iphone 3G/3GS to iPhone 4 Upgrade Procedure ? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:06 AM   #1
IMZ14U2NV
macrumors newbie

iphone 3G/3GS to iPhone 4 Upgrade Procedure ?

I know that this is a probably a stupid question, but what happens when I receive my shinny new iPhone 4?

I currently have the iPhone 3G and of course lots of apps, videos, music, contacts and so on.

I pre-ordered the iPhone 4 for delivery, So, when the new phone arrives on June 24th, do I sync my old iPhone 3G and then plug in the new iPhone 4 and restore from the iPhone 3G backup?

I am asking because I am excited but I donít want to screw-up the new phone when I get it.
IMZ14U2NV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:41 AM   #2
DotCom2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMZ14U2NV View Post
I know that this is a probably a stupid question, but what happens when I receive my shinny new iPhone 4?

I currently have the iPhone 3G and of course lots of apps, videos, music, contacts and so on.

I pre-ordered the iPhone 4 for delivery, So, when the new phone arrives on June 24th, do I sync my old iPhone 3G and then plug in the new iPhone 4 and restore from the iPhone 3G backup?

I am asking because I am excited but I donít want to screw-up the new phone when I get it.
Yes.
DotCom2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:58 AM   #3
IMZ14U2NV
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotCom2 View Post
Yes.
Thanks,
I was just thinking, something I should never do lol.

Would it make more sense to upgrade my iPhone 3G to IOS 4 and then restore my iPhone 4 from the iPhone 3G backup??

I get this funny feeling that I am over thinking this, please stop me lol.
IMZ14U2NV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:04 PM   #4
randomerratum
macrumors 6502

No- you don't want to restore from your 3G backup.
Just plug it in to iTunes to activate it (it'll figure out how to xfer the phone number and accept info)

then I suspect you're just going to have to spend some time selecting music, photos, apps etc. It may be a bit of a pain, but I'm actually looking forward to the whole process.

I've had the 3G and this will be my first "upgrade" so I'm not sure... I just assume you don't want to "restore" all your old OS and settings... you probably want to start fresh.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:11 PM   #5
DotCom2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMZ14U2NV View Post
Thanks,
I was just thinking, something I should never do lol.

Would it make more sense to upgrade my iPhone 3G to IOS 4 and then restore my iPhone 4 from the iPhone 3G backup??

I get this funny feeling that I am over thinking this, please stop me lol.
LOL
I know what you mean...I do the same thing.
As to updating to iOS 4 first, that is what I am planning to do!
Depending on how much "STUFF" you have on your 3G you can either restore from backup or start new as also suggested, but for me, I have too much stuff and I will be restoring from backup.
This will be my 4th iPhone and that's how I've always done it with no problems.
YMMV
DotCom2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomerratum View Post
No- you don't want to restore from your 3G backup.
Just plug it in to iTunes to activate it (it'll figure out how to xfer the phone number and accept info)

then I suspect you're just going to have to spend some time selecting music, photos, apps etc. It may be a bit of a pain, but I'm actually looking forward to the whole process.

I've had the 3G and this will be my first "upgrade" so I'm not sure... I just assume you don't want to "restore" all your old OS and settings... you probably want to start fresh.
OP means restore the 3G user backup data, not the firmware. OP is correct. Once the iP4 is activated iTunes will search for iPhone user files and ask the user if he/she wants to restore one of those or just start off new. Select the former if you want your all your old apps, music, etc, same as your previous phone. Select new if you want to start off w/ a blank slate.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:16 PM   #7
mabazzaba
macrumors newbie

Wouldn't it be ridiculous if Apple didn't provide us with the answer (instructions) to your exact question when we receive our iphone 4s? I can see where you're coming from, but I wouldn't worry about it now.
mabazzaba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 03:14 PM   #8
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

I've restored many a time and can assure you that's it's a simple process that iTunes will walk you through. The only painful part is waiting for the initial sync to complete if you have a lot of apps, music, etc. It takes me about 2 hours from restore (maybe 10-20 minutes) to complete sync on my 16GB 3G (10GB used). I'm kinda hoping the iPhone and new Macs 2 years out are capable of USB 3 or lightpeak.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 03:45 PM   #9
kevink2
macrumors 6502a

I recently got an iPad, and I figure it will be similar to the iPhone.

I didn't restore my backup, since I planned to keep both devices. Instead, I did it as a new device. It still synced all my apps and would have done all my music too if I desired. I didn't, since I have my phone.

I plan to keep my old phone as a backup, so I won't restore from backup either.

I assume there are the following disadvantages to my proposed scheme. If you had DRM music, an additional device counts as an extra computer, so you are using one more of your authorized devices. This probably applies to purchased apps too. You would also have to reconfigure apps like email.
kevink2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:09 PM   #10
applemax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotCom2 View Post
Yes.
Steve, is that you?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone