Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:33 PM   #1
ShinjiHiko
macrumors newbie

3G won't sync after iOS4 update

I am running the latest version of iTunes in Windows XP. My iPhone 3G will not completely sync anymore since I updated it to iOS4. It starts to sync and then in iTunes it disappears. On the phone it says "Sync in Progress" but nothing is happening.

I reinstalled iTunes, I cleared my phone, but the problem just doesn't seem to want to go away. Any suggestions? Thanks.
ShinjiHiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:01 AM   #2
machk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinjiHiko View Post
I am running the latest version of iTunes in Windows XP. My iPhone 3G will not completely sync anymore...
I'm having the same problem as yours, it just doesn't move..........
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:41 AM   #3
harrietg
macrumors newbie

problem syncing 3G/iOS4 with Mobile Me

I'm having a similar problem. I can't seems to sync correctly with MobileMe--I've tried rebooting, removing and then restoring my MobileMe account, resetting sync prefs, and so forth, but I still can't get my Safari bookmarks to sync at all. Also,m iCal seems to synch only when I do it manually with my computer--not when I make a change and wait for MobileMe to sync. Address Book did seems to sync correctly, however.
harrietg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:43 AM   #4
ShinjiHiko
macrumors newbie

I guess I am not the only one then. It syncs like one or two items then iTunes drops it with no error message. Very frustrating.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Snaz
macrumors newbie

I too am having this issue, it gives me an error window non stop.
The typical error window you see that says "itunes could not locate these songs: (drop down menu of songs here)"

And it only lists two or 3 songs at a time, telling me that they can't be synced. Going to try a few things and I'll let you know if anything positive happens.

EDIT TO ADD:
It seems like just shutting down itunes, disconnecting the iPhone, and then opening it again seemed to fix the problem. My phone is now syncing all the songs. Time will tell.
Snaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:25 PM   #6
ShinjiHiko
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
EDIT TO ADD:
It seems like just shutting down itunes, disconnecting the iPhone, and then opening it again seemed to fix the problem. My phone is now syncing all the songs. Time will tell.
Thanks that worked for now
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:22 PM   #7
techcommdood
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Same issue: can't sync

iPhone 3G running iOS4
Vista machine
iTunes v. 9.2.0.61

I get a series of errors when syncing my phone. Here they are. Yes, these all pop up on a single sync attempt.

Error 1:
"iTunes could not back up the iPhone "[name of phone]" because the iPhone disconnected."
(It's still connected and iPhone still shows "Sync in Progress" and "slide to cancel".)

Error 2:
"The iPhone "[name of phone]" cannot be synced. An error occurred while writing to the device."
(iPhone still says "Sync in Progress" and "slide to cancel".)

Error 3:
"Attempting to copy to the disk "[name of phone]" failed. The device timed out."

Error 4:
iTunes could not copy "[name of song]" to the iPhone "[name of phone]" because an unknown error occurred (0xE800400C)."

Error 5:

"The iPhone "[name of phone]" cannot be synced. An error occurred while writing to the device."

At this point the sync notification in the Devices list in iTunes stops, but the iPhone is still listed as an attached device. No more errors occur because iTunes stopped syncing, but the iPhone still says "Sync in Progress" and "slide to cancel".

This is extremely frustrating and I can't "fix" the issue by getting an iPhone 4, nor should I have to. Is there a proper channel for reporting this directly to Apple?
techcommdood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 06:59 PM   #8
machpost
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcommdood View Post
iPhone 3G running iOS4
Vista machine
iTunes v. 9.2.0.61

I get a series of errors when syncing my phone. Here they are. Yes, these all pop up on a single sync attempt.

Error 1:
"iTunes could not back up the iPhone "[name of phone]" because the iPhone disconnected."
(It's still connected and iPhone still shows "Sync in Progress" and "slide to cancel".)

Error 2:

Error 3:
"Attempting to copy to the disk "[name of phone]" failed. The device timed out."

Error 4:
iTunes could not copy "[name of song]" to the iPhone "[name of phone]" because an unknown error occurred (0xE800400C)."

Error 5:

At this point the sync notification in the Devices list in iTunes stops, but the iPhone is still listed as an attached device. No more errors occur because iTunes stopped syncing, but the iPhone still says "Sync in Progress" and "slide to cancel".

This is extremely frustrating and I can't "fix" the issue by getting an iPhone 4, nor should I have to. Is there a proper channel for reporting this directly to Apple?
Same problems for me under Windows 7 x64. It is now impossible to copy any music to my iPhone 3GS and I am livid
machpost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Jesssa420
macrumors newbie

Error 3:

This is the same problem that I'm having when syncing movies or music. I can sync everything else. Has anyone figured it out yet? I'm super miffed!
Jesssa420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:43 PM   #10
vtcc93
macrumors newbie

I will join the fun.

I have the same issue.

Win 7x64

Updated to iTunes 9.2, then got the upgrade to iOS 4. Did it on two different iPhones (3GS's) and now both wont sync. I have tried a lot of stuff, and the latest is telling it to remove all the songs (17GB) and then re-add. It looks like it is trying to put them back on, so I don't know.

Will tell everyone if it works on my phone before I break the wifes.

VT
vtcc93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 07:02 PM   #11
vtcc93
macrumors newbie

Angry

It deleted all my music, and then put the files back on, but still is stuck in a Sync loop (not completing.) don't know what to do about it.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 08:13 PM   #12
vtcc93
macrumors newbie

Found a post on the Apple Forums. It actually worked for both phones. Go into your photos tab while syncing. instead of selecting the photos folder, select a subfolder underneath. In my case, I have it down to one folder "2010" hope this helps all.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:11 PM   #13
techcommdood
macrumors newbie

mystery success

I rebooted both the PC and the iPhone and connected the iPhone without iTunes open. The phone was recognized, iTunes opened on its own, and I got a complete sync. I have successfully been able to sync ever since. No rhyme, reason, or logic, but I'm good now. YMMV, so it seems.
techcommdood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:04 PM   #14
rdandan
macrumors newbie

Same same

Wellm, here I am having the same issues. 3GS, ios 4, with Mac. latest itunes for sure.
As mentioned previously, reconnecting the phone might help, but you have to try it several time
rdandan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:44 PM   #15
machpost
macrumors regular

I'm still having the same problems, and I'm sorry to report that iTunes 9.2.1 doesn't do a thing to solve them I'm beyond frustrated.
machpost is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting