Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donbenjy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
you can only use facetime over wifi, so certainly not data allowance! ;)

It will cost you voice minutes if you call them first, but the actual facetime videochat should be free.

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
im thinking it uses your minutes but since you are on wifi it wont use your data.

plus you will most likely be making a mobile to mobile call so the minutes may be free if your plan has that feature.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
im thinking it uses your minutes but since you are on wifi it wont use your data.

plus you will most likely be making a mobile to mobile call so the minutes may be free if your plan has that feature.

It's wifi only. No minutes and no data charge. Pretty simple.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Since it's iPhone to iPhone only now, that means any minutes it might use would just count on your unlimited mobile-to-mobile minutes.

mackworth

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
Yeah, its not exactly clear. Some of the stuff I have read about the technology behind it mention AAC, which would imply that there was some audio being carried.

I am inclined to believe that you don't need to use your minutes or data.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You can do it one of two ways.

1, place a call then tap FaceTime and it dumps the call switching to wifi for voice and video. This allows you to get the person into wifi range etc.

2, tap the contact and tap FaceTime call. This connects to them like a call but only via wifi.

It'll use minutes depending on how you choose to call in the first place. But once your in a FaceTime call no charges are being made as it's over wifi.

donbenjy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
Apparently you can initiate facetime without being in a voice call, but I haven't seen any proof. Allegedly in the facetime video someone does it. And also wording on the facetime feature page suggests that you can go directly into one from contacts.

If there is no handshake via voice communication though, I'd be interested to know how the phones connect with each other, seeing as we don't have any usernames or anything. There must be a directory somewhere!

Have Apple published the open standard yet?

mackworth

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
the video is done over wifi.

im pretty sure during the keynote steve jobs had to call johnny first, then press the facetime video.

On the facetime site, it says you can initiate facetime from the contact screen or from a call that is already present.

So I am wondering if they are doing something behind the scene's with your contacts's phone number/apple's server to work its magic, or if there is more too it.

I can't find any thing that says a 3G/2G signal is required, just that its wifi only.

donbenjy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
Yeah, I'm not sure how it can connect directly through wifi, unless something like when you connect to a wifi network it broadcasts your network address to a facetime directory server with a reference to your mobile number?

gdlcjr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
Logically, Facetime is used only thru Iphone to Iphone. Most of the time you may be calling somebody within your network.

a. within network (phone call)- free call
b. Facetime (video call) thru wifi only - no data charges.

In short it will not cause any minutes or data. Except if you are calling outside the network, then it will be used on your minutes

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Facetime works inside of a phone call. So, you're supposed to be able to call someone, and hit the Facetime icon and go into a video chat. I guess it depends whether it kills the voice call or keeps it active in the background. I would assume people may want to switch back to a call, so it's probably active using minutes.

donbenjy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
I disagree - I see the majority of facetime usage to be long distance. I'm not gonna facetime with my friend who lives 5 minutes from my house, but I might with my fiancée if I'm away somewhere. That place could just as easily be abroad than intra network. Plus you're forgetting that outside of the US there are multiple networks carrying the iphone!

iPhonedHome

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Dallas
Yes ... another FaceTime post. Curious about a few things.

Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on the following:

1) I wonder if we will be limited to using FaceTime by having to use the phone app. It would be nice to use/access the FaceTime functionality outside of the phone app.

2) The thing that really puzzles me is how are we going to know if the person we're talking to is on wi-fi. Just by asking them whilst on the call? I hope it's more than that. What would be nice is if there were some way we could "know" if a contact was wifi available by some sort of symbol next to their contact name.

Discuss

mackworth

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
Facetime works inside of a phone call. So, you're supposed to be able to call someone, and hit the Facetime icon and go into a video chat. I guess it depends whether it kills the voice call or keeps it active in the background. I would assume people may want to switch back to a call, so it's probably active using minutes.

From Apple's site:

FaceTime works right out of the box — no need to set up a special account or screen name. And using FaceTime is as easy as it gets. Let’s say you want to start a video call with your best friend. Just find her entry in your Contacts and tap the FaceTime button. Or maybe you’re already on a voice call with her and you want to switch to video. Just tap the FaceTime button on the Phone screen. Either way, an invitation pops up on her iPhone 4 screen asking if she wants to join you.

It can be started not in a call.

donbenjy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
probably by a greyed out facetime button?;)

I assume that when you are available for facetime, your iphone registers itself with some apple server?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Once your in a wifi network your phone registers it with apple. So if someone goes into there contacts and finds someone with an iphone4 it'll either grey out FaceTime or it'll be available depending on your status.

Simple

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Odd.

When on WiFi and sending a text or MMS message, are you not docked messages against your account?

I would think the VOICE part of the call is still routed through cellular towers and the video is what is put through WiFi somehow?

Yet to see exactly how it is utilized....

waznuf

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
we can test this by putting the phone into airplane mode then turning on just wifi and see if a FaceTime call goes through.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Odd.

When on WiFi and sending a text or MMS message, are you not docked messages against your account?

I would think the VOICE part of the call is still routed through cellular towers and the video is what is put through WiFi somehow?

Yet to see exactly how it is utilized....

Nothing is routed through cell towers. (Once the switch is made, if you switch from a voice call to FaceTime) It is done over the internet.

Messaging is done through cell towers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.