Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups

Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:24 PM   #1
levitynyc
macrumors 6502a

Menlo Park Mall - New Jersey

Apple Store.

Reserved mine. I'll be there at 530AM anyway,
levitynyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:43 PM   #2
robtraut
macrumors newbie

I reserved mine too, but I'll probably be there early with you.
robtraut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:44 PM   #3
jvdrummer182
macrumors regular

line up

5:30? I reserved mine online and wasnt going to stop by until after work on thursday. i was thinking about coming by around 7 but i dont want to wast my time if im going to have to wait for an hour til i get into the store.
jvdrummer182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:30 PM   #4
fongyuen
macrumors 6502

what do you think the chances are of getting one if i didn't preorder? should i show up at 3am? :P do they let you into the mall or you stand outside somewhere?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:32 AM   #5
mattwolrad
macrumors newbie

Mall doors open

Two years ago when I bought my 3G the main door 2nd level by Macy's I think was open and they had a line set up. I was thinking of trying to get there by 7 but maybe I'll come earlier.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:14 AM   #6
levitynyc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvdrummer182 View Post
5:30? I reserved mine online and wasnt going to stop by until after work on thursday. i was thinking about coming by around 7 but i dont want to wast my time if im going to have to wait for an hour til i get into the store.
If you read the fine print in that email, even if you reserved one, they dont guarantee it.

2 years ago they had lines outside at least 3 of the entrances. It was orderly and well organized.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:38 AM   #7
jvdrummer182
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by levitynyc View Post
If you read the fine print in that email, even if you reserved one, they dont guarantee it.

2 years ago they had lines outside at least 3 of the entrances. It was orderly and well organized.
I spoke to two different people at the menlo store and have called apple customer support and everyone i spoke to told me it doesn't matter what time i go on the 24th to pick up my phone; it will be held for me on Thursday until i pick it up.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:41 AM   #8
moneymaster
macrumors newbie

What time do you think I should get there if I want to buy one and did not preorder it? I was thinking 4 am or so...
moneymaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:06 AM   #9
levitynyc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvdrummer182 View Post
I spoke to two different people at the menlo store and have called apple customer support and everyone i spoke to told me it doesn't matter what time i go on the 24th to pick up my phone; it will be held for me on Thursday until i pick it up.
Thats really good to hear. Since i need to be at work at 9AM, ill still get there early.

I guess they need that fine print to prevent getting sued or whatever.

If you didnt preorder one, i'd get there are early as possible.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:06 AM   #10
jvdrummer182
macrumors regular

I'm looking to get my phone and be out of the store by 8am so I can make it to work on time. Any suggestions on what time i should get in line?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:15 AM   #11
levitynyc
macrumors 6502a

For the 3G i was the 10th person in line at the entrance on the deck by the movie theater. I got there around 6:15. They made us wait outside the mall until about 15 minutes until opening. Like I said, everything was orderly and they brought out snacks and water to everyone on the line once we were inside. (It was weird walking in the empty mall) They activated my phone really quickly and I was out of there within 10 minutes. I remember that day about 20 minutes after I got out that AT&T shut down and Apple servers were shot. Last year that didn't happen mainly because they didnt sell nearly as many 3Gs's at launch and if I remember correctly iPhone OS2 came out and Mobile Me was released on the same day as the 3G.

I really have no idea what to expect this year. It depends on the servers, which im sure are being upgraded now to meet demand. I already told my boss to not be surprised if I don't show up until after 10 or to be an hour early.

It could go really well, or it could go really bad. I love camping out and getting up early for launches.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:56 PM   #12
ayobonus
macrumors regular

Where should we wait?

I'm really excited about getting the iPhone 4, but really worried that I won't get one because I couldn't pre-order I was trying to pre-order the phone, but as we all know, all sites were a mess that day.

But anyway, where do people usually wait in line to get in the mall? There are many entrances, but I was just wondering if anyone knew where doors were open so we could stand in line by the Apple Store. Or if we have to stand in line outside. I was thinking second level parking deck by Champps, what they call the "food court" parking. That's usually where I park to go to the Apple Store.

Can't wait!
ayobonus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:02 PM   #13
Dragula22
macrumors member

So I wasn't able to preorder it but I'd still like to line up early on launch day.

Is it better to line up for the Apple store or the ATT store right across?

Is the mall entrance on the 2nd floor? It seems like some people would get screwed due to multiple entrances if they open them at different times.

In the grand scheme of things, what kind of shipment should we expect relative to other stores. Would Menlo Park mall be considered a major apple retailer?
Dragula22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:11 PM   #14
ayobonus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragula22 View Post
So I wasn't able to preorder it but I'd still like to line up early on launch day.

Is it better to line up for the Apple store or the ATT store right across?

Is the mall entrance on the 2nd floor? It seems like some people would get screwed due to multiple entrances if they open them at different times.

In the grand scheme of things, what kind of shipment should we expect relative to other stores. Would Menlo Park mall be considered a major apple retailer?
I would assume that Menlo Park is a major Apple retailer. There's no other Apple Stores in central Jersey except for Freehold, and Bridgewater, to my knowledge. So Menlo Park is a pretty popular Apple Store and I'm hoping they have a large shipment!

But still wondering which entrance to go to!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:16 PM   #15
levitynyc
macrumors 6502a

Last time i was at the Food Court entrance on the back side on the top of the parking deck.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:16 PM   #16
ayobonus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by levitynyc View Post
Last time i was at the Food Court entrance on the back side on the top of the parking deck.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. That's where I always park when I go to the Apple Store. Guess I'll be going there on launch day!
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:49 AM   #17
robtraut
macrumors newbie

For the 3G release 2 years ago, we lined up in hallway across from the AT&T store. They put a line for AT&T on the left, and the Apple store on the right.

The problem I had was that many people who were there early, were sent away by mall security. So the people waiting longest weren't necessarily at the front of the line. Plus with people coming from different entrances, I would argue that it wasn't well organized at all. Once they let us into the mall it was fine.

Does anyone know if mall security lightened up for the 3GS or iPad launches? Or were they still giving people a hard time about lining up early?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:50 PM   #18
Dragula22
macrumors member

gaaaaaaah, that sounds potentially nerve wracking.

I'd hate to line up early only to find out other people have from another entrance have gotten in first.

I don't even understand how that happens since I assume a line forms at ONE entrance of the mall. Do people just risk standing alone at a different entrance hoping to be let in first?

Do you remember how ATT line compared to the Apple line?
Dragula22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:58 PM   #19
robtraut
macrumors newbie

There's 2 entrances fairly close to the Apple store, the "Food Court Parking" entrance on one side, and the movie theater entrance on the other. The movie theater is a little further away.

The AT&T line was a little shorter, but both lines were out the door. I'm also curious where the extra line for people with reservations will go.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 01:39 PM   #20
Max E Verde
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Max E Verde
I was at the line for the 3G. Security didn't want anyone on the property until 7am. I went home, ate breakfast, came back for 6:30am and most people were in their cars. At about 10 minutes to 7am, everyone started rushing to the door (the only door they let us in was next to the Food Court entrance, right in front of the ramp.)

So, now that they are going to open at 7am, I'd hope they'd be letting us on line at 6am.

PS: I was there for a Personal Training this morning, saw the CocaCola guy bringing in a ton of bottled water.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 02:47 PM   #21
Alicia4065
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Alicia4065 Send a message via Yahoo to Alicia4065
I will be there maybe around 5:30am to pick up my preorder
Alicia4065 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:22 PM   #22
jvdrummer182
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max E Verde View Post
I was at the line for the 3G. Security didn't want anyone on the property until 7am. I went home, ate breakfast, came back for 6:30am and most people were in their cars. At about 10 minutes to 7am, everyone started rushing to the door (the only door they let us in was next to the Food Court entrance, right in front of the ramp.)

So, now that they are going to open at 7am, I'd hope they'd be letting us on line at 6am.

PS: I was there for a Personal Training this morning, saw the CocaCola guy bringing in a ton of bottled water.
Do you work at the apple store in the mall? If so, do you have any more info about the situation we can expect thursday morning?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:28 PM   #23
bscottd
macrumors newbie

Right entrance?

Are you all talking about the entrance right there where the car ramp is to get to the second level? Where you walk in pass a suit store then turn right, past Brookstone then Apple Store is there on your right? That entrance?
bscottd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:46 PM   #24
ayobonus
macrumors regular

Oh no! I didn't know security would kick you off the property =( I was planning on getting there really early, like around 5 AM since I didn't preorder. Hopefully security will just let you sit by the wall of the entrance.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:48 PM   #25
ayobonus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscottd View Post
Are you all talking about the entrance right there where the car ramp is to get to the second level? Where you walk in pass a suit store then turn right, past Brookstone then Apple Store is there on your right? That entrance?
That's the entrance that I would think would be the main one. That entrance is the closest one to the Apple store. The next closest one would be the movie theatre parking.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups