Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:39 AM   #1
fairtrade
Banned

I thought Pages on my iPad would sync with my Mac. Am I wrong?

I was hoping to be able to create a document on Pages on my iPad, plug into iTunes and then have it available to edit on my Mac.

However, I can't do it nor see a way of doing it. Am I missing something?

I don't really see the point of being able to create docs on my iPad if they then don't sync with my Mac.
fairtrade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairtrade View Post
I was hoping to be able to create a document on Pages on my iPad, plug into iTunes and then have it available to edit on my Mac.

You need to "export" it first. Yeah, I know, very weird way to handle the files, I have no idea why they did it this way, and I sure hope they fix it soon!
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:25 PM   #3
fairtrade
Banned

Oh dear.

I have various plans and spreadsheets that I might update every couple of days. I was hoping to do work at home on my Mac then just sync my iPad, slip it in my bag and have all the necessary documents ready to view and edit. Then, once back at the home office, re-sync with my Mac and continue where I left off in the meeting. Seems that isn't the case and instead I'm going to have all sorts of different versions of the same file scattered around. Is that correct?

I'm in my free trial of iDisk and can't see that that's going to help.

Seems this iPad was a bit of a waste of 599. I may as well continue to take my MacBook Pro to meetings instead.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:40 PM   #4
admanimal
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I may as well continue to take my MacBook Pro to meetings instead.
Is this Macbook Pro the same one you would want to sync the iPad with in your home office?
admanimal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:43 PM   #5
thewiccaman
macrumors member

Quote:

I don't really see the point of being able to create docs on my iPad if they then don't sync with my Mac.
When you sync your iPad to your Mac, in iTunes under the apps pages is the file sync section. This is where apps, like the iPad iWork ones, that can transfer files to/from your iPad are listed.

Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Oh dear.

I have various plans and spreadsheets that I might update every couple of days. I was hoping to do work at home on my Mac then just sync my iPad, slip it in my bag and have all the necessary documents ready to view and edit. Then, once back at the home office, re-sync with my Mac and continue where I left off in the meeting. Seems that isn't the case and instead I'm going to have all sorts of different versions of the same file scattered around. Is that correct?
It's not quite *that* bad, but close. You drag the document you are working with onto iTunes, into the Apps section as shown in the post above. Then you "import" that file into Pages on iPad. Once you get home, you "export" it, overwriting the copy you originally dragged into iTunes. Then you can save that copy back onto your computer, overwriting the file there. Once you get used to the workflow, it's doable, though it *is* a hassle, and I can't wait for Apple to get their acts together and fix this. Fortunately, since Pages is an App, if and when Apple fixes the file handling, all we'll need to do is update the Pages App, and we will be in business!

As for having all your files handy, I recommend Dropbox. Any files/folders you place in the Drobpox folder will be available to you wherever you have an internet connection, and you can view the files in Dropbox app and open them in Pages from there. You'll still have to "export" files back out, though.

There are also other "Office" apps that have better intergration with the cloud than iWorks, but I've heard mixed reviews about them.

Last edited by Night Spring; Jun 15, 2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 01:01 PM   #7
fairtrade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by admanimal View Post
Is this Macbook Pro the same one you would want to sync the iPad with in your home office?
It is indeed.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Phil Lee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring;
It's not quite *that* bad, but close. You drag the document you are working with onto iTunes, into the Apps section as shown in the post above. Then you "import" that file into Pages on iPad. Once you get home, you "export" it, overwriting the copy you originally dragged into iTunes. Then you can save that copy back onto your computer, overwriting the file there. Once you get used to the workflow, it's doable, though it *is* a hassle, and I can't wait for Apple to get their acts together and fix this. Fortunately, since Pages is an App, if and when Apple fixes the file handling, all we'll need to do is update the Pages App, and we will be in business!
There's a program called Padsync that automates this process.
Phil Lee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
There's a program called Padsync that automates this process.
That is great news! Now if only someone would come up with a program that does this for Windows!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps