Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups

Old Jun 18, 2010, 07:49 PM   #1
RidleyGriff
macrumors regular

Santa Monica, CA (Third Street Promenade)

This Apple Store has been my good luck charm since the original iPhone launch, and on through both the 3GS and iPad launches. And it's where I'll be picking up my reserved iPhone 4 from this Thursday morning.

Who else will be there?
RidleyGriff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 07:58 PM   #2
shannieb77
macrumors newbie

Maybe I will show up at midnight with a lawn chair, blanket and a pillow.
shannieb77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 08:03 PM   #3
znewton
macrumors newbie

This is where I plan on picking up mine on Thursday..I'm just trying to gauge what time I should show up in order to get one. I know there's no way to know but I don't want to show up at 3AM and have there be no line and just waste my time..what do you guys think?
znewton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 08:09 PM   #4
RidleyGriff
macrumors regular

For the original iPhone launch, people were lining up the night before (I actually lucked out that night at this location, right before closing).

Lines for the iPad were pretty moderate -- maybe 50-60 people each in both the pre-order and walk-up lines at store opening. But this seems like it's going to be a much bigger deal.

Do we know if the iPhones will be activated on-site yet? I'd like to get there and still get back to work by 9:30.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 08:13 PM   #5
mdwsta4
macrumors 6502a

i live a few blocks away and might ride by bike by, if nothing more than to laugh at the people sitting outside. i'll be comfortable in my own bed while my iphone 4 will get delivered on thursday.
mdwsta4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 08:28 PM   #6
RidleyGriff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwsta4 View Post
i live a few blocks away and might ride by bike by, if nothing more than to laugh at the people sitting outside. i'll be comfortable in my own bed while my iphone 4 will get delivered on thursday.
That's pretty sweet; while you're waiting at home for your delivery other people will be having fun in line and using their new phones.

Seriously don't get the need to hate. Why seek out and post in a meetup thread?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:01 PM   #7
mdwsta4
macrumors 6502a

wasn't hating, was joking. geez. stop being so sensitive.
last year the 3GS was delivered at 9am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidleyGriff View Post
That's pretty sweet; while you're waiting at home for your delivery other people will be having fun in line and using their new phones.

Seriously don't get the need to hate. Why seek out and post in a meetup thread?
mdwsta4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 02:00 PM   #8
altautah
macrumors newbie

Already Here!

There are five of us already in line outside the Apple store on the 3rd St Promenade. Apple is loving it! But security is saying we literally have to stand for the entire time!
altautah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 02:09 PM   #9
thirteen1031
macrumors 6502

The big question for me is will there be white phones? If yes, then I'll be there early and wait in line because if I don't I'll probably have no chance at getting a white phone. If no, then waiting in line for the doors to open will just be for fun as I've pre-ordered the two blacks.

So, maybe I will, maybe I won't
thirteen1031 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 03:09 PM   #10
RidleyGriff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by altautah View Post
There are five of us already in line outside the Apple store on the 3rd St Promenade. Apple is loving it! But security is saying we literally have to stand for the entire time!
Wow - impressive! Are you the folks in the picture Engadget just posted?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 03:54 PM   #11
rrwrrw
macrumors newbie

Wow!

Those chicks are pretty cute!
rrwrrw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 05:54 PM   #12
Sparyn
macrumors newbie

Come Visit Us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidleyGriff View Post
Wow - impressive! Are you the folks in the picture Engadget just posted?
Hey RG - Yep, that's us just getting set up. It's going to be a long (fun) five days.
Sparyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:43 AM   #13
rrwrrw
macrumors newbie

I stopped by there tonight. Wow! I guess Apple expected to get a permit for people to campout starting Wednesday night. But, they love having them around so Apple is going to get the permit as soon as the city hall doors open on Monday morning. BTW: the girl in the black shirt tonight was smoking hot. I didn't expect that a girl like that would be a geek! I might have to go campout there soon and see if I can get some sleeping bag play!
rrwrrw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:10 AM   #14
RealSkyDiver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrwrrw View Post
I didn't expect that a girl like that would be a geek! I might have to go campout there soon and see if I can get some sleeping bag play!
you do know they read this right? perv...

Last edited by RealSkyDiver; Jun 20, 2010 at 04:15 AM.
RealSkyDiver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:53 AM   #15
znewton
macrumors newbie

Hey so this is to the girls in line (in hopes you're reading this)--How many other people are in line with you? Also--have you heard anything from the guys @ the Apple store regarding what they expect for lines etc? I live in Venice and definitely want to get one and am thinking of coming around 3-4AM on the 24th. I'm hoping you will keep this thread updated with regards to the line as we get closer!
znewton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:10 AM   #16
GirlsInLine
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by znewton View Post
Hey so this is to the girls in line (in hopes you're reading this)--How many other people are in line with you? Also--have you heard anything from the guys @ the Apple store regarding what they expect for lines etc? I live in Venice and definitely want to get one and am thinking of coming around 3-4AM on the 24th. I'm hoping you will keep this thread updated with regards to the line as we get closer!
Just 5 of us for now. Apple is trying to get a permit from Monday onward so I don't think anyone else is planning to come till then, if not till Wednesday. We have started the non-preorder line by the way.

We'll update this when we hear more from Apple and if anyone else joins. We're also tweeting @mypoynt. But come over and say hi sometime if you're on the area.
GirlsInLine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:14 PM   #17
Man on the moon
macrumors member

Wow, I work in Santa Monica and will go early Thursday. Save me a spot!!! I'll give you $50. Just kidding

if I get it good if not then I'll try everyday until I do.
Man on the moon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:37 PM   #18
jlipscomb
macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if there's going to be a separate line for people with reservations? I was able to get a reservation on the preorder day, but I'm wondering what time I should come in, or if I need to get there super early.
jlipscomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:26 PM   #19
RealSkyDiver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipscomb View Post
Does anyone know if there's going to be a separate line for people with reservations? I was able to get a reservation on the preorder day, but I'm wondering what time I should come in, or if I need to get there super early.
There will be 2 lines but both lines are going to be long so you should still be there a few hours early.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:52 PM   #20
jlipscomb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSkyDiver View Post
There will be 2 lines but both lines are going to be long so you should still be there a few hours early.
Well dang. Do you expect the line for reservations to be really long as well? I could come later in the day since the reservation supposedly holds until the end of business on Thursday. The store opens at 7am Thursday, correct?
jlipscomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:58 PM   #21
GirlsInLine
macrumors newbie

Day 2

So far we're still the only ones in line. Ray Liotta came by though (http://facebook.com/poynt)

Apple has been great to us, checking in and even letting us recharge when the Apple products need juice.

The performers are great, people are fun to talk to, it's been fun.

No new iPhone specific news, sorry. But yes, two separate lines for reserved and nonreserved.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:58 PM   #22
RealSkyDiver
macrumors 6502

Well what do you prefer more? Waiting during the cool morning breeze or the scorching day heat?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:33 AM   #23
GirlsInLine
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSkyDiver View Post
Well what do you prefer more? Waiting during the cool morning breeze or the scorching day heat?
luckily it's been pretty moderate the past two days. here's hoping it stays that way.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 01:04 PM   #24
heyroth
macrumors newbie

What are you guys doing to keep sane in line? Plus I saw the foraging video on poynt's facebook. Famima!!!
heyroth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 01:52 PM   #25
PhillyCheese
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 in Santa Monica!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyroth View Post
What are you guys doing to keep sane in line? Plus I saw the foraging video on poynt's facebook. Famima!!!
Ah...I also saw their video, and I believe you have over-exclamed Famima!!
PhillyCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups