Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amphibious

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I've been looking around at the various online backup solutions that are out there and I'm getting some mixed information.

I'm looking for a single solution (ie. one account, one price) to back up three computers (320GB, 320GB, 256GB), two scratch drives (320GB, 250GB), and a 4.5TB Drobo (4 x 1.5GB).

Backup speed doesn't matter at all. Capacity should be unlimited, with no file size caps. Cost is secondary to functionality, but the pricing for the "corporate" or "pro" options that many of these sites have is absurd.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sites I've already checked out:

Carbonite
Mozy
Elephant Drive
xzbackup
My Other Drive

vigorblade

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
New York, NY
I've been looking around at the various online backup solutions that are out there and I'm getting some mixed information.

I'm looking for a single solution (ie. one account, one price) to back up three computers (320GB, 320GB, 256GB), two scratch drives (320GB, 250GB), and a 4.5TB Drobo (4 x 1.5GB).

Backup speed doesn't matter at all. Capacity should be unlimited, with no file size caps. Cost is secondary to functionality, but the pricing for the "corporate" or "pro" options that many of these sites have is absurd.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sites I've already checked out:

Carbonite
Mozy
Elephant Drive
xzbackup
My Other Drive

I am researching to answer this same question. I am a graphic artist who also specializes in graphic design and web design, so there is a ton of work I do not want to lose.

One other you can check out is CrashPlan, this is the one that I am leaning to, but still comparing to others, including those you posted.

amphibious

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I am researching to answer this same question. I am a graphic artist who also specializes in graphic design and web design, so there is a ton of work I do not want to lose.

One other you can check out is CrashPlan, this is the one that I am leaning to, but still comparing to others, including those you posted.

Huh... never heard of these guys, but it looks pretty good. Prices are competitive. The $60 CrashPlan+ upgrade is kinda awkward. Removes the ads and includes continuous backup.

I wonder how invasive the ads in the standard client are.

yogitc

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
I am using Mozy

I started using Mozy few weeks back. I find it really good compared to others as there is no size limitation on home pro account. But you can backup only two computers with any number of removable hard disks from single account. Still I find it cheapest option compared to others.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I just started looking at online backup too. How does this work? I want it to store my videos, movies, tv shows, etc. Would I still be able to access and watch them from Plex, for example, while theyre not in my computers hard drive?

That would be really great. I wouldnt want an option where I have to download every single video file when I want to watch it on Plex on my mac mini set up as an HTPC on my living room.

Do you guys think it would work as I want? For example: Im on my living room, I start the mac mini and then open Plex and from there I watch every single video file stored on Mozy, for example?

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Backblaze would work, depending on how your Drobo was set up. If it's a network drive, it wouldn't work. It'd cost you $150 a year for the 3 computers, the upload speed is much better than their competitors. I'd recommend taking a good look at them. Like was said, you better have a quick upload speed. Good luck.

Alexc698

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
Try with ZenOK

Im using ZenOK Online backup. It is pretty cheap and it comes with a free antivirus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.