Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Just gone into Steam to have a go on TF2 and its telling me I need to purchase it, even though I already had it, downloaded it last week and played it for a couple of mins to check it worked.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-18 at 19.59.13.JPG
    Screen shot 2010-06-18 at 19.59.13.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 451

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
And to make it worse, I just restarted Steam to see if it was just a random error and now it no longer even shows in my games lists! :mad:

Great, thats 1/4 of my download cap for the month wasted.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Just gone into Steam to have a go on TF2 and its telling me I need to purchase it, even though I already had it, downloaded it last week and played it for a couple of mins to check it worked.

Any ideas?

Last sunday Team Fortress was free to play THAT WEEKEND. If you didn't pay the 10 bucks for it then (half price weekend), you will have to pay 20 bucks for it now.

If you did pay for it, I suggest e-mailing Valve/Steam.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Last sunday Team Fortress was free to play THAT WEEKEND. If you didn't pay the 10 bucks for it then (half price weekend), you will have to pay 20 bucks for it now.

Nah I own it, have done for years as had it on retail CD, but its not showing anymore, but HL2 which I also had is showing. I''ve emailed them as I aint downloading it again as uses to much cap.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Nah I own it, have done for years as had it on retail CD, but its not showing anymore, but HL2 which I also had is showing. I''ve emailed them as I aint downloading it again as uses to much cap.

How does that work? I, for example, have Crysis on a retail disk that I bought years ago. I now note that Steam has Crysis on it, so how would I go about telling Steam I have Crysis?

And if I can do this, and ever lose the DVD (or something) can I download and play it via Steam without the disk?

Actually, if I do this, can I then play the game without the DVD in the drive?

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand

How does that work? I, for example, have Crysis on a retail disk that I bought years ago. I now note that Steam has Crysis on it, so how would I go about telling Steam I have Crysis?

And if I can do this, and ever lose the DVD (or something) can I download and play it via Steam without the disk?

Actually, if I do this, can I then play the game without the DVD in the drive?

Yep, if the game was registered against your Steam account then they class that as you owning it, so if it becomes available on Steam you can download it again for free, without the DVD. Same principle now with if you had the PC version and its released for Mac.

I brought HL2 for the PC on release day years go, when Steam first came out. Played through it then and after that, must have lost the CD and didn't use Steam again until a few months ago when I brought Fallout3 from it. It let me then download HL2 for free as it had it assigned to my Steam account from when I first played it. Same thing when it came out on Mac.

I've emailed Steam Support anyway to see what they say.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Only a few games can be transferred from disc to Steam. Crysis is not one of them, Valve games are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.