Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:33 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Cry, Beloved Apple Stock

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Cry, Beloved Apple Stock
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2004, 04:01 PM   #2
Ambrose Chapel
macrumors 65816

i <3 morford's columns
Ambrose Chapel is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2004, 05:03 PM   #3
polyesterlester
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to polyesterlester Send a message via AIM to polyesterlester Send a message via MSN to polyesterlester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose Chapel
i <3 morford's columns
Me too. His writing's so rich and saturated with humorous metaphors and ridiculous adjectivery.

polyesterlester is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2004, 05:17 PM   #4
BruinJohn
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to BruinJohn
Should I sell mine too?

I am in the same shoes as Mark Morford. I don't have many shares, but if I sold them today, I would have made a 300% profit. But I want to know if there is a possibility of the stock spliting. I saw that there were all of these Apple execs selling their stocks. Maybe they know something we don't. Is there anyone out there who can tell me what a stock split is and if Apple is primed to do so? Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 06:05 PM   #5
rikers_mailbox
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinJohn
Is there anyone out there who can tell me what a stock split is and if Apple is primed to do so?
I second that question. . the stock market scene is new to me.

With regards to whether to sell or not, well, no one can predict that. That's the fun of owning stocks. Although all signs are pointing towards a pretty good holiday season for Apple. Maybe wait until after this coming Tuesday's music event and drawn your own conclusions??
rikers_mailbox is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2004, 06:15 PM   #6
Hoef
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinJohn
Is there anyone out there who can tell me what a stock split is and if Apple is primed to do so? Thanks.
Basically the value of the company is the amount of shares x share value. So if there are 10 shares worth $100, the company is worth $1000. With a stock split the stock value is cut in half by offering twice as much shares: now having 20 shares worth $50 each (company value still $1000).

However with $50/share you made the company look more attractive for potential investors. This is however pure psychology as the value remains the same, people just rather buy shares priced $50 than priced $100
Hoef is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2004, 07:06 PM   #7
Flying Llama
macrumors 6502a

this guy should become a poet...
|..|__..|..|__..(____..../|__|__|..../..(____..../
|____/.|____/.........\./...........\./...........\./
Flying Llama is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2004, 06:22 AM   #8
billyboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Llama
this guy should become a poet...
and he definitely should not be a stock analyst!

Im no analyst, but what I have learnt is that you have to be happy with your investment. If 300% profit doesnt do it for you, then you better be sure you have checked out the figures to see what AAPL is worth versus what it is trading at. If it isnt worth $47, and in addition to that, Apples plans for growth dont add up ever to justifying $47 to the hard noses who dont love Apple unswervingly, then enough people will eventually twig, and for you, holding on staunchly to your shares could see your 300% become 200% or just breakeven in a day or a month of sell offs for profit taking.

And as for splits, it is a wierd pschology. Ever seen the price of Berkshire Hathaway shares? $80,000 per share. No need to have any psycho babble to convince long term investors to stick with Warren Buffet.
billyboy is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2004, 11:17 AM   #9
Hoef
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy
. No need to have any psycho babble to convince long term investors to stick with Warren Buffet.
It is difficult to buy those share ... and ask/bid spread is large too!
Hoef is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion