Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 23, 2004, 05:54 AM   #1
Solafaa
macrumors 6502a

PC and a Mac on same monitor, is it possible?

Hello i have a G5 mac and i a PC on the same desk, i would like to have both of them running on the same monitor (new apple 23") where i could switch between the 2. How can i do this?

If there is no way can someone please give me a better idea then have 2 monitors and 2 desktops, thanks.

p.s. I know the mac are 10x better and i agree but i need a PC aswell (gaming).
Solafaa is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2004, 06:43 AM   #2
yellow

Use a KVM. There are bajillions for sale and findable via Google/Froogle. You'll want to shoot for a DVI KVM (to support your monitor) and start using USB on your PC if you want to only use 1 keyboard and mouse.
yellow is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2004, 02:07 PM   #3
Westside guy
macrumors 601

Might need a new video card for the PC, too - does the current one support DVI?

Edit: I agree that USB keyboard and mouse is a good idea, but I've used a PS/2 to USB adapter with my older KVM so I could switch between my Linux box and my Powerbook. At work I've got both hooked to a 21" CRT and one of those MS split ergonomic keyboards.

Last edited by Westside guy; Oct 23, 2004 at 02:11 PM.
Westside guy is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2004, 02:12 PM   #4
yellow

Yes, good call on the new cideo card that supports DVI.
yellow is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2004, 02:27 PM   #5
Dr. Dastardly
macrumors 65816

The only problem is if you get a kvm switch it will cripple your max resolution output for your monitor. And the ones that don't are so expensive that your almost better off buying a new monitor. I havn't shopped around for them in a while so maybe someone might know one that I don't that has the resolution of a 23" screen and fairly affordable. I know I would be interested in hearing about it.
Dr. Dastardly is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers