Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Caolan96
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Derry, Northern Ireland, UK
iPad Skins and Shields

Hello All,

I'm here to ask a few questions.

1: Any recommendation for good skins, for the back of the iPad, that have a cut out for the apple logo, like the MacBook skins.

2: I am going to also purchase a shield for the screen, so what would you guys recommend?

Cheap eBay ones, zagg invisible shield, or power support.


Thanks in advance,

Caolán.
__________________
iMac 27" - 3.4Ghz Quad i7 - 4GB RAM - Radeon 6970 (2GB)
Macbook Air 13" - C2D 2.13GHz - 4GB RAM - 256GB
iPad 2 64GB 3G - White | HTC Sensation | Nikon D5000.
Caolan96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 06:36 PM   #2
gigaguy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TX
I use and prefer power support anti-glare for the screen, but there are other pretty good ones, but not Zagg.

I also use a back skin from sgpstore.com. they have several patterns -a textured white, or black, a black cube, and I have the black carbon on my 3G. they sell a pretty good screen protector too, i read.
the back skin has a perfect apple outline cutout (comes with a mini clear shield to cover just the apple), not a cheap circle cutout you see on cheap cases. It fits in all cases and docks fine too, (if you use the Apple dock.)

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info...oducts_id/1321

Last edited by gigaguy; Jun 19, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
gigaguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Caolan96
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Derry, Northern Ireland, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
I use and prefer power support anti-glare for the screen, but there are other pretty good ones, but not Zagg.

I also use a back skin from sgpstore.com. they have several patterns -a textured white, or black, a black cube, and I have the black carbon on my 3G. they sell a pretty good screen protector too, i read.
the back skin has a perfect apple outline cutout (comes with a mini clear shield to cover just the apple), not a cheap circle cutout you see on cheap cases. It fits in all cases and docks fine too, (if you use the Apple dock.)

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info...oducts_id/1321
Great thanks for the help, what's wrong with the zagg?
__________________
iMac 27" - 3.4Ghz Quad i7 - 4GB RAM - Radeon 6970 (2GB)
Macbook Air 13" - C2D 2.13GHz - 4GB RAM - 256GB
iPad 2 64GB 3G - White | HTC Sensation | Nikon D5000.

Last edited by Caolan96; Jun 19, 2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Edit, jut found the uk listed as great Britain, silly me!
Caolan96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 07:23 PM   #4
gigaguy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TX
Best Buy sells it for iPad, they had them on the display ipads, the screens felt sticky and tacky to me, and attracted grime and gunk, esp with all the kids playing with them. somehow zagg is very popular, I don't know why, probably cause Best Buy sells it. but there are other brands online cheaper and better IMO. power support is well regarded but considered pricey at $25, but I see the zagg is $30.
just one opinion.
gigaguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:25 PM   #5
xraytech
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caolan96 View Post
Hello All,

I'm here to ask a few questions.

1: Any recommendation for good skins, for the back of the iPad, that have a cut out for the apple logo, like the MacBook skins.

2: I am going to also purchase a shield for the screen, so what would you guys recommend?

Cheap eBay ones, zagg invisible shield, or power support.


Thanks in advance,

Caolán.
Not a fan of the skins with the apple cut out. Mainly because when you line up the Apple cut out perfectly the outer edges would be off by quit a bit.

For me, I use GelaSkins for the back...



... and Power Support Anti-Glare for the front.

xraytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:37 PM   #6
antiprotest
macrumors 65816
 
antiprotest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Gelaskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraytech View Post
Not a fan of the skins with the apple cut out. Mainly because when you line up the Apple cut out perfectly the outer edges would be off by quit a bit.

For me, I use GelaSkins for the back...
I agree. I bought Gelaskins because of the thread you started a short while ago.

I had been resistant to skins because I just didn't want to stick things (use adhesive) on to my devices, iPad or iPhone. On the other hand, I dislike full blown cases and wish to have my devices as naked as possible. Most of the time, I just need something on the back to protect the device from scratches when I put it on a table. So I would go with back covers like the NUDE. I tried several of these and even modifed a case to create one of my own. I was never 100% happy with any of them.

Now that I have tried a skin, I love it. This is exactly what I want. The skin does not really add to the weight. It protects the back and improves the grip. And it seems that Gelaskins are better than the others out there in terms of the materials uses.

Highly recommended.
antiprotest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:59 AM   #7
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604
 
SchneiderMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Apple state
Gelaskins are highly recommended. They do a great job protecting the back too.
__________________
Gdgtmac.com // TheGearGrid.com <Featuring The Best In Tech
SchneiderMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Caolan96
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Derry, Northern Ireland, UK
Thanks for all the replies,

I just ordered SGP carbon skin for the back, and power support crystal for the front.


Thanks for all the help.
__________________
iMac 27" - 3.4Ghz Quad i7 - 4GB RAM - Radeon 6970 (2GB)
Macbook Air 13" - C2D 2.13GHz - 4GB RAM - 256GB
iPad 2 64GB 3G - White | HTC Sensation | Nikon D5000.
Caolan96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Formul
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Czech Republic
...

SGP "leather" skin is awesome, fits perfectly and i honestly dont feel need for any other protection. After 2 months the screen is without any scratches.
Formul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 01:39 AM   #10
ryanide
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchneiderMan View Post
Gelaskins are highly recommended. They do a great job protecting the back too.
Do you think that using a Gelaskin would help to hide a slight dent in the back of the iPad? I was thinking that a busy design or image may just hide that slight imperfection??
ryanide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:11 PM   #11
heskey627
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Hi all,
I want to cover my ipad with a new skin. I already had a skin but its to old i need some good looking skin on it, So can any one provide some kind of skins stuff for my ipad.

Ipad skins
heskey627 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 05:56 PM   #12
b00st3d
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Orleans
Are any of these back protectors a static type of cling like the power support for the front?
b00st3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Best Skins Ever for iPad mini christof iPad Accessories 28 Feb 2, 2013 09:58 PM
iPad: iCarbons skins for ipad 4 now up glen e iPad Accessories 15 Dec 29, 2012 08:28 PM
iPad Mini: Best Shields Ever - iPad Mini Namtaro iPad Accessories 8 Dec 26, 2012 11:16 PM
Carbon Fibre Skins-BCO Skins pkerop4500 iPhone Accessories 3 Dec 23, 2012 04:28 AM
iPad: iPad 3 screen shields on an iPad 4th gen? theautopilot iPad Accessories 3 Nov 11, 2012 07:40 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC