Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Obviously multi-tasking is out, and I'm hearing to wallpapers on the homescreen. What things CAN the 3g do, for those of you who have had iOS4 for awhile?

I have searched the internet for a little and most just found 'iPhone 3G will not have all features", which isn't very specific.

Thanks!

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Not a whole lot. About the only things of value in 4.0 on a 3G are folders and the unified Inbox. There's no wallpapers, no multitasking, and overall I feel it runs very sluggish. I compare the experience of 4.0 on my 3G to my fiance's 3GS (also w/ 4.0) and let me just say I can't wait to get my hands on an iPhone 4.

The 3G has outlived much of its usefulness.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
f00f said:
Not a whole lot. About the only things of value in 4.0 on a 3G are folders and the unified Inbox. There's no wallpapers, no multitasking, and overall I feel it runs very sluggish. I compare the experience of 4.0 on my 3G to my fiance's 3GS (also w/ 4.0) and let me just say I can't wait to get my hands on an iPhone 4.

Totally agree with every point. Had 2 good years with it, selling it a decent price. Me = happy.

bina12834

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008

Why wouldnt the 3G be able to do wallpapers? i thought multitasking was lthe only thing it couldnt do in iOS4?

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Some of this stuff is going to be repeated from above but:

• New Dock
• Spell Check
• Folders
• Unified Inbox
• Ability to Sync Notes
• Birthday Calendars
• Ability to show multiple calendars instead of having all or one
• iBooks (as soon as it is updated to be a universal app)
• Create Playlist
• Album Art in Album View
• Ability to turn off location services for certain apps
• More complex passwords
• YouTube videos in portrait
• 5x digital zoom (I'm not sure on this one because right now I have 4.0 on a 2G iPod touch so I can't test this one out.) EDIT: CaliKev confirmed this below.

That's all I can think of for right now

Also, you're gonna think I'm insane for saying this but I highly suggest doing a fresh install of 4.0 as in restore to 4.0 and then don't restore from a backup. I know you think I'm crazy but it will be less sluggish if you do this.

CaliKev

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Here is a list of the features I've noticed while playing with iOS4 for the last couple days:

- The ipod app shows the album art when you are playing an album

- Unified inbox as others have mentioned.

- Spell check will basically red underline misspelled words.

- You can combine apps to make folders

- Adding a contact is more streamlined

- The icons are much more crisper on the home screen

- Calculator app has a new icon

- The tray for the 4 main icons on the bottom is different

- Find my location in the map app has a different icon for some reason

- Some of the settings have been simplified and changed

- Game Center app is included

That's all I can remember right now. not a whole lot of change, and GM runs really slow on my 3G. I'm really hoping when iOS4 is officially out I can reinstall and hope to get a smoother running version. Cause this is crap. Songs skip when I get a text message. Loading any app takes about 15-30 seconds.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Is a restore from 4 and reinstall apps, etc., rather than loading 4.0 and then syncing from a backup restore proving the 3G to be less sluggish?

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Sad to see it's still ridiculously sluggish. I thought maybe it would be a little more tolerable. White iP4 cant come soon enough.....

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Also, you're gonna think I'm insane for saying this but I highly suggest doing a fresh install of 4.0 as in restore to 4.0 and then don't restore from a backup. I know you think I'm crazy but it will be less sluggish if you do this.

Agreed. I don't have personal experience with this update, but in the past, any sluggishness with new updates was usually fixed by doing a clean restore of the latest update, then adding apps, music, etc. without a backup restore.

It's a bit of a pain to lose some saved games and things, but it was worth the speed increase.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Is a restore from 4 and reinstall apps, etc., rather than loading 4.0 and then syncing from a backup restore proving the 3G to be less sluggish?

You could always just put the backup on there and if it is sluggish then restore again and don't put it on there. I went straight to not putting it on there because with 3.0 at first I did restore from a backup and it was sluggish but then I restored again and didn't put the backup on there and it was a lot better so with 4.0 I just went straight to not putting the backup on it.

fastblack

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
I have a 3g currently and am mutlitasking pandora now, its a simple plist edit. Same with wallpapers

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Sad to see it's still ridiculously sluggish. I thought maybe it would be a little more tolerable. White iP4 cant come soon enough.....

That's exactly what I'm waiting for.... I may not upgrade my iPhone 3G to iOS 4 as it already isn't exactly a speed demon. I sure wouldn't want it to slow down even more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.