Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups

Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:39 AM   #51
tjespo22
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to tjespo22
heres my history there.
Iphone 2g (original) launch-
Got there about 3-4 am iirc and i was #6 in line. The line was outside then was moved inside along the glass banister. We call sat on the floor until 9am until they started to let us in the store. This launch went pretty well and was smooth.

Now onto the bad story. Iphone 3g launch

I went to the mall the night before at about 11pm. I was #1 in line and also met up with a friend there who i had met the previous year from the 2g launch. We were there maybe for 1 hr until the old fat bald security guard.
We waited across the street at good year since we can tell from there if and when people start to show up. We ended up going up the ramp to the second floor around 7am and we didnt see anyone until we realized they were all hiding in the stairwell in the parking garage. we ended up being real far back in the line when we really were there the night before and were first on line. After that incident i would rather stay away from there on launch days.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/...35123df1_o.jpg

Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:37 AM   #52
Max E Verde
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Max E Verde
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscottd View Post
I just sent Menlo Mall this question.

As you may know there is a HUGE Apple product launch happening this Thursday June 24th. There will be people getting there early to wait in line. I am guessing that the 2nd floor entrance by Brookstone is going to be the place where people are going to be able to line up before the store opens. I plan on getting there before the Mall opens to wait in line. If I am patiently waiting in line I wont be run of the property will I? Can you please confirm this with me? THanks so much.

Here is the response I got from them.

The mall doors will be open at 7am. You will not be allowed to stand outside the doors early in the morning waiting to get in.

Why not? What is the big deal?
I just talked to an Apple Store manager at around 10am this morning, they will be letting people in the mall at 6am
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:48 AM   #53
Max E Verde
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvdrummer182 View Post
Do you work at the apple store in the mall? If so, do you have any more info about the situation we can expect thursday morning?
No I do not work at the Mall, but I do visit frequently as I live less than 5 minutes away (was just there for breakfast ).

But based on the 3G launch, the line for both AT&T and Apple will start on opposite sides of the glass railings, and end right before you can turn right.

Based on past lines i've been in at Apple Stores (iPhone 3G at Menlo, Upper West Side grand opening), they will have employees giving out free water and attempting to answer questions you may have. There may be Starbucks employees handing out coffee and baked goods. I forgot if they did that for the 3G, but Apple has done that for many other events in the past.

Also, I don't think they will let you in any door other than the one by Brookstone, that has been described by others in this thread.

If they do it like they did the iPad, there will be a separate line for Reservations and Walk-Ins. And they do not take every single reservation before doing a single walk-in.

Last edited by Max E Verde; Jun 23, 2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Replaced "other stuff" with "baked goods"
Max E Verde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:06 AM   #54
edog72
macrumors newbie

Quantity and Limits?

Does anyone have any idea how many they might carry? If Best Buy in Woodbridge is going to have 50-100 (according to iClarified) then I can't imagine an Apple store having any less.

I'm just concerned that if I get there at 5 or 6am and I'm 70th in line... I don't want to be worried that I may not get one. Has anyone experienced something like this in the past or know someone who was 100th in line but still got a phone?

Also, are we limited to 1 phone per customer or 2? I've been reading both. I imagine if we were allowed to buy 2, the second customer (in this case my wife) would have to be there... and she will never get up to wait in line with me @5am even if they were handing out gold bullion!!!

Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thx!
edog72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:20 AM   #55
Max E Verde
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog72 View Post
Does anyone have any idea how many they might carry? If Best Buy in Woodbridge is going to have 50-100 (according to iClarified) then I can't imagine an Apple store having any less.

I'm just concerned that if I get there at 5 or 6am and I'm 70th in line... I don't want to be worried that I may not get one. Has anyone experienced something like this in the past or know someone who was 100th in line but still got a phone?

Also, are we limited to 1 phone per customer or 2? I've been reading both. I imagine if we were allowed to buy 2, the second customer (in this case my wife) would have to be there... and she will never get up to wait in line with me @5am even if they were handing out gold bullion!!!

Apple, historically, has had exponentially more iPhones than AT&T, and likely the same for Best Buy. They should have enough for everyone who reserved. As for walk-ins, I have no idea how many they will have and neither does anyone I've talked to. Walk-ins will be first come, first serve.

And I do not know the answer to your second question, but i saw this on the Apple online store,
Quote:
Pick up your first iPhone at an Apple Retail Store and an Apple Retail associate can help you purchase additional iPhones.
But that may just be for people who Reserve, as it was on the page before you could click reserve.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:31 AM   #56
bscottd
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Best Buy surely didn't have that many... I was #28 at the Woodbridge store and I did not get one.
bscottd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:32 AM   #57
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjespo22 View Post
I went to the mall the night before at about 11pm. I was #1 in line and also met up with a friend there who i had met the previous year from the 2g launch. We were there maybe for 1 hr until the old fat bald security guard.
We waited across the street at good year since we can tell from there if and when people start to show up. We ended up going up the ramp to the second floor around 7am and we didnt see anyone until we realized they were all hiding in the stairwell in the parking garage. we ended up being real far back in the line when we really were there the night before and were first on line. After that incident i would rather stay away from there on launch days.
LOL, you must have been in that mob I described on this post. Sorry, I sort of lucked out parking downstairs instead of leaving the premises entirely. What's even funnier at all of our expense is that Apple still had stock by the end of the day and the line was near empty.

I'm planning to be there with my two 16GB reservations. Anyone looking to get a 16GB want to help me get a 32GB? Whether you're on reservation or walk in, we can go in together, you can ask for a 32GB, I'll ask for a 16GB, and we'll switch products with the Apple rep himself and he'll ring us up. PM me.

Last edited by BeyondtheTech; Jun 23, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
BeyondtheTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 01:37 PM   #58
edog72
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech View Post

I'm planning to be there with my two 16GB reservations. Anyone looking to get a 16GB want to help me get a 32GB? Whether you're on reservation or walk in, we can go in together, you can ask for a 32GB, I'll ask for a 16GB, and we'll switch products with the Apple rep himself and he'll ring us up. PM me.
Hey BeyondtheTech, I'm willing to do this with you. I can't PM for some reason. I'm a "walk-in" buyer so as long as they allow me to buy two phones I'll hook you up.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 01:46 PM   #59
bscottd
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hey BeyondtheTech, I'm willing to do this with you. I can't PM for some reason. I'm a "walk-in" buyer so as long as they allow me to buy two phones I'll hook you up.
I think you can only buy 2 phones if you have 2 AT&T lines. 1 phone per line, 2 max. For example if I am there and my wife isn't, I can buy 2 because we both have lines with AT&T plans. If you buy without an AT&T contract you are paying that expensive price... something like $599 and $699 or something.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 01:51 PM   #60
edog72
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I think you can only buy 2 phones if you have 2 AT&T lines. 1 phone per line, 2 max. For example if I am there and my wife isn't, I can buy 2 because we both have lines with AT&T plans. If you buy without an AT&T contract you are paying that expensive price... something like $599 and $699 or something.

I actually have 4 lines on my account. So if you're correct... one of those phones should be eligible for upgrade/subsidized price. I know my phone is since the last time I upgraded was when the 3G came out over 2 years ago! Thx for the info!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 02:00 PM   #61
edog72
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Best Buy surely didn't have that many... I was #28 at the Woodbridge store and I did not get one.
Ah, the ATT store. Was this for the 3G or the 3Gs? I was 3rd in line there for the 3G. I remember how their servers started crashing when I walked out. You must've been one of the ones waiting when I left.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 02:17 PM   #62
ayobonus
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max E Verde View Post
I just talked to an Apple Store manager at around 10am this morning, they will be letting people in the mall at 6am
I just came from the gym at WOW, and after that I went to the Apple Store. I spoke with an employee and he said that their doors will be opening at 7AM, but they will let people INSIDE the mall at 6AM. I also asked him if they're letting people line up outside the mall doors, and he said you "should" be able to, but he said to check with mall security to have a more accurate answer. After that I circled the mall like twice, and circled the parking lot countless times and couldn't find any mall security. Where's mall security when you need it, right?

Anyway, I'll be sending Menlo another e-mail since they never responded to my last one. And also I found the Mall Security room. It's a really small door on the second floor near Nordstrom. It's by the like suit place and across the back of Armani Exchange. If you weren't looking for it, you'd never find it, lol. I looked inside the doors, and no one seemed to be there, and the doorknob had one of those numberpads to get in. I got their phone number though, so I'll give them a call and find out.
ayobonus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 02:40 PM   #63
bscottd
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayobonus View Post
I just came from the gym at WOW, and after that I went to the Apple Store. I spoke with an employee and he said that their doors will be opening at 7AM, but they will let people INSIDE the mall at 6AM. I also asked him if they're letting people line up outside the mall doors, and he said you "should" be able to, but he said to check with mall security to have a more accurate answer. After that I circled the mall like twice, and circled the parking lot countless times and couldn't find any mall security. Where's mall security when you need it, right?

Anyway, I'll be sending Menlo another e-mail since they never responded to my last one. And also I found the Mall Security room. It's a really small door on the second floor near Nordstrom. It's by the like suit place and across the back of Armani Exchange. If you weren't looking for it, you'd never find it, lol. I looked inside the doors, and no one seemed to be there, and the doorknob had one of those numberpads to get in. I got their phone number though, so I'll give them a call and find out.
Thanks for checking into it. Let us know what you find out.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 02:49 PM   #64
Dragula22
macrumors member

Damn ATT and their delay!

So it's nice for them to let us into the mall at 6AM.

Do people remember from past years at what point did they let people in the first come first serve line into the store? If so, does it become 50:50? As in, do people from the reserve and non reserve go in one after another?

Also, there's no way they'd not notify the people who are waiting that there's not enough stock right? They must know beforehand how many non-reserve iphones there are to give and will probably cut the line off accordingly?
Dragula22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:28 PM   #65
edog72
macrumors newbie

ATTENTION Walk-in's

I just spoke to an ATT rep and they're under the impression that THERE WILL BE NO PHONES AVAILABLE FOR any WALK-IN'S until June 29th.

I got a cryptic message to the contrary from an Apple rep who said, "Just show up here at 7am Thursday morning". Keep in mind, he was a newbie and just started working there 3 days prior. This was last Friday (June 25th).

I can only imagine they'll have phones available for walk-ins too. Not just reserves. But then again, I never heard of a product selling out the first day of a pre-sale!!! Maybe they could only produce the amount that was pre-sold. Either way, I'm going to Menlo to find out for myself dammie!!!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:06 PM   #66
edog72
macrumors newbie

Menlo's response

This just in from Menlo:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Apple release. The Mall doors by Apple will open at 6 am. Separate lines will be formed for AT&T and Apple. "

Looks like our emails worked. See ya'll in a few!!!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:07 PM   #67
ayobonus
macrumors member

Okay..

Alright, well this is what I found out, and I think it's going to be as close as we get to finding an answer.

Okay, so here's what we all know, or should know.

1. Apple Stores open at 7AM, mall doors open at 6AM.
2. AT&T will not have any phones in stock for walk-ins until June 29th, so there's no point of waiting in line for them.
3. There will be two lines for the Apple Store, one for pre-orders, and one for walk-in purchases. Walk-in purchases will be on a first come, first serve basis.
4. I sent another e-mail to Menlo Mall, and still no answer. I have a feeling they won't answer. They answered bscottd though.
5. I called mall security, and this is what he told me: He doesn't know what exactly they're doing about tomorrow morning. He did reassure that the mall doors open at 6AM. I asked him if we're allowed to wait in line earlier than 6AM, because that would be the most logical thing to let us do. He said that was true, and that they might let people wait in line, but they might not. He said that we should be able to line up outside a little before 6AM, but he said they also might not let us. He said the best way is to just go, and try out your luck. He said that mall security might make people disperse the premises, but they maybe not.

So I guess we're taking our chances.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:51 PM   #68
blazinz
macrumors regular

WOW little vague from mall security.. I never heard back from emailing the mall as well. So i'll be there around 5AM with my reservation waiting in line see u all there... hopefully they let us line up and everything goes smoothly!!
blazinz is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:56 PM   #69
ayobonus
macrumors member

Okay, just got an e-mail from Menlo Mall. Here's what they said:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Apple release. The Mall doors by Apple will open at 6 am. Separate lines will be formed for AT&T and Apple."

..That didn't answer my question at all lol. I asked them if we were able to stand in line outside before 6AM. Got the same response as edog72. I guess they're sending out the same response to everyone.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:29 PM   #70
bscottd
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayobonus View Post
Okay, just got an e-mail from Menlo Mall. Here's what they said:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Apple release. The Mall doors by Apple will open at 6 am. Separate lines will be formed for AT&T and Apple."

..That didn't answer my question at all lol. I asked them if we were able to stand in line outside before 6AM. Got the same response as edog72. I guess they're sending out the same response to everyone.
I hate that they are dodging the question. If you go back to my first email I posted about this the dude said "You will not be allowed to stand outside the doors early waiting to get in." I wonder why they are not telling people that now.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:38 PM   #71
edog72
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I hate that they are dodging the question. If you go back to my first email I posted about this the dude said "You will not be allowed to stand outside the doors early waiting to get in." I wonder why they are not telling people that now.
Let's hope that they changed their minds.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:47 PM   #72
bscottd
macrumors newbie

Are you all pre orders or walk ins?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:01 PM   #73
Max E Verde
macrumors regular

Quote:
Reserved here (aka pre-order). Planning on getting to Menlo at 5am. I live less than 5 minutes away.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:18 PM   #74
blazinz
macrumors regular

reserved one ... plan on being there no later than 5:30am...
blazinz is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:24 PM   #75
ayobonus
macrumors member

Quote:
Yeah, I know, me too. I'm wondering why they gave different answers. Hopefully they changed their minds and let us do the most logical thing: form a damn line.

Quote:
I'm a walk-in. Had a lot of trouble trying to pre-order

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups