Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damnpanpan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Hey guys, I am new here and I think it's a great site!
Hope you guys can help me...

I am thinking about getting a new iBook 12 in for college when the model that ships with Tiger comes out.

I was doing some research and I want to put the Hitachi 7K60 Travelstar (7200 rpm) and an additional 512 or 256 RAM Module from 3rd party assuming it is cheaper, etc.

So my questions are:
1) Are these two upgrades a good idea?
2) Any suggestions on where or when to buy those two components?
3) I can't find any thorough tutorials on how to install these myself (I never taken notebooks apart before, so maybe its a bad idea anyway?) Anyone know how to or can point me in that direction?
4) Will Apple install this stuff for me? How much would it cost and how would it affect warranty?

I want to try figure this stuff out before I buy the notebook because if it appears that the upgrades are too costly or troublesome I will probably just go with customizing the iBook directly through Apple's stuff. (the point is better and cheaper, right? hehe)

Another variation is to live with the standard setup on the iBook until the warranty is up and then find someone (a shop, if Apple wont do it) to install it, or try do it myself.

Wow, I'm exhausted from studying calc so excuse me if this post is long and confusing... bleh

Thanks for all your advice!!
Eric

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
1) Totally! Go for it!
2) http://www.newegg.com Newegg rules. Buy Crucial brand memory.
3) http://uk.geocities.com/ibookupgrade/
4) I don't know about having someone else doing it. Putting in memory is easy and doesn't affect your warranty. The hard drive upgrade will void your warranty, but if you do it right, and have a problem, you can put the old drive back in before you do any warranty stuff.

Lee Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.