Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
[Edit: I have since started a spreadsheet for Cases, Sleeves and Bags...found here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Av1TgV270uIadFd5VWh3MGR5bnV2TDFxRWFnV2p5eHc&hl=en

Anybody can edit...feel free to list your bags there for the benefit of everybody. Thanks!]

Ok guys. I am on a search for the ideal carry bag. But this is more than a search for the case...it is an image issue.

How are you carrying your case and avoiding looking too Geekish, girly, or whatever term may apply?

In other words, what is the best way to carry the iPad discreetly. I don't care what people think, but a guy walking into a room with a strap over their shoulder is going to draw some attention (Starbucks doesn't count).

BUT, this not just about an image issue. It is more about comfort COMBINED with image. This is not just about what men look like carrying purses in to places like Lowes or Tuesdays. Women have it a little easier because they can throw their iPad in their purse. Guys have to be a lot more selective, IMHO.

Currently I am using a 9x12 neoprene case that is a little too large. It was for an 11" netbook...but in a lot of regards, it is pretty nice. It has two front facing pockets that are quite large as each one that opens extends all the way across to the other side such that they are over lapping. I have my pad in a Incase Grip that is close fitting and not too much bigger than the iPad...but it does eliminate several options. I like the freedom of having the iPad as slim as possible for most uses, well protected, and it slips right into it's bag when it is time to travel.

But, the neoprene case is a little too big. So, I am trying to find a smaller one...like for a 10" netbook. I am also trying to find one that has a shoulder strap as an option.

I kind of like this one so far:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180515893450&_trksid=p2759.l1259

But I don't like how it opens ALL the way. My current one only opens along the top and then 2/3 along the sides. If I am sliding the iPad in and out a bunch, it is easy to do.

So, what do you think...would you wear this bag out into public? I mean to places like grocery shopping, lowes, to the work out gym (and not stuffed in the workout bag).

Ladies...I don't mean to exclude you...you have it good...I have always envied you all when it comes to tech gear. From the days of the Newton that BARELY fit in an overside slacks pocket...to now with the iPad. I would be so easy to get a bigger purse...and what an awesome setup that would be.

Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think any case specially designed for the iPad with a strap is bound to resemble a purse. Best just to bite the bullet and get matching shoes.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Tumi have a couple that are slim compact and respectable for a man to carry. Nothing girly about it at all.

Tumi Netbook Case
149070_1_1

http://www.tumi.com/business-and-laptop/netbook-cases/netbook-carry-cover/

Tumi small pocket bag - $125 9.5" x 8"
135973_1_5

http://www.tumi.com/alpha/pocket-bag-small/

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
I think any case specially designed for the iPad with a strap is bound to resemble a purse. Best just to bite the bullet and get matching shoes.

My wife said something similar when I was showing her a Pink Case that looked smaller than the one I have.

Tumi have a couple that are slim compact and respectable for a man to carry. Nothing girly about it at all.

Hmm...not too bad. Still a little large...except I see you just edited with a smaller one. This does give me an idea to check Office Depot which I haven't done so far.

Thanks!

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
Kifaru's Koala bag. You can place the iPad in the back, padded compartment that is really intended for quick access to a handgun, or if you use that compartment for the designer's original intended purpose, and the iPad does fit in the front compartment just fine, even with stuff in the pockets and zippered internal mesh pocket.

Advantage is in no way would this bag every be confused for a purse or murse and it is QUITE durable.

Zodiak

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Gatineau, Qc, Canada
I ordered the Waterfield Design Ultimate Sleeve.

I think it looks very sleek. It's fitted for the ipad, it has a micro fiber face that cleans the ipad, it has rigid protection woven into the fabric and it doesnt look like a purse or a bag so to speak

sleevecase_leather_lg.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_g0ob0csMg&feature=player_embedded
http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/sleevecases-ipad.php

I also hear good things about bags from Tom Bihn, reports of products lasting 7 years.

ipadristretto5.jpg

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0222

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
+1 on the Waterfield Ultimate Sleeve - it's got plenty of padding for the iPad with nothing frilly about it. You can take it as a plain sleeve or when ordering add D-rings, strap and an attachment pouch. I preferred the plain sleeve. Easy to transport alone or throw into a backpack/case when I need to travel with other things.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada

The thinner the shoulder strap the more feminine it looks. Get a wide strap like the ones found on real messenger bags that messengers use.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Really?!?

Another one of these threads?!?

I am very surprised how many "Men" here on MR who are so insecure with their own manhood.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Neoprene is for sissies, or the spongy hospital shoe set!!!

But seriously....
My very real fear of exposing my naked iPad in public was eased, by first, downloading a drawing app, then, with my precision stylus in hand, I doodled the biggest iPenis I could dare to imagine on the 9.7" screen, (per Apple's specs) and it worked!! No one wondered what an iPad carrying guy like me might fantasize about, my rendering is a very clever distraction, I must say. I didn't even know I was such an arteest! and there's nothing wrong with that. It's no still life, I'll tell ya that!

It's just a little risky, you know...touch screen and all, but I have a power support anti glare screen guard on and only the battery is goin' down. I'm good to go, safely doodlin' for hours all over town!

So guys, get your drawing skills up, and show that oh so cruel world that you don't need no Freakin' neoprene!

Star56

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Accessorizing properly is the key to remaining manly while carrying the ipad in public.

I always have my Glock 19 in a fashionable leather holster on my right hip. In Ohio, you can "open carry" legally. An ipad in a soft leather carrying case is manned-up when paired with an exposed firearm.

Seriously!

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
I am ever so slightly paranoid, so I have mine inside its Vaja iVolution, inside a neoprene case inside a good ol' man bag. Currently I'm using the 10" Knomo Bungo messenger bag in brown, and am loving it. Fits my iPad, Bluetooth GPS, MiFi wireless router and a host of other gubbins without feeling too bulky or heavy, and also looks great. Gives me a place to hang my cans on the strap, a bit of head room for sunglasses and space for other manly things like Vaseline.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I currently have two bags and a third on order.

I agree with the comment about the strap. The wider it is, the less feminine it looks. I have two designer bags from the Men's lines and my third will be the Muzetto 10" Personal bag.

I personally feel that they all look masculine, but YMMV.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
It's not really about that ....

The point is, a lot of people are designing iPad accessories that just don't take into account male vs. female style and preferences!

A carrying bag is a fashion accessory as much as anything else, no matter how much a person wants to deny it. Even if I buy a plain black vinyl, zippered bag for my laptop, for example, it makes some kind of statement about me as I walk around with it. (Probably says "He likes things plain vanilla and boring. He's practical but more interested in saving a buck than in treating his gear a little bit better.")

IMO, the iPad is small and thin enough that any traditional bag with straps, designed to carry it, is going to have a feminine look to it. It's somewhat unavoidable, because we're mentally conditioned to think that carrying bags with a pair of straps are only needed by guys when we're carrying around bigger, heavier stuff. (So a gym bag would NOT have this issue, nor would a bag made for a 17" laptop.)

Personally, I think the iPad looks the most "professional" when it's carried around with a simple "book cover" type sleeve around it, (like the original iPad case Apple sells for it). This makes it look like you're carrying around a notepad or a day-timer organizer or something. It's not too flashy or obvious, and the device is light and thin enough that it's not a big deal to carry it under your arm this way.

If you really need both hands free all the time for other stuff, you can probably just throw the iPad in a bigger book-bag or attache case or what-not, along with some of your other stuff?

Really?!?

Another one of these threads?!?

I am very surprised how many "Men" here on MR who are so insecure with their own manhood.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I understand your dilemma. The ladies do "have it easy" in this department. I sympathize with your situation and hope the gentlemen here, have some good suggestions for you :eek:

mrcc

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
I don't need a bag. Right now I'm at the doctors office for a check up. And I just carry my iPad with the apple case. The only time I would use a bag is to carry the blue tooth keyboard.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I ordered the Waterfield Design Ultimate Sleeve.

I think it looks very sleek. It's fitted for the ipad, it has a micro fiber face that cleans the ipad, it has rigid protection woven into the fabric and it doesnt look like a purse or a bag so to speak

http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/images/sleevecase_leather_lg.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_g0ob0csMg&feature=player_embedded
http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/sleevecases-ipad.php

This is the bag I use as well. I actually had the bag already from my Fujitsu P1620 and find that the ipad AND apple case fit absolutely perfectly in it, yay for recycling items. If I'm walking around I'll usually just hand carry my ipad in its apple case, but there are times, like when I take my motorcycle to the gym, where I need it over my shoulder.

igetit

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
Snoqualmie, WA
This is what I use. The messenger has a laptop pocket to support a 14 inch laptop but the iPad fits well. There is also a inner zipper which is smaller and iPad seems to fit well in there. Good bag to carry with a book or 2 and an iPad.
http://www.kennethcole.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3072504&cp=3075198.3075278.3075281

Hi,

It looks like a great bag and very professional. I wish the Kenneth Cole catalog had more pictures of the inner side of the bag. You don't happen to have some to help potential buyers? :D

jonutarr

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2006
OZ
It's the same with cars, little ones are to girly (I'm not to fussed though, my wife and I share a white Toyota Echo) :eek:

A medium size backpack or briefcase would be only things manyish IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.