Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dast1g

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Ireland
It's a proximety sensor it's on both phones it just shows up on the white 1 because of the colour of the phone

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
No, there's no grill on the black one. It's not necessary because you can't see the sensors on black, only white.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I don't believe that the black phone actually has a grill. I'm pretty sure that the black phone just has the sensors hidden behind the glass just as the previous iPhones do (you can see them in direct sunlight). But they opted for the grill on the white iPhone, because having a lot of black dotted sensors on the face of the device would look hideous.

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
No, there's no grill on the black one. It's not necessary because you can't see the sensors on black, only white.

I don't believe that the black phone actually has a grill. I'm pretty sure that the black phone just has the sensors hidden behind the glass just as the previous iPhones do (you can see them in direct sunlight). But they opted for the grill on the white iPhone, because having a lot of black dotted sensors on the face of the device would look hideous.

Exactly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.