Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:20 PM   #1
JarinS1
macrumors member

Self-installing memory in NEW iBook

How hard is it to install memory in an iBook? I have no experience installing memory in a computer. Thanks for your help.

JS
JarinS1 is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:25 PM   #2
jsw
Moderator emeritus

It's easy to install if you have any technical confidence in mechanical tasks - basically, you need to know how to ground yourself, how to use a couple of screwdrivers, and how not to use excessive force in seating the RAM. You can also get it done for you at pretty reasonable prices in just about any store which stocks Apple computers, including Apple Stores.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 01:42 PM   #3
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
There are instructions that come with your iBook on how to install the memory, just follow them and you'll be fine. Make sure to ground yourself, and not to force things!
Old Oct 20, 2004, 02:51 PM   #4
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Hmmmm.... in the previous iBook G4's the memory was underneath the airport card. Now that all iBook G4's come with Airport standard I'm assuming you have to remove the airport card to get new memory in? Not that you didn't have to before if you got it with airport installed and no extra memory... just seems weird... the powerbooks come with airport but you change the memory from underneath...
Old Oct 20, 2004, 03:43 PM   #5
JarinS1
macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the help.
JarinS1 is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2004, 08:03 PM   #6
Logik
Banned

adding ram to my pb rev c was easy as pie. little cramped so you had to be careful but it wasn't hard either. airport card is in the same place as the battery on the pb.

i recommend Corsair ram, i bought mine from www.newegg.com and it is great and it's been in for about 2 months. cost... $80 i think for 512mb i think crucial was $10-20 more .. which surprised me
Logik is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers