Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:49 AM   #51
Fidget08
macrumors regular

Now remember kids, don't put your iPad/children in a car for a while. It will not turn out well.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:57 AM   #52
hsotnicam8002
macrumors 6502

Anyone had this happen with their iPhone (any model) or any other phone?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:10 PM   #53
kkat69
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsotnicam8002 View Post
Anyone had this happen with their iPhone (any model) or any other phone?
Yah, my wife. She was camping and put her phone in the car and she told me the reason she wasn't able to answer any calls (when she checked) was that it kept popping up the over heat warning. I told her it shouldn't overheat if you had it out and she said it was in the car. Called her a dumb-XXX cuz the heat in the car is double the outside heat and you shorten the life of a device like that. So she actually cranked the car up turned up the AC so she could charge it.

Most electronics can handle the heat but devices like these especially when the pack so much into such a small space (someone here mentioned Apples design) they just aren't good to leave in a redneck microwave oven.

So leave them in if you want, but don't expect them to last as long as others who take the time to take care of their expensive toys and I don't mean baby them, I just use some common sense with my expensive toys and they last me a LONG time.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:05 PM   #54
doobry
macrumors member

hmm, did any of you do physics at school?

iPad in boot, iPad gets pretty warm..

iPad in car, covered in a coat or something, gets really warm.

iPad in car or outside in full sun. Sun cooks the internals, iPad gets *red* hot, you get the warning.

If you wanted Apple to design it to manage heat better, they'd have to cut more holes in it, fit fans or big heatsinks. Bigger batteries etc. Then it would be the size of a house..

So, common sense it is then?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:19 AM   #55
iCrosoft
macrumors regular

I don't even think about leaving it in the car at all in fear of thieves.

Regarding the temp issue, I barely let the iPad sit in the sun. My 5th gen iPod however practically lives in the locked glove compartment and has never suffered a heat stroke.
iCrosoft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:20 AM   #56
Mitchrapp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad;
I have an iPod Touch that stays in my car almost all the time. It resides in the center armrest and is used to play music, podcasts, etc. on my commute. I've left it in there for weeks on end and never thought about it. I've also never received a warning that it was too hot.

Just as well it has never failed to function. Now on leaving the iPhone, iPad or maybe my only child in the car? No likely. The iPad is still to new to be out of my site. The iPhone is a 3GS so its starting to get past the baby stage... The kid? Well, I've had her seven years... I'm kind of attached.
Maybe? Not likely? I thought that would be an emphatic NO.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:21 AM   #57
MrTan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobry View Post
If you wanted Apple to design it to manage heat better, they'd have to cut more holes in it, fit fans or big heatsinks. Bigger batteries etc. Then it would be the size of a house..
... or a laptop....
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:30 AM   #58
ChrisGonzales90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTan View Post
... or a laptop....
Not really. It can be thicker then a laptop.

and there is no need to roll your eyes.
ChrisGonzales90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:23 AM   #59
EldoInTheWeeds
macrumors member

I use my iPad for work in south Texas. I leave it in the trunk (boot) all the time and never get heat warnings. It is probably never in the trunk for more than an hour though.

I've had an iPod Touch connected to my car stereo since December 2008 with no issues either. It's in the console so it is out of direct light. My car has 20% tint.
EldoInTheWeeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:01 AM   #60
ecapdeville
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to ecapdeville Send a message via Skype™ to ecapdeville
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0101001 View Post
I thought that was just common sense.
Common sense is the less common of the senses.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:22 PM   #61
Chris Blount
macrumors 65816

Whenever I even think about leaving my iPad in the car, hot or not, I think about how much I paid for it.

That usually does the trick.
Chris Blount is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 04:19 AM   #62
andsoitgoes
macrumors newbie

I expected this to be a "My car got broken into and my iPad got stolen" thread.

And yes, my iPad is my 3rd child, so leaving it anywhere causes me anxiety, especially leaving it in a frickin' car, unattended.

What if it got lonely? That scares me. Poor thing..
andsoitgoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:40 AM   #63
Little Endian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0k View Post
I often leave my iPad in the car near the center console. Obviously I couldn't do this during extremely cold weather as I got it April 3rd. I haven't done it during extremely hot weather either.

After reading this thread, I'll be even more careful about taking my iPad along. If I'm on a long car trip and not the only driver, it goes with me. If I expect to park in the sun for many hours, it stays at home. When parking in the sun, the temperature at the center console is typically a lot lower than the spot on the dash where the insects get cooked. That's why the one poster in this thread gets away with keeping his iPod there. A lot of cars have their usb and aux jacks in the center console and it is common for people to leave iPods there for days at a time (not in freezing weather of course). The spot where I tuck my iPad is next to the console and somebody has to look pretty closely to realize it's there. In the Apple case, my iPad looks like a notebook and I make sure the Apple logo isn't facing outside to tempt thieves.

I should mention, if you need to leave your iPad in the car for a long time, tuck it under the seat. That's the coolest part of the car on a hot day. Crack open a window an inch or so. A few drops of rain may get in but the car won't get up to 130 degrees. As I mentioned above the center console stays relatively cool but not as cool as the floor area. A good way to check is to go around and touch surfaces immediately after getting in the car on a hot day. Clearly the dash will be hot as heck, as will any other area that gets direct sunlight. Touch the center console area and the floor. They are a lot cooler, but still might exceed iPad operating temps. You won't have to wait as long for it to cool down if you store it there as it would if you left it on the seat or on the shelf by the back window (arguably the hottest spot in the car or at least tied with the dash and front windshield area).
This is a wonderful exposition of heat and electronics in automobiles. I have a nearly 5 year old iPod video that has left the vehicle nary a couple dozen times. It has spent most of its life left hidden in my vehicles center console. Said iPod still works fine after some five years with decent battery life.

Mind you though that I usually park in covered garages. I also have a silver car with beige interior, this makes a difference in reflecting heat. Then again I do live in Hawaii which has a relatively balmy 80 degree year round average with plenty of sunshine. There are a whole bunch of scenarios that can come into play and ultimately one would have to judge what is "common sense" on a case to case basis.

Remember it's all about a case to case basis. If I had a black car with black interior and lived in Arizona or Nevada with limited to no access to covered parking and choose to leave an ipod or ipad on the dash or passenger seat then I would be an idiot. My valuable piece of consumer electronics would at that point be saying "cook me, cook me, cook me!!" or better yet "smash the windows and steal me!!"

Last edited by Little Endian; Jun 24, 2010 at 07:22 AM.
Little Endian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:42 AM   #64
fiddysent
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2spoon View Post
wow... would you leave your children locked up in the car too??

I would never leave my iPad inside my car, your just asking for trouble!!
wow. it's just a big ipod, not the fruit of your loins
fiddysent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:44 PM   #65
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502

Now I'm jealous because of a balmy 80 degrees... Today was 100 degrees with some real humidity here in the Peach State. My iPod Touch hasn't been out of the car in well? I can't remember the last time it has been out the car. Car is not garaged during the daytime and the thing always plays when I start the car. Battery life? Good question. I haven't operated it on battery in about a year.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:25 PM   #66
Jaro65
macrumors 68040

Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTan View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Cool! An iMbrella.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:19 PM   #67
master-ceo
macrumors 65816

That A4 Chip may be a Problem

The iPhone 4 has the same issue. I give the iPad a Pass, but the iPhone?
C'mon man.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=950997

Think for Yourself, Stop Mind Control
master-ceo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:40 PM   #68
alphaod
macrumors Core

Consider tinting your windows and getting a sunshade for your windshield. Helps a lot in the summer.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:51 AM   #69
superflush
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post
I left my iPad in the car for about 3 hours this morning while I did a few things in the office. It is only in the mid 80's or so today and I frequently leave my iPad for a few hours, so I did not think too much about it.
Why would you leave it in the car regardless. There are plenty of reasons why you wouldn't want to do this. Plus, its so portable ... just bring it in your office.
And why would you risk the heat. If it was 85 or so outside, it is definitely warmer in the car, and you are running the risk of damaging the iPad.
superflush is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:22 PM   #70
atarria
macrumors member

finger heat

The iPad may be damaged by heat or cold but the main reason it says too hot is its need to sense the heat of your finger. Thats how it works so if the devise is much hotter than your finger it can "read" your touch.
atarria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:36 PM   #71
TheNorthWaves
macrumors 6502

wow that's stupid. I can leave my MBP and my good old fashioned books in the car. I'm just one of those people who will never be able to justify an ipad .
TheNorthWaves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:11 AM   #72
tmarks11
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
On a hot day I wouldn't leave any valuable electronic in a car.
I leave my GPS on the dash of my car year round without a thought. How is it different then an iPad? Color touchscreen, lots of memory, lithium battery, runs winCE in the background behind magellen's shell. Never parked in a garage. Frequently interior car temps are above 130F.

GPS still works after two years, never gives me a "high temp shutdown".

Why is the iPad so delicate?

My laptop gets burning hot to the touch after a few hours of yew, still keeps churning on and is 3 years old.

Why is the iPad so delicate?

It isn't. The high temp shutdown is a software bug, it is set much to low, triggering shutdowns when it shouldn't. Supposedly Apple will change this set point in some future update.

I wouldn't leave my iPad on the dash on a hot day, but only because I wouldn't want someone to steal it. Under the seat or in the trunk? Nothing to worry about.

And that is a demonstration of "common sense"!

Last edited by tmarks11; Jun 27, 2010 at 07:33 AM.
tmarks11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:16 AM   #73
superflush
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
I leave my GPS on the dash of my car year round without a thought. How is it different then an iPad? Color touchscreen, lots of memory, lithium battery, runs winCE in the background behind magellen's shell. Never parked in a garage. Frequently interior car temps are above 130F.
Eh, with my GPS, it depends where I am and what the temperature is outside. If it is too cold or too warm, I try to avoid leaving it in the car. If you are leaving it in the car at 130F, you are likely causing damage to the battery and maybe to other parts as well. But, if you always keep it plugged in, then maybe you don't notice.
superflush is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:35 AM   #74
AppleKash
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxofien View Post
Being in Alaska, I'm more worried about the cold, my iPhone will shut down if it gets below 5 degrees or so, but i've learned to keep it in an inner pocket while romping around in the wintery wonderland, but now it's a blazing 60ish degrees.
A blazing 60, eh? Lord I wish I lived there it's a blazing 105 in South Texas
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:39 AM   #75
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget08 View Post
Now remember kids, don't put your iPad/children in a car for a while. It will not turn out well.
LOL

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad