Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:15 PM   #1
harryhood
macrumors regular

How to setup iPhone 4 from computer?

I have an iPhone 3G. I am going to back it up, take out the sim card and sell it, the night before I get my iPhone 4 in the mail.

I wanted to make sure that this was correct. All I have to do is toss my old sim card in my new iPhone 4 and plug it into my computer and I can set it up right?

I just want to make sure because there are no Apple stores within 800 miles of me...
harryhood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:19 PM   #2
iManny
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhood View Post
I have an iPhone 3G. I am going to back it up, take out the sim card and sell it, the night before I get my iPhone 4 in the mail.

I wanted to make sure that this was correct. All I have to do is toss my old sim card in my new iPhone 4 and plug it into my computer and I can set it up right?

I just want to make sure because there are no Apple stores within 800 miles of me...
Thats gonna be hard considering the iphone 4 uses a micro sim, i believe when you hook the new iphone to the itunes it will ask you if you want to restore your last iphone to the new one though.
iManny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:21 PM   #3
lorenwade
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iManny View Post
Thats gonna be hard considering the iphone 4 uses a micro sim, i believe when you hook the new iphone to the itunes it will ask you if you want to restore your last iphone to the new one though.
And to further this, iTunes will also activate your new phone with your current number. No swapping SIMs.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:23 PM   #4
nparmelee
macrumors 6502

And unless you really know the person you are selling your iPhone to, you probably should delete all the existing data before handing it over. Settings, General, Reset, Erase All Content and Settings.
nparmelee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Hellishness
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenwade View Post
And to further this, iTunes will also activate your new phone with your current number. No swapping SIMs.
Can I do this if I'm currently on T-Mobile and am switching to ATT with the iPhone 4? I really don't want to change my phone number...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone