Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alsotaken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Hi all,

I have a PM G5 Dual 2Ghz. It has a stock 9600 and I want to change it with a Asus x800 xt Premium Edition.

What I did was:

1: Read the mac elite wiki
2: downloaded Atiflash 3.60
3: downloaded reduced size rom of 64Kb for the X800 from the mac elite wiki
4: Found out what the original device ID was for the videocard (4a50)
5: Changed lines 3 and 8 in the rom to match the device id.
6: Backuped the original rom using atiflash -s 0 backup.rom.
6: Flashed the new rom using atiflash -p 0 newrom.rom
7: Flash is succesfull....

but... the device ID has not changed. And that is where my problem is I do not know how to continue. Asked the same question on the strangedog forum, but it seems very slow.

Any ideas?

ludedude

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
anyone please? I have no idea how to continue with this. Is there anyone with the same card that is willing to mail me the rom?

edit: why is my name ludedude al of a sudden?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I think you'll find that not a lot of people have attempted to flash a non Mac Video card here. There may be a few, but it might take a bit for them to find this post.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
OP, did you try to flash with ROM's default DID (4A48) and/or flash the card in Mac? Card was tested in Win before flash?

alsotaken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
OP, did you try to flash with ROM's default DID (4A48) and/or flash the card in Mac? Card was tested in Win before flash?

1: I did flash with the 4a48, the card has no display in the mac, but it boots
2: Flashed the card in a normal PC
3: Card works fine in windows

As for flashing the card in the mac, I have no PCI card that fits the PCI-X slots.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Then try to flash it via VNC with screen sharing.
And stupid question ;): have you tested both outputs of the card? X800 after flash is VGA only.

alsotaken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Then try to flash it via VNC with screen sharing.
And stupid question ;): have you tested both outputs of the card? X800 after flash is VGA only.

I ill try VNC, what is the difference between flasing in a PC and PM? I know only vga works :)

thanks for you help!

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
what is the difference between flasing in a PC and PM?

Main difference is in flasher. I can't tell which method is better, but it's good to try all available tricks. I've flashed R9100, 9200, 9700 and 9800 in Mac without troubles. Unfortunately never tried with X800. I've looked at red. ROM and haven't found any signs of DID except lines 3 & 8. AFAIR X800 has no hardwired DID so changing it in ROM should work (theoretically).
I've met one report about Sapphire X800 PE (4A50) which was unable to work with no other than default Mac ROM DID.
Maybe Rominator will see this thread and will "throw some light" on it?

NeverBX

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2010
I picked up a X800XT and it's rom version is 104. Supposedly there is an update to 109 and I think one more after that. I can't download it anywhere. All the sites that have it point to a dead AMD link.

Anyone know where it's still being hosted?

This is an authentic mac card as well, the rom update needs to be done in safe mode.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
did you have to change device numbers?

i dont remember doing that on any flash..

i just saw if your card works fine in windows, you havent flashed it. PPC cards dont work in windows after they have been flashed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.