Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:57 PM   #1
benoitgphoto
macrumors 6502

Apple Tv...1 question and need opinion

Hi...I'm looking at getting an Apple Tv especially for viewing content from Itunes that I would rent or buy, I'm not really interested in ripping content or being able to view many different formats. However, I was wondering 2 things that you guys could help me in my decision :

1. How is the quality on a 42'' 720p HD TV ? Does it upscale from 720p to 1080i when viewing content from the Itunes Store ?

2. Also, I need your opinion : Knowing the recent rumor about a perhaps imminent upgrade of the Apple Tv to a cloud based model, would you rather wait the upgrade or just take the plunge and buy it now ?

Thanks for your help.
benoitgphoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:34 PM   #2
tommylotto
macrumors regular

With a 720p TV, the current AppleTV will look as good as your TV can display.* If you are thinking about upgrading your TV, I might consider waiting for the new version. But if this is your TV for the foreseeable future, the current AppleTV will meet your needs quite nicely.

* Frankly, the HD material downloaded from iTMS looks tremendous. You will not be disappointed.
tommylotto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:26 PM   #3
WildGuess
macrumors regular

I have an Apple box and a Vudu box hooked to an LG 1080p. Vudu rents what they call HDX. It's 1080 and equal to BluRay. Compared to 720 - Apple max - it's night and day.
WildGuess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:21 AM   #4
benoitgphoto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylotto View Post
With a 720p TV, the current AppleTV will look as good as your TV can display.* If you are thinking about upgrading your TV, I might consider waiting for the new version. But if this is your TV for the foreseeable future, the current AppleTV will meet your needs quite nicely.

* Frankly, the HD material downloaded from iTMS looks tremendous. You will not be disappointed.
Thanks both of you for your advice. I am not looking to change my 720p TV anytime soon as I just got it a month ago, considering that 1080p is not really necessary for me since my cable company only provides 720p/1080i and it won't change in the short term.

Finally took the plunge with the actual ATV and would have to say that so far I'm really satisfied. It does what I was looking for and even more with a simple operation that my wife can use easily without my help.

Thanks again !!!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:31 PM   #5
djdirect
macrumors newbie

I too only have a 720p, albeit a 46", but changed the video resolution to1080i on the TV and on the ATV. I rented Sherlock Holmes in HD a week ago and it looked great. I also just rented another movie yesterday in SD and to tell you the truth, it looked just as good.
djdirect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:57 PM   #6
brentsg
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoitgphoto View Post
Thanks both of you for your advice. I am not looking to change my 720p TV anytime soon as I just got it a month ago, considering that 1080p is not really necessary for me since my cable company only provides 720p/1080i and it won't change in the short term.
Glad you like it. We enjoy ours.

On the TV front, properly deinterlaced 1080i from a digital source is 100% equivalent to a 1080p source.

That being said, a choice of 720p for a display is more a function of size and viewing distance. As long as you can't see pixels from your seating position you're good to go.
brentsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:52 PM   #7
benoitgphoto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
Glad you like it. We enjoy ours.

On the TV front, properly deinterlaced 1080i from a digital source is 100% equivalent to a 1080p source.

That being said, a choice of 720p for a display is more a function of size and viewing distance. As long as you can't see pixels from your seating position you're good to go.
Well...that brings me a question then...should I keep the Apple TV set to 720p or should I put it to 1080i ?

Thanks...Ben
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:35 AM   #8
The Mad Kiwi
macrumors 6502

720p the action will be a bit smoother.
The Mad Kiwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater