed email address, since the email was sent to all of my contacts in Gmail. If I recall, the message was also in my sent items folder. Nothing else was ever compromised.

donmos

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Solution

so is there any solution to this? Haw are they able to send spam from my account, i get mailer daemons and my sent folder is full of an online business scam.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Gmail isn't a solution to this. My girlfriend had the same thing happen last week with her Gmail account. At the same time, she also had >£200 taken from her bank account.

Just to be safe, check your bank accounts for anything unusual and change all your passwords to something more secure.

Gmail has two step authentication, so yes, it is a solution if you know how to use all the security features properly. Set that up and you know that someone can only spoof your e-mail address, they can't comprise it unless they physically steal your phone.

Another good preventative measure is to make a junk account for registrations and only give your personal one to friends. It makes you a lot less likely to become a target of something like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.