Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

<p style="float:right; padding-left:1em;">
091449-iphone_4_side.jpg

</p>DigiTimes reports that Taiwanese manufacture is set to deliver a CDMA version of iPhone 4, which would be compatible with Verizon's network in the United States, to Apple in the fourth quarter of this year.<p class="quote">Pegatron will also start shipping a CDMA version of the iPhone 4 to Apple in the fourth quarter and is currently using its plants in Shanghai, China to produce the products, the sources noted. The company is also working on gaining orders for MacBooks and iPads from Apple, added the sources.</p>Back in February, DigiTimes was the first to report that Pegatron would join existing Apple partner Foxconn for production of iPhone 4. The following month, The Wall Street Journal's sources added some more clarity to the situation by noting that Foxconn would manufacture the GSM iPhone 4 based on the same cellular technology as previous models, while Pegatron would be responsible for the new CDMA version.

As for when a Verizon iPhone might make its public appearance, some sources have indicated that it could be as soon as November, although many other observers are expecting a 2011 introduction.

Article Link: Pegatron to Deliver CDMA iPhone 4s to Apple in Q4?

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
I wonder if they have overcome the CDMA battery life issue somehow or if it will have LTE support since VZW states LTE end of this year/beginning of next for quite a few markets.

jaypeez

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2010
hilliard ohio
please stop

ok these rumors are not gonig to end are they ..............as a apple fan i dont want a cdma phone with Verizon to happen because i want all the droidboys to stay where they are but if global take over is what jobs wants well thats what he will get when verizon is had :apple:

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Wouldn't it be great for Apple to introduce this in January 2011? Then we will see MacRumors forums filled with pissed off people who just got an iPhone 4 stuck with AT&T as a Christmas present.

Of course they could be lucky enough to be in the return window.

Hickman

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Oh no, what do I do? :rolleyes:

Do I enjoy my iPhone 4 for six months and then port back to VZW or do I return my iPhone 4 keep my VZW phone and hold out for 6 months only to find out the rumors are not true, curse myself and then wait another 6 months for the iPhone 5. It's a vicious cycle.

ericksgotmac

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
Awe but then the whole "unlock iPhone" business would begin to decrease :/ think of all the people who scam others! What will they do then? How will they feed their families?

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
People CDMA is dead in the southern hemisphere and has hit a brick wall in terms of technological progress. It would be silly for a company to release a phone for something that they know will be dead soon.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
People CDMA is dead in the southern hemisphere and has hit a brick wall in terms of technological progress. It would be silly for a company to release a phone for something that they know will be dead soon.

No one cares about the southern hemisphere. This is all about China and the US.

GL

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
No one cares about the southern hemisphere. This is all about China and the US.

GL

Ok then, tell me how many companies are actively maintaining CDMA/Upgrading systems in China/USA/NH.

From the looks of it only China has China Telecom, and they're only buying CDMA networks off other companies.

And according to Google Stats, the biggest 15 mobile phone companies (ranked by total subscribers) use GSM/GSM Derivative/Evolution as their primary radio type. SO please, tell my why CDMA is worth investing into currently. Its dead in an entire hemisphere (and if you call Australia unimportant you're thicker than concrete) and some of the biggest Cell Phone providers couldn't care for it.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I'm getting really tired of this rumor, too. If it's going to be posted, give some proof. I don't want to see any more "CDMA Verizon iPhone coming [enter date here]!"

However, my sister really wanted an iPhone on Verizon as she hates AT&T. She got tired of waiting & got a Droid.

spank2223

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
this is the last rumor i wanted to hear a week before I get the new one. Especially when my wife is coming from vzw and also getting the iphone.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Wouldn't it be great for Apple to introduce this in January 2011? Then we will see MacRumors forums filled with pissed off people who just got an iPhone 4 stuck with AT&T as a Christmas present.

Of course they could be lucky enough to be in the return window.
I have no interest in a Verizon iPhone but I'm now hoping Apple produces and sells a CDMA phone. The more people that leave AT&T, the better my service will be. Win-win. :cool:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002

The US market is probably one of the most if not the most important market for Apple to capitalize on.

Verizon has over 90 million customers, many who are very loyal to their cell subscriber who will never leave for ATT. You can't really understand that being in New Zealand.

All the major cell carriers in the States have an Android phone and its popularity it growing increasingly. Unless Apple wants to sit back and let them dominate on all carriers then Apple needs to get their iPhone on Verizon.

It's not about CDMA, it's about positioning the iPhone to be available for a majority of Americans, period. This isn't even taking into consideration the CDMA networks in Japan and China.

bobab8ey

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
My gut tells me that there will be no Verizon iPhone in the near future. That being said, if we're all wrong and there will be one then I'm convinced we'll hear about it shortly before 6/24...specifically an "accidental" leak from somebody @ Verizon...not these leaks from manufacturing facilities halfway around the world. No way V would want all these potential customers locked up in 2 year contracts with AT+T if we're only talking a matter of a few months, especially if AT+T is letting existing customers have early upgrades. fwiw, I'm a V customer now, but will be jumping ship and already pre-ordered an iPhone4. I'm tired of waiting for V and Apple to make something happen.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Ok then, tell me how many companies are actively maintaining CDMA/Upgrading systems in China/USA/NH.

From the looks of it only China has China Telecom, and they're only buying CDMA networks off other companies.

And according to Google Stats, the biggest 15 mobile phone companies use GSM as their primary radio type.

China Unicom runs both a GSM and CDMA network and China Telecom expects 100 million users on its CDMA network in the next 2 years.

That's a lot of potential sales. Well worth the engineering effort to change out the radios and retest/recertify. The more interesting challenge would be what restrictions the Chinese government would want to put on the software.

GL

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL

This is just a silly argument. CDMA will be around for years. Even it weren't, a CDMA phone release this year would be replaced by a new model next year. In that time, Apple could literally sell millions and millions of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.