Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:25 PM   #1
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

Kodak LS443 Camera Breaks...Drama unfolds

I really need to vent. So here goes.
This is a KODAK LS 443 Easyshare Digital Camera, 4.0 Megapixel. This camera had a "fatal error" last year, and it required Kodak sending us (my family) a replacement. That was fine, we thought. It even came with a new case. Now, fast forward a year. Family has moved onto an Olympus C-50Z (very nice camera) and I have taken over this camera.

But now, today, it dies again! I am a photographer for my school's yearbook (150 people in 9-12, entire school is very small! ~1000 total) and seeing as there are only two photographers including me, this is really bad. It is even worse, because Kodak's website is down and has been down for the past few hours. Whenever I take a picture, it comes out completely black. This is not being over/under exposed, because it is COMPLETELY black. I confirmed this in Preview. Despite raining today, I made sure to keep the camera very dry. It has most likely sustained more abuse when used by the family...

I am really not happy. If anyone has any ideas as to how to fix the problem, or deal with Kodak, then I would be somewhat happier. If you could send be a dual 2.5 Ghz Power Mac G5 I would call you the messiah.

Rant.End=True
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0
Old Oct 21, 2004, 01:57 AM   #2
russed
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to russed
that is hard luck. i hate it when things like that happen. have you tried ringing them??? surely there must be some number in the manual for like the US place. can you borrow a decent camera off anyone in the mean time?
Old Oct 21, 2004, 01:58 AM   #3
russed
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to russed
oh or just reading it again could you borrow the olympus off your parents?
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:20 AM   #4
sarae
macrumors 6502

If it was raining, the humidity might have gotten to your camera. I might suggest leaving it in a dry place for a day or so (possibly with the battery out, def check for any corrosion on it) and then try it again.

I know how annoying this can be, my canon s45 decided to randomly stop working this summer. Some people suggested it might have been a humidity issue, but sadly it wasn't for me. Grrr!
sarae is offline   0
Old Oct 21, 2004, 05:16 AM   #5
wHo_tHe
macrumors regular

I feel your pain. Bad stuff sucks. If it makes you feel better, dunk the worthless hunk in yogurt.

But, if you really want to do something about it ...

... Repeat whatever got the camera repaired/replaced last time. Insist it be replaced since it is exactly the same problem the first camera experienced. Don't be shy; the manufacturer very well may have a "secret" warranty on the product. Companies will sometimes secretly extend warranties on certain models or parts to prevent mass customer complaints (or the ultimate complaint, the class-action lawsuit).

And...

... Never let bad equipment drag you down to its level. If you know you've got tho shoot something you can't afford to miss, take a disposable camera as backup, *anything*! Lousy digital cameras are about $20 now and work well too. Better than nothing!
wHo_tHe is offline   0
Old Oct 21, 2004, 08:54 AM   #6
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHo_tHe
I feel your pain. Bad stuff sucks. If it makes you feel better, dunk the worthless hunk in yogurt.

But, if you really want to do something about it ...

... Repeat whatever got the camera repaired/replaced last time. Insist it be replaced since it is exactly the same problem the first camera experienced. Don't be shy; the manufacturer very well may have a "secret" warranty on the product. Companies will sometimes secretly extend warranties on certain models or parts to prevent mass customer complaints (or the ultimate complaint, the class-action lawsuit).

And...

... Never let bad equipment drag you down to its level. If you know you've got tho shoot something you can't afford to miss, take a disposable camera as backup, *anything*! Lousy digital cameras are about $20 now and work well too. Better than nothing!
Interesting idea. But some guy in India told me that I was good to go. Only thing is, I don't have a case ID number. I think I'll be getting it in the email.

One of my friends at school is letting me borrow his camera. It even uses SD cards so I can use my 256 instead of his 64.

It isn't the humidity, because after sitting in a ~dry~ classroom for an hour and five minutes, it should have dried. At least, it should have overnight. I tested it this morning, no luck. At least I now have some very nice sample images for their techs to look at...The camera shows no signs of being dropped or taken a bath which means I am theoretically cleared. The camera is in pretty much perfect physical shape. Except for not working.

BTW their site is still down, and I got their number from Google's cache. Thank you G-d for Google...anyway, after navigating a half dozen menus I got to their support line.
You can scroll down now.

Last edited by Mechcozmo; Oct 21, 2004 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Mechcozmo is offline   0
Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:15 PM   #7
Raid
macrumors 68020

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcozmo
...Whenever I take a picture, it comes out completely black. This is not being over/under exposed, because it is COMPLETELY black. I confirmed this in Preview.
If anyone has any ideas as to how to fix the problem, or deal with Kodak, then I would be somewhat happier.
Um did you remove the lense cap?

Sorry man I had to say it. If it isn't the lense cap, then I'd do what wHo_tHe suggested.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 07:37 PM   #8
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

No, the thing has no lens cap.
Linkety

Well, I don't have the <censored> number yet...I tried to place a call today but I got home, and when I tried to call I got "I am sorry, but you have called outside of our normal business hours." Damn them. I need this stupid number. GAH!

And their website? It is still down! STILL! After how many hours??? There is not even a "I'm sorry but our webpage is currently ********* up" message".
Tomorrow I get up early (again!) and call to say "GIVE ME THAT TRACKING NUMBER!!! I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE...er....WORK!"
Sigh. On the good side nothing important happened today. Still PO'ed.
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0
Old Oct 21, 2004, 07:43 PM   #9
pseudobrit
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to pseudobrit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcozmo
And their website? It is still down! STILL! After how many hours??? There is not even a "I'm sorry but our webpage is currently ********* up" message".
worked for me
Old Oct 21, 2004, 07:46 PM   #10
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudobrit
worked for me
What browser did you use?
Safari timed out.
IE could not load it.
My iMac using both could not do it.

What did you do??? Tell me!?!?!?!

Yay! Their email finally came through! Thank goodness! Now, after I ship it, I only have to worry about a few things:

1) Them classifiying it as a "major" repair, which would cost me money. As if I would let them do that...
2) Them deciding that the rain did it in. But who would know...and it stopped working whilst underneath cover, not in the rain. But you never know.
3) It being lost. But then I might get a new camera...hmmm...

Oddly enough, the information that their automated system gave me did not match this email's info. I'm gonna stick with the email.

Well it seems like it is finally on its way. Yay!
You can scroll down now.

Last edited by Mechcozmo; Oct 21, 2004 at 10:04 PM. Reason: email made it, finally!
Mechcozmo is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community