Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rydenfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
I left my iPad in the car for about 3 hours this morning while I did a few things in the office. It is only in the mid 80's or so today and I frequently leave my iPad for a few hours, so I did not think too much about it. Well, when I took it out to read on it at lunch (as I do almost every day) there was a temperature warning and said the iPad needed to cool down before I could use it. YIKES :eek:

Just thought I would pass this along in the hopes it may help someone else...

Tellegrand

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
Sunny?Cloudy? Midwest
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. I had my iPad outside on the back patio reading and set it down to do some watering. When I picked it back up about 10 minutes later it had the same temp warning. It was only about 80 degrees outside. It took about 10-15 minutes before it would function again. I'm very careful now about heat.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
wow... would you leave your children locked up in the car too??

I would never leave my iPad inside my car, your just asking for trouble!! :D

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Happened to me over the weekend, it wasn't even 10 minutes I forgot to take with me when I went in to Starbucks. The temperature was around 24C and I got this warning. :eek:

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Hopefully this is just another issue that will be addressed in iPad 2. I can keep my GPS or MBP in a car without any issues and then use it. I would expect the same from iPad.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
The iPad's glass and metal enclosure probably makes it more susceptible to heat issues when it comes to sunlight. Other devices made of plastic and such probably aren't as susceptible. I don't think its a fault of the iPad, just something one has to deal with given the iPad's great build.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
This happens with my BlackBerry. If I'm outside for long periods of time, and it's in my back pocket in its holster, the battery app I have installed says the battery/CPU is too hot. I just turn the phone off and take the battery out until I got back inside. The hottest it has gotten was 103ºF

elephantinc

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
To be honest, I'd be more worried about it getting nicked. (but then I don't live in a warm country (england))
If you do keep it in the car, keep it in the boot, it's much cooler and safer.

Moxofien

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Alaska
Being in Alaska, I'm more worried about the cold, my iPhone will shut down if it gets below 5 degrees or so, but i've learned to keep it in an inner pocket while romping around in the wintery wonderland, but now it's a blazing 60ish degrees. :)

rydenfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
I thought that was just common sense.

You want to call my common sense into question? I leave a laptop in my car for short periods of time frequently with no issue. Lets go ahead and list accredited universities and job titles.

Only on Macrumors can someone come on to try and help others and be blasted for it :rolleyes:

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
It's been said that the temperature inside a car is always 10-15 degrees hotter then outside. That's why you never leave your kids or pets in a hot car.

And you shouldn't leave any valuables out in the open in your car. Someone can always break in and take it.

GamecockMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2005
Columbia, SC
You want to call my common sense into question? I leave a laptop in my car for short periods of time frequently with no issue. Lets go ahead and list accredited universities and job titles.

Only on Macrumors can someone come on to try and help others and be blasted for it :rolleyes:

Okay, I'll bite. Per Apple's own specs (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs)

Environmental requirements

* Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
* Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

Now here is an example of what happens inside a car on a hot day...

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/specialtopics/slideshows/hotcar061909.html

After just one hour with an outside temp of 90°, the inside of a car is at 133°. Do a little extrapolation and figure that if it's 80° outside, the interior of your car will be well above 100° after an hour, and much hotter than that after three hours.

I doubt anyone cares what you do or don't do with your laptop (and btw, it's not that smart to leave it in your car baking in the sun either), but Apple has explicitly given you the range of temperature in which the iPad is designed to operate. If you decide for whatever reason to attempt to operate it outside those limits, then no matter what your degrees and job title might infer, you aren't using very much common sense.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

Having successfully attended an accredited university has little to do with common sense.

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010

No offense it common sense.
Oh yeah don't leave ice cream in the oven or milk in the microwave.
Most people who have a bit of common sense will not leave any gadgets in a hot car .
Maybe you should not have children or we might see a warning thread.
Dont leave your child in a hot parked car.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
No offense it common sense.
Oh yeah don't leave ice cream in the oven or milk in the microwave.
Most people who have a bit of common sense will not leave any gadgets in a hot car .
Maybe you should not have children or we might see a warning thread.
Dont leave your child in a hot parked car.

Na we will see DHS at his house removing the children from the home.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Wait, so leaving your kids in the car is bad for them, too???

This is news to me.

I'm putting them in the car now.

Just make sure you put flame retardant insulated clothing on them:D.

Additionally, this was covered over a month ago on another thread, not about the kids, about leaving these kind of devices in direct sunlight and heat. I guess common sense is really not so common. Several years ago a friend of mine used to leave his several thousand dollar Taylor guitar in the trunk of his car and wondered why the wood cracked, HELLO! Taylor was kind enough to fix the crack for free.

Ipadq

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." - Albert Einstein

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.