Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 20, 2004, 09:09 PM   #1
brobson
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas
IMac G5 memory install help!?

I tried to install some memory just now and can't seem to.
It says to insert and ress getly to lock into place. I see that it only fits one way and that the notch in the middle has t align. So I know it's the only way it can go in but the little rubber latches won't hook onto the knoches.
I don't want to force it.
Help??
Brenda
brobson is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2004, 09:19 PM   #2
brobson
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas
Nevermind

Nevermind, I don't think this is the right size for my machine.
Luckily the seller offered to refund if it didn't work.
Brenda




Quote:
Originally Posted by brobson
I tried to install some memory just now and can't seem to.
It says to insert and ress getly to lock into place. I see that it only fits one way and that the notch in the middle has t align. So I know it's the only way it can go in but the little rubber latches won't hook onto the knoches.
I don't want to force it.
Help??
Brenda
brobson is offline   0
Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:00 AM   #3
Elan0204
macrumors 65816
 
Elan0204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Brenda,

Is there a label on the RAM with any information about it? If so, can you post it? If not, maybe you can post a picture of it and we can let you know if it looks like DDR RAM. Also, post anything the seller told you about the memory.

Before you take the time (and spend the money) to send it back to the seller, we might be able to confirm if it should work or not.

By the way, iMac G5 RAM installation is pretty easy, but definitely requires more than a "gentle" push to lock the memory into place. Obviouslly, you want to be careful about pushing too hard, but the RAM doesn't just slide into place.
__________________
Utada's U.S. debut album, Exodus, is now available on the iTunes Music Store. Make sure to check it out.

To learn more about Utada, check out my iMix.
Elan0204 is offline   0
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:11 PM   #4
stillwater
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rowley, MA
Press firmly

Hi, Brenda, its Darrel.

I'm sure that the memory will fit your iMac. It really does require firm pressure to insert it in the slot. There's a PDF you can download from Apple's support site that has complete illustrated instructions for installing the memory in your iMac.

Don't give up now, you're almost there.
stillwater is offline   0
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:47 PM   #5
spencecb
macrumors 6502a
 
spencecb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I had to press fairly hard when I was installing my RAM into my iMac G5...they need to reword their instructions
__________________
24" iMac 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 2TB HDD, iPad Retina 16 GB wifi (black), iPhone 5 (white), Nest Learning Thermostat 2nd Generation, Wii (3302 9078 4466 0996)
spencecb is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2004, 09:40 AM   #6
brobson
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas
YES!!!!!!

It's a 128 match!
Thank you Darrel and Elan!!

The memory fit with a healthy push. I agree with Spencerb that they need to clarify that because there was no way I was going to ruin Darrel's memory or my Imac. (I was rather frazzled because I stripped one of my screws on the side trying to open it the first time-it was late and the Red Sox game was on )
Do any of you think that will be a problem? Should I go in and have it fixed???
Brenda

Overall quite happy however :
brobson is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2004, 01:17 PM   #7
Elan0204
macrumors 65816
 
Elan0204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Good to hear you get your RAM working Brenda (and with a 128 bit memory bus)! Installation really does require more than just a gentle push, and I agree that Apple needs to make that clearer. I actually had a pretty difficult time getting one of my RAM chips in, and it took a surprising amount of force to get it working.

Brenda, which screw exactly did you strip (I'm guessing you mean one of 3 on the bottom of your iMac that you use to open the computer)? Is it completely stripped (so you can't turn it at all), or did you just take off a little of the metal? It sounds like you can still screw your iMac closed, so the screw must still be somewhat functional. If that is the case, you shouldn't have much to worry about.
__________________
Utada's U.S. debut album, Exodus, is now available on the iTunes Music Store. Make sure to check it out.

To learn more about Utada, check out my iMix.
Elan0204 is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2004, 01:27 PM   #8
brobson
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas
Hi Elan
The screw won't turn. It's at the corner opposite the memory area.
It seems ok, support wise.
Brenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan0204
Good to hear you get your RAM working Brenda (and with a 128 bit memory bus)! Installation really does require more than just a gentle push, and I agree that Apple needs to make that clearer. I actually had a pretty difficult time getting one of my RAM chips in, and it took a surprising amount of force to get it working.

Brenda, which screw exactly did you strip (I'm guessing you mean one of 3 on the bottom of your iMac that you use to open the computer)? Is it completely stripped (so you can't turn it at all), or did you just take off a little of the metal? It sounds like you can still screw your iMac closed, so the screw must still be somewhat functional. If that is the case, you shouldn't have much to worry about.
brobson is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2004, 06:52 PM   #9
stillwater
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rowley, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobson
Hi Elan
The screw won't turn. It's at the corner opposite the memory area.
It seems ok, support wise.
Brenda
First, I'm happy to hear the memory matches.

Second, bummer about the screw. Is it stuck in the unscrewed position? When I backed the screws out on mine, they did reach a stop in the case. It looked to me like the screws at the corners are part of a mechanism that moves a latch that captures a pin in the side of the case. Maybe the screw is just hard against the stop and it will take a little extra torque to get it turning. Or maybe the mechanism is jammed.

If you're afraid of breaking something, are you close enough to an Apple store to let them try it?
stillwater is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2004, 06:21 PM   #10
brobson
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas
hmmm

I have a hunch since I didn't buy it there they aren't going to want to touch it.
I wish I had.
Thanks
Brenda


Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater
First, I'm happy to hear the memory matches.

Second, bummer about the screw. Is it stuck in the unscrewed position? When I backed the screws out on mine, they did reach a stop in the case. It looked to me like the screws at the corners are part of a mechanism that moves a latch that captures a pin in the side of the case. Maybe the screw is just hard against the stop and it will take a little extra torque to get it turning. Or maybe the mechanism is jammed.

If you're afraid of breaking something, are you close enough to an Apple store to let them try it?
brobson is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't install os x on an emac g4 with 1GB memory :o( RetroGamerVX PowerPC Macs 12 Feb 3, 2013 12:56 PM
Install new 32GB memory in new imac 27 tommy0614 iMac 4 Jan 7, 2013 02:03 PM
MacBook Pro Memory, How much can I really install? AshtonBrn MacBook Pro 5 Aug 20, 2012 10:40 PM
Clearing Previous App Install Memory/Settings Kayan Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Jul 5, 2012 02:53 PM
Is it possible to install an internal Memory card reader? SteelBlueTJ Mac Pro 1 Jun 15, 2012 02:19 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC