Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Hi there,

Is anyone else out there as cheap as me and didn't pay the $5 fee to update to version 3.0 of iOS on their 1st Gen Touch?

I'm wondering if I've missed my chance completely. For the past several days, when I connect to iTunes, it says I have the most recent version of the iPod software (version 2.2.1).

Does anybody know for sure if this is a temporary thing just to make room for the flood of version 4 updaters?

Thanks.

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I just tried to update to OS4 (now that it's available), but I'm also getting "the most recent version of the iPod software is 2.2.1." I never upgraded to 3 either. If I can't get 4 it's no big deal since I'll probably get the next Touch in the fall, but I thought I'd try today anyway. Looks like I might be out of luck.

UPDATE: Doh! Just realized OS4 isn't available for iPhone generation 1.

MacStu09

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Yeah, same problem here. Only after I updated to 9.2 though...Before I did the itunes update it said upgrade to 3.1.3. Now it just says 2.2.1 is the latest...

Trexznl

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2009
The Netherlands
Yeah, same problem here. Only after I updated to 9.2 though...Before I did the itunes update it said upgrade to 3.1.3. Now it just says 2.2.1 is the latest...

I'm having the exact same problem. I was hoping the upgrade to iOS3 would be free aswell, now iOS4 has been released. iTunes 9.1 stated that there was an update available (3.1.3), but that I had to upgrade to 9.2. After upgrading to 9.2, it states that 2.2.1 is the latest software. Did Apple pull iOS3 altogether? Are the cheapskates (people with 1Gs refusing to upgrade to iOS3) now screwed?

I hope not, else my iTouch is going to be an expensive paperweight, as there are hardly any iOS2 applications left.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
I have the same problem! 1st gen iPod Touch and can't update to OS3. Dang it! There are plenty of aps that I can't update. Some that I can't even install.

Then maybe you should update your ipod (to a later gen).

MacStu09

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Im aware of that. But i still think once every four years you can buy a new ipod touch.

Well, maybe if mommy and daddy buy it, or if you are well-off. But for those who are normal and/or hurting now, spending $200 on a tiny piece of technology every four years isn't reasonable. (I wouldn't even have one if I didn't win it, because not everyone has money to spare on non-necessities. Heck, every app on mine is free as well, because I don't have money to buy non-tangible items.)

To the OP: I'm seeing what's up, waiting on a response from Apple. I'll keep you updated.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Well, maybe if mommy and daddy buy it, or if you are well-off. But for those who are normal and/or hurting now, spending $200 on a tiny piece of technology every four years isn't reasonable. (I wouldn't even have one if I didn't win it, because not everyone has money to spare on non-necessities. Heck, every app on mine is free as well, because I don't have money to buy non-tangible items.)

To the OP: I'm seeing what's up, waiting on a response from Apple. I'll keep you updated.

Sorry. Geeeeeeeeezzz. Then I dont have an answer.

MacStu09

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Sorry. Geeeeeeeeezzz. Then I dont have an answer.

Haha, sorry my response was so blunt, but that was kind of the point, you didn't have an answer or any input into the situation.

Whenever people are looking for an answer and get one like yours, it's almost like hijacking a thread, or it will just make them mad, especially when they're frustrated at the current situation; even if your comment was light in it's intention.

Sorry to have to be so rude.

OP: Apparently this same kind of problem happened back when 3 originally came out and it was fixed a few days later; we'll see.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Haha, sorry my response was so blunt, but that was kind of the point, you didn't have an answer or any input into the situation.

Whenever people are looking for an answer and get one like yours, it's almost like hijacking a thread, or it will just make them mad, especially when they're frustrated at the current situation; even if your comment was light in it's intention.

Sorry to have to be so rude.

OP: Apparently this same kind of problem happened back when 3 originally came out and it was fixed a few days later; we'll see.

Its cool.

OP, I guess that youre running the most current version (at least for 1st gen), I guess youre out of luck.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Its cool.

OP, I guess that youre running the most current version (at least for 1st gen), I guess youre out of luck.

You are not understanding the problem. The problem is, 2.2.1 is not the most current version of the iPhone OS for the 1st gen iPod Touch. iTunes is now incorrectly stating that, though. We are looking for help or information since 3.1.3 is the correct most current version. This problem began when iPhone OS4 was released...

We're "out of luck" for OS4. But the problem with not being able to update to OS3 is an issue that Apple needs to fix.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
You are not understanding the problem. The problem is, 2.2.1 is not the most current version of the iPhone OS for the 1st gen iPod Touch. iTunes is now incorrectly stating that, though. We are looking for help or information since 3.1.3 is the correct most current version. This problem began when iPhone OS4 was released...

We're "out of luck" for OS4. But the problem with not being able to update to OS3 is an issue that Apple needs to fix.

I understood that, then apple needs to fix it. Whats up with all the hostility in this thread? :eek:

johnnyham

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Try downloading the 3.1.3 firmware update for iPod touch 1G, you can find it easily via Google. Then under your iPod settings on iTunes, underneath Check for Updates there's a Restore button. Hold the option key while clicking it, and it will allow you to choose a restore file. Navigate to wherever you saved the .ipsw file and let it do its stuff.

MacStu09

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Well, the problem is with 2.2.1 itself. Here's a workaround, download 3.1.2 from that felixbruns. After it installs, itunes update will work again and will offer 3.1.3. Then you can download 3.1.3 straight from Apple. I did it and surprisingly, everything's running a little better.

rrraven

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
Toronto
how to select the desired restore file

I am also trying to update my 1st Gen Touch to 3.0 from 2.2.1. I downloaded the file iPod1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw (since the 3.1.3 one seems to be corrupt). Then I go through iTunes (9.2) and select my touch from the Device section of the choices at the left, and go to the summary tab. But when do command-click on Restore it gives me a choice of cancel or Restore (after warning me everything will be erased). I don't see a way to navigate and choose the restore file I want it to use.

shadowfactors

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
I too would like to upgrade my 1st gen ipod touch to the new software from 2.1.1 to whatever the newest one is. HOWEVER, it claims that 2.1.1 is the most updated software?!?!? What am I supposed to do to upgrade it?

thanks for your help!

DanMacApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I have the same problem as itunes states 2.2.1 is the current version and does not give a way to upgrade. Hopefully this will be fixed soon!

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
I am also trying to update my 1st Gen Touch to 3.0 from 2.2.1. [snip] But when do command-click on Restore it gives me a choice of cancel or Restore (after warning me everything will be erased). I don't see a way to navigate and choose the restore file I want it to use.

Sounds like you aren't using the right key combination. On a mac, use option-click, not command-click.

Here are the instructions I have used in the past for this sort of thing.
From http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
After downloading the desired firmware, you can shift-click (PC) or option-click (Mac) the Restore or Update buttons in iTunes. A file dialog will open and let you choose the downloaded ipsw-file.

Note: Your browser may change the ipsw-file into a zip-file. In that case, just rename it to end in .ipsw and iTunes will accept it.

So just go to http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/, select iPod touch 1G (3.1.2/7E18), and update/restore your iPod touch using the instructions above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.