Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubnde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
UK
I just ordered iPhone 4 SIM Free and I am trying to understand this activation procedure I hear repeatedly mentioned.

What is iPhone activation?

Is it required for SIM Free iPhones?

How does it affect the iPhone for procedure to get hooked up on to the interweb?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
iPhone activation just tells Apple that the phone is in use, and so its database can keep a track of your iPhone, and its status (e.g. carrier etc.).

As far as I know, it's sort of required for SIM-free iPhones.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
All iPhones require activation though iTunes (apple server). Makes no difference if it's simfree or locked.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
No but your phone will download a carrier update file for whatever carrier your using.

I think your getting the activation confused with sim activation.

dubnde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
UK
No but your phone will download a carrier update file for whatever carrier your using.

I think your getting the activation confused with sim activation.

I hear you. If my carrier does not currently [officially] support iPhone, how then can the phone "download a carrier update file"?

No wonder there is talk of server meltdown during launch days due to this activation requirement.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I hear you. If my carrier does not currently [officially] support iPhone, how then can the phone "download a carrier update file"?

No wonder there is talk of server meltdown during launch days due to this activation requirement.

The iPhone will just load the profile which is present on the SIM.

A server meltdown is completely independant of anything we're talking of here.

dubnde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
UK
The iPhone will just load the profile which is present on the SIM.

A server meltdown is completely independant of anything we're talking of here.

Makes sense if it loads from SIM.

ta.

gopherblue

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
I have AT&T and a 2G iphone I just activated to get the unlimited data plan (using a microSIM taped in the SIM tray). I have a Canadian unlocked IP4 on the way. Do I need to put the microSIM in the IP4 to activate it with iTunes, or can I just activate the SIM free phone in iTunes first, then insert the microSIM?

I don't want to screw up the 2G unlimited data plan, so I can get unlimited data grandfathered to the IP4.

thx!

Komiksulo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Ontario
I bought a factory-unlocked phone direct from Apple. I put my carrier's SIM in, connected it to iTunes, and activated it. The first iTunes screen that came up said, "Congratulations! Your iPhone is now unlocked. To set it up and transfer data, press Continue." It seems that Apple needs to register or at least acknowledge each iPhone when it is first connected, and I have read here that at this time a code is placed on the phone indicating whether it is unlocked or not. Then I proceeded with the setup and transferred my data to the phone. At one point I got a carrier settings update as well.

Dinky1496

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Sim Free Iphone 4s

Hi all, i am living in the Caribbean and i have an Iphone 4s which is Sim free and from Verizon, can it be unlocked for a GSM network without a sim card, because there's no sim card tray

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.