Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seungmook.lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
I'm about to sell my 3G today. and I got confirmed pre-order i4 yesterday. Do I need the old iPhone to activate or sync for new Phone that I will get on June 24th?

JajoPGH

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
I'm about to sell my 3G today. and I got confirmed pre-order i4 yesterday. Do I need the old iPhone to activate or sync for new Phone that I will get on June 24th?

Your information (like contacts) should be stored in your iTunes if you agreed to that option.

There are plenty of people that are making the 4 their first iPhone.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
You can choose to restore your 3G backup to your iphone 4, but it's not needed at all. The new iphone comes with its own sim card and can be activated in itunes.

Kyliec89

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
no? you get a new sim anyway, and how would people who are new iphone users activate their phone? Tons of people have sold theirs already.

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I've read NO you don't. When your iPhone 4 gets delivered you activate it with iTunes.
You will receive a microSIM card as well.
Just make sure you keep your keep your existing SIM & not leave it in the phone you sell.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Sim to mini(micro)sim

I sold my 3GS and now am left with my sim card. I know that contacts are saved on the sim card, however, with the iphone4 having a micro/minisim, whatever it's called, how will I get my contacts into the new phone. Does the backup done on iTunes capture your contacts even if you select to not sync contacts with outlook (which I didn't)?

dork420

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007
hey I'm taking my brother's 3G once he gets his phone. Does keeping his sim card give me access to his apps? IE when I configure the 3G to my mac can a retain the apps or am I SOL?

Thanks

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
hey I'm taking my brother's 3G once he gets his phone. Does keeping his sim card give me access to his apps? IE when I configure the 3G to my mac can a retain the apps or am I SOL?

Thanks

His iTunes Apps? No. That has absolutely nothing to do with his SIM card. You both need to be on the same iTunes account. Music downloads and App downloads are linked to AppleIDs.

dork420

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007
His iTunes Apps? No. That has absolutely nothing to do with his SIM card. You both need to be on the same iTunes account. Music downloads and App downloads are linked to AppleIDs.

yeah I figured that. So when I activate the 3G with my itunes account it all gets wiped? Any way around that?

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Well, are you on the same account as him? If so, you can just download all of the paid apps on his phone for free on your own computer.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
I sold my 3GS and now am left with my sim card. I know that contacts are saved on the sim card, however, with the iphone4 having a micro/minisim, whatever it's called, how will I get my contacts into the new phone. Does the backup done on iTunes capture your contacts even if you select to not sync contacts with outlook (which I didn't)?

Your contacts are most likely NOT on your SIM card, unless you copied them there.

Yes, they are in your iTunes backup.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Then you are correct. When you sync the phone to your computer, it will update itself with whatever's on your own computer, and erase content that does not belong to your iTunes account.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
we have different itunes accounts.

Don't have to be on the same account. Once he downloads all his apps to the computer, you go back and try to download one of the purchased apps on your account. It will tell you that the app has already been purchased, and it will download for free to your account.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN

Thanks
No - App usage depends on iTunes account information not the Sim card.

dork420

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007
Don't have to be on the same account. Once he downloads all his apps to the computer, you go back and try to download one of the purchased apps on your account. It will tell you that the app has already been purchased, and it will download for free to your account.

we have different computers. He will send his 3G fully loaded when he get his new phone. Are you say I can plug in the fully loaded 3G for the first time on my computer and download the apps?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY

Contacts are not kept on the sim card in an iPhone. You have to sync them in iTunes to be able to restore them. If you do not sync your contacts somewhere and your phone has been wiped out you will have to enter them manually. :(

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008

That is incorrect. If you try to purchase these apps again, you will be charged to your iTunes balance or to your credit card. Like I had said, your computer needs to be registered to the same iTunes account as your brother's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.