Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Hey, my class was talking yesterday about how Micro$lut takes over months to come out with security updates when it finds holds in its OS, how long before Mac patches the holes it has in the system?

macdaddy23

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2004
Earth
Mac is awesome about this. When there's a bug or needs any update of any kind you download it from you computer and not the site (unless you want to) we are up to 10.3.5 and 10.3.6 is coming soon. so that's 5 updates (10.3.1 being the released one) so they are always making changes. Not only do they work on the next OS X (Tiger 10.4 ) but they have a team still working on panther!

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
ok, but I mean how long after they find out about the bug do they actually make a patch for users and release it, or do they only when its a .x+1 update?

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
slooksterPSV said:
ok, but I mean how long after they find out about the bug do they actually make a patch for users and release it, or do they only when its a .x+1 update?

There are security updates. Now, how long do these take? This depends. We had updates that came out a few days after the hole, but I think there was one hole that needed weeks to be fixed IIRC.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Security Updates- not too often. Whenever they a hole is found, it is patched within at the most two weeks methinks.

System Updates: These are the 10.3.x ones...those come out every few months, making the computer a little bit more optimized and fixing some bug they found. General work.

Huge Freakin Updates: These are the 10.x. Every year or so, but that will slow after Tiger.

Really crazy huge freakin massive blow-head-off updates: These are the 8, 9, 10, etc, updates. Count on one every 5-9 years. Ish.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Ok, thank you you guys that answered what I wanted to know. Where as Microsoft can take up to 8 months just to fix a hole. Now the one thing the person said about going from 8 to 9 to 10 for huge security updates, I hope you know that is totally false. 9 to 10 was a transition to a brand new OS. 10 is when Apple got it right. 9 looks like 8 which looks like 8.1 which looks like 7 which looks like all of the rest below it. Just updates on what you could do with the OS.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
actually os 8 introduced a few visual improvements over sys 7, like 2d icons lol, vs erm, 1d? and the ability to apply themes also. :rolleyes:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
slooksterPSV said:
10 is when Apple got it right. 9 looks like 8 which looks like 8.1 which looks like 7 which looks like all of the rest below it. Just updates on what you could do with the OS.

Actually I'd say 10.2 is about when Apple really got it right. :D But you're right, 10 was completely new - a fair number of people don't seem to really grok that OS X has less in common with OS 9 than it does with, say, Linux.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
slooksterPSV said:
Ok, thank you you guys that answered what I wanted to know. Where as Microsoft can take up to 8 months just to fix a hole. Now the one thing the person said about going from 8 to 9 to 10 for huge security updates, I hope you know that is totally false. 9 to 10 was a transition to a brand new OS. 10 is when Apple got it right. 9 looks like 8 which looks like 8.1 which looks like 7 which looks like all of the rest below it. Just updates on what you could do with the OS.

Sorry if I got you confused there...I meant that as a major update, not as a security update. :D

And I agree, 10.2 is when Apple nailed it down, or 8.6. Depends on what you look at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.