Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

170222-ios4.jpg

Image from Post your Home screen thread

Today's release of iOS 4 marks a major upgrade to Apple's iPhone and iPod touch devices. High demand for the software update has caused a strain on Apple's servers resulting in slow downloads for many customers. For those who are able to get the software downloaded and installed, here are a few walkthroughs that go over the major features found in the new iOS.

- iLounge: Apple iOS 4.0
- ArsTechnica: iOS 4: what's new, notable, and what needs work
- Macworld: Exploring iOS 4's multimedia features
- TiPb: iOS4 Walkthrough
- Gizmodo: Hidden Secrets of iOS 4

From a casual user standpoint, the biggest features will include:

- Folders - With the explosion of the App Store, App management has been a major issue. The introduction of Folders allows users to simply drag and drop icons on top of each other to create a custom folder of Apps. Tapping on the folder brings up a display of all the enclosed icons.
- MultiTasking / Fast App Switching - Exiting an App will now place it into a suspended mode that allows you to return to it quickly... at least for those apps that support it. Meanwhile, Apps with more sophisticated needs such as Pandora Radio can continue to play steaming music after you've left the app. Double tapping on the home button gives you a display of most recent apps that you've used and also gives you quick access to the iPod/Music controls if you swipe right on the icon bar.

Note that Apple's Game Center is not yet live. While an early version was provided to developers, Apple does not plan to launch the social gaming service until later this year.

Article Link: iOS 4 Features: MultiTasking, Folders, and Much More

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
I hope all the reviews warn 3G and 2nd Gen iPod Touch users not to upgrade unless they absolutely need to. Performance is terrible.

mlansdell

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
App Store gone!

Photoon2010-06-21at2153.jpg

Any ideas!?

Happened when rearranging everything into folders after the ios 4 update.

It's a bit upsetting! Have tried restoring and it then made me lose all my apps off the phone, I guess it couldn't reinstall them without the App Store being present?

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Wallpapers? Revolutionary! I bet the other phone companies copy Apple on that feature.

trainboy1094

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
Chicagoland
My download finished quite quickly, but I have started the update and it is on the "Backing up iPhone" stage. It has been running for over 30 minutes and its only about 10 or 15 percent done. Is this normal?!?

foges

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
Anyone else having problems with apps crashing/not starting. Zinio for example will not start (nor will Tagesanzeiger, swiss newspaper app), very upsetting :(

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Does anyone know how to use the "crop" and "rotate" features in the photo album? I can't seem to find info on it anywhere, but it's listed as a new feature. K, thanks.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
1. I tried it on a 3G - it almost kills the phone. Performance is poor, everything is sluggish. We have another 3G that is jailbroken, so I have been enjoying these features for a long time now. In fact I've had more than this.

2. Wallpaper? In 2010? How cool is that?!

Sorry, I have to go - my other MBP crashed while restoring the 3G. This was the first and last time that I tried the first version of any Apple software. This stinks!

scu

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
MobileMe mail is not working. Apple just confirmed that with me on the phone after I called them. They are working to resolve it.

They told me to wait a couple of days. It works fine on the computer

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I was all excited. Then I installed it on my 3G and I was like "eh". The only thing I found useful so far is that I can place and remove things in the dock. It also made the phone feel more sluggish than it already was. That's pretty sad for a phone that's only 2 years old.

Siret

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
My download finished quite quickly, but I have started the update and it is on the "Backing up iPhone" stage. It has been running for over 30 minutes and its only about 10 or 15 percent done. Is this normal?!?

I had the same experience. The download took about 15 minutes but the backup was so slow I had to stop it because I had to go to the airport to catch a flight. Now I can't play with the new OS while on the road.

I have a 3G phone for only 3 more days ( I hope) so the speed issue doesn't bother me.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
maybe i'm showing my age here... but i've never seen a background image on the home page that looks better than just the black screen.

every background i've seen looks terrible, and only makes it way harder to see the icons.

i know people have been clamoring for background images... i just think they all suck. is it just me?

topher

macrumors member
May 1, 2004
Podcast Playlist

Hello all,

I'm curious whether this resolves the problems with smart playlists comprised solely of podcasts, not syncing to an ipod touch. I'm also interested in whether "shuffle albums" has appeared.

alakazzam

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
MA
Finally got it! Took a while but, we're all systems go! :) Now to make folders and remake folders and remake them. Then forget which apps I put into which folders... ohhh the insanity!

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
cellular data off, just what i needed when using my phone abroad.

this feature will safe me good money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.