Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milenkod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Dublin, CA
I recall that the older 1st gen iPhones were able to be used as an iPod Touch when the 3G came out and owerers were upgrading. What about the 3GS? Can that be used as an iPod Touch without a SIM or service?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Just remove the sim card and see. It will complain about no simm card when booted up, but if you say ok, it then should be fine for all non calling services.

w7ox

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2006
I assume so. But why "no SIM"? Since the SIM cannot be used in an iPhone 4 it should be left in the 3GS, unless you sell it.

Phil

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
Yes you can use it without a SIM. I palm to do the same. However, I plan to use my iPad SIM in the 3GS so I can get 3G data too. I tested it yesterday and it worked. I also have tethering turned on (not jailbroken) so I can use it with my Macbook. The bad part is I can not upgrade to iOS4 unless I want to lose unlimited tethering. :(

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Yes you can use it without a SIM. I palm to do the same. However, I plan to use my iPad SIM in the 3GS so I can get 3G data too. I tested it yesterday and it worked. I also have tethering turned on (not jailbroken) so I can use it with my Macbook. The bad part is I can not upgrade to iOS4 unless I want to lose unlimited tethering. :(

How did you put your iPad SIM into your 3GS? If I'm remembering correctly, the iPad uses microSIM whereas the 3GS uses the standard size.

Are you using a simple plastic converter, or some other form of magic?

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
How did you put your iPad SIM into your 3GS? If I'm remembering correctly, the iPad uses microSIM whereas the 3GS uses the standard size.

Are you using a simple plastic converter, or some other form of magic?

I cut an old SIM and taped it together. I had to change the APN on iPhone to "broadband".

milenkod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Dublin, CA
I assume so. But why "no SIM"? Since the SIM cannot be used in an iPhone 4 it should be left in the 3GS, unless you sell it.

Phil
My 1st gen iPod Touch battery is just about dead and I want to replace it with a newer iPod. I figured that with so many people upgrading to iPhone4 there ought ot be a glutt of 3GS' on eBay/craigslist...and i'll get a camera as a bonus. Plus the 3GS will run iOS4/multitasking since the processor is more powerful than the iPod and then there are apps that use the camera...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.