Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/benchmark/na/index.html

[8000 and over] Extremely High Performance
Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.
[5500–7999] Very High Performance
Easily capable of running the game. Should perform exceptionally well, even at higher resolutions.
[4500-5499] High Performance
Easily capable of running the game. Should perform well, even at higher resolutions.
[3000-4499] Fairly High Performance
Capable of running the game on default settings. Consider switching to a higher resolution depending on performance.
[2500-2999] Standard Performance
Capable of running the game on default settings.
[2000-2499] Slightly Low Performance
Capable of running the game, but may experience some slowdown. Adjust settings to improve performance.
[1500-1999] Low Performance
Capable of running the game, but will experience considerable slowdown. Adjusting settings is unlikely to improve performance.
[Under 1500] Insufficient Performance
Does not meet specifications for running the game.

I scored 1062 on Low Resolution.

Not too good. On that note, I have been reading about people with some pretty awesome systems only scoring around 2-3000 so I am guessing that we should take this test with a grain of salt. I find it hard to believe that I can play most games on the market at medium-high, sometimes max settings but "do not meet specifications to run this game."

My specs:
15" Macbook Pro
2.66 i7
4gb ram
512mb 330m
Standard Resolution

JDT80

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
PA, USA
Just about the same score as you on low settings

17" i7 MBP
4GB, 330M
default resolution

My 2+ year old desktop, however, scored around a 4k :confused:

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Just about the same score as you on low settings

17" i7 MBP
4GB, 330M
default resolution

My 2+ year old desktop, however, scored around a 4k :confused:

Hm i wonder if it has anything to do with the benchmark program not being completely compatible with bootcamp?

either way the thing is obviously flawed. Saw somebody with a 1gb gpu, faster processor and 6gb of RAM get around the same as me on the ffxiv forums.

JDT80

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
PA, USA
I guess we'll see how we fare on release. I've got my fingers crossed, but I *did* change my preorder to the PS3 version just in case.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I guess we'll see how we fare on release. I've got my fingers crossed, but I *did* change my preorder to the PS3 version just in case.

Whooaa when did preorders go up?

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
I'm only getting about 8 f.p.s. on my 2007 alu imac with a 256 radeon hd card when I play the alpha.

It is dog slow in the city, slightly less slow when out in the field.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I think I did mine around the time that Red Dead Redemption was just coming out.

You did it at a Gamestop? Or on Amazon? Or what?

A pre-order hasn't been officially announced by Square-Enix yet. Heck the game is just now barely going into beta ha.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
Low setting got me a score of about 750.

Funny, the benchmark test ran alot better than the actual game for me.

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
I'm working at SE in London and our testers already have a newer build of the game client which runs way better than the current alpha, on which the benchmark is based on. Expect more performance increases over the time.

micahR

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
Urbana, MD
I'm working at SE in London and our testers already have a newer build of the game client which runs way better than the current alpha, on which the benchmark is based on. Expect more performance increases over the time.
The game will run on Mac & PC, without the need of ridiculously expensive equipment? Will it take the release path of XI and eventually come to all platforms?

JDT80

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
PA, USA
You did it at a Gamestop? Or on Amazon? Or what?

A pre-order hasn't been officially announced by Square-Enix yet. Heck the game is just now barely going into beta ha.

I did mine at my local GameStop. I'm still optimistic for a 2010 release :)

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
The game will run on Mac & PC, without the need of ridiculously expensive equipment? Will it take the release path of XI and eventually come to all platforms?

Unfortunately, as of now, FFXIV will only be available on PC and PLAYSTATION 3, but things might change.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009

iMouse

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Boardman, Ohio
I'm only getting about 8 f.p.s. on my 2007 alu imac with a 256 radeon hd card when I play the alpha.

It is dog slow in the city, slightly less slow when out in the field.

HD 2400 or HD 2600? There is a HUGE difference between the two cards in performance.

Mobility Radeon HD 2400 (Class 3 card) benchmarks at 3091
Mobility Radeon HD 2600 (Class 2 card) benchmarks at 8769

** Nevermind...didn't realize the 2400 was only a 128 MB card. Well, that blows! **

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
The benchmark is definitely running the same as the current alpha client. I get around 2500 on high and just under twice that on low. Running on my $600 Windows box with 2.66GHz i5, 4GB, GeForce 260GTX 896MB. I expect it'll only get better as we get nearer to release.

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
I expect it'll only get better as we get nearer to release.

It will, as I can see the performance of the clients our QA is using here. They are much improved and based on the beta code.
You definitely won't need a high end card to max the game out at a reasonable display resolution.

micahR

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
Urbana, MD
@Dragonforce
I have a whole lot of dumb questions -

1. What market is SE targeting for this game?

1.1 Does SE assume that all of the people playing FFXI will move over to FFXIV?

2. Will an FFXI player's time/items gained in FFXI count towards FFXIV?

3. What will happen to business model of FFXI?

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
@Dragonforce
I have a whole lot of dumb questions -

1. What market is SE targeting for this game?

1.1 Does SE assume that all of the people playing FFXI will move over to FFXIV?

2. Will an FFXI player's time/items gained in FFXI count towards FFXIV?

3. What will happen to business model of FFXI?

All of these questions have been answered a thousand times over on any web site that is covering Final Fantasy XIV.

1. It will be a mix of hardcore and casual gaming.

1.1 Of course they don't assume that? They are a billion dollar industry that has been doing this since the late 80's. Why would they assume something so ignorant? That being said it looks like a LOT of FFXI are switching, which is to be expected.

2. Nothing in FFXI will count towards XIV. It is not meant to be a sequel of any sort. It is an ENTIRELY new game, although a lot of people find it hard to think of it that way lol. ALTHOUGH, SE has said something about maybe being able to hold your name from FFXI.

3. SE has stated recently that they will continue to run and update FFXI for as long as people are playing it. They don't plan on shutting it down any time soon.

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
All of these questions have been answered a thousand times over on any web site that is covering Final Fantasy XIV.

1. It will be a mix of hardcore and casual gaming.

1.1 Of course they don't assume that? They are a billion dollar industry that has been doing this since the late 80's. Why would they assume something so ignorant? That being said it looks like a LOT of FFXI are switching, which is to be expected.

2. Nothing in FFXI will count towards XIV. It is not meant to be a sequel of any sort. It is an ENTIRELY new game, although a lot of people find it hard to think of it that way lol. ALTHOUGH, SE has said something about maybe being able to hold your name from FFXI.

3. SE has stated recently that they will continue to run and update FFXI for as long as people are playing it. They don't plan on shutting it down any time soon.

Basically what he said is correct. Let me add a few things:

1 - We would like to attract most of the FFXI players, that's why you see familiar character designs, so veterans feel "at home". However, quite a lot of people will stay with FFXI because they spent so much time there that they just "can't" leave that easily (e.g. like 2 years raw playing time with an active account for 8 years)

Added: Like he said, it will be for the hardcore and casual players.

2 - Keeping the name shouldn't be possible, as you have to enter a first and second name for all characters. Nothing from FFXI will carry over, but maybe there will be some ingame item that will show that you have played FFXI before. Nothing that would give you an advantage though. Maybe its just a ring with zero stats which you could sport around that says "Hey look, I played FFXI" or a piece of furniture :)

3 - FFXI servers will be kept alive as long as enough people play. We just added content and the level cap will be raised incrementally up to level 99, so there should be lots of excitement for everyone.

houto

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
ran in on my 08 mac pro
octo 2.8
6gig ram
2600xt

assuming the graphics knocks me down a lot
but i got like 800 with nothing else running in w7 pro 64bit
is this down to the boot camp or purely the graphics, theres no decent alternatives to this card though from what ive seen!

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
ran in on my 08 mac pro
octo 2.8
6gig ram
2600xt

assuming the graphics knocks me down a lot
but i got like 800 with nothing else running in w7 pro 64bit
is this down to the boot camp or purely the graphics, theres no decent alternatives to this card though from what ive seen!
No decent alternatives to a 2600xt? How about a 4870?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.