Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:19 AM   #1
suzanne5ive
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Best charger/backup batteries for iPhone 4

Looking for a charger/battery backup for my new iPhone 4. Its gotta be light-weight, compact, and of course be able to charge the phone at a decent speed and with enough power to make it through the day. I'm flexible on pricing. If its worth the money, I'll buy it. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thx. I've seen ones made by Griffin, Kensington, Richard Solo. But i still have no idea which one would be the best.
suzanne5ive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:58 AM   #2
Mystikal
macrumors 68020
 
Mystikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Send a message via AIM to Mystikal
Heres what I just bought. It will be here tomorrow!

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Batter.../dp/B001BF12QO
Mystikal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:05 AM   #3
Anastacio
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denmark
What about this portable charger, is it any good, will it work with iPhone 4?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-1900...7204667&sr=8-1
__________________
Owning Apple TV 2 (Dec 11') | iPhone 5 [32GB] (Sep 12') | iPod Shuffle (Feb 13')
2014: iPhone 6 | iWatch
Anastacio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Mystikal
macrumors 68020
 
Mystikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Send a message via AIM to Mystikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
What about this portable charger, is it any good, will it work with iPhone 4?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-1900...7204667&sr=8-1
I had one like that from Monoprice (which most people love). I had 2 and they both didnt charge my 3G so thats why I bought one with a USB port on it.

Last edited by Mystikal; Jun 22, 2010 at 03:50 PM.
Mystikal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Mystikal
macrumors 68020
 
Mystikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Send a message via AIM to Mystikal
My satechi one came. Its beautiful. It comes with a charging wire (not pictured).




Mystikal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601
 
Eddyisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
My satechi one came. Its beautiful. It comes with a charging wire (not pictured).
/drool

The elite choice in emergency charging
__________________
iCloud Logo Courtesy of : JiP
Eddyisgreat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:56 PM   #7
danpass
macrumors 68020
 
danpass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, FL
I have the Sanyo Eneloop Mobile Booster. 5000mAh of USB powering goodness.

Model: KBC-L2S

danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601
 
Eddyisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
I have the Sanyo Eneloop Mobile Booster. 5000mAh of USB powering goodness.

Model: KBC-L2S

Can I ask where you saw this @? I can't find any reputable vendors online.
__________________
iCloud Logo Courtesy of : JiP
Eddyisgreat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:10 PM   #9
danpass
macrumors 68020
 
danpass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyisgreat View Post
Can I ask where you saw this @? I can't find any reputable vendors online.
I bought it from Costco a while back

I learned later that the star in the upper right signifies "the last shipment" or something like that. I was in Costco about two weeks ago and didn't see it (I don't go often).


danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:14 PM   #10
danpass
macrumors 68020
 
danpass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, FL
these may be today's winners though when it comes to portable power in a form factor like that Eneloop.

danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:35 PM   #11
Mystikal
macrumors 68020
 
Mystikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Send a message via AIM to Mystikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyisgreat View Post
/drool

The elite choice in emergency charging
Yeah seriously. I opened this thing up and my jaw dropped. It even has a freaking drawstring pouch. Now thats sick.
Mystikal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:56 PM   #12
caranddriver
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I found an eBay seller (in the US - Georgia) selling knockoff Apple tiny block AC adapters for $3.99 shipped with a cable.

I got one yesterday and both work fine. Surprisingly decent build quality for knockoffs.

I ordered two of the Monoprice 1900m backups. We'll see how they work.
caranddriver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:24 PM   #13
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601
 
Eddyisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
I bought it from Costco a while back

I learned later that the star in the upper right signifies "the last shipment" or something like that. I was in Costco about two weeks ago and didn't see it (I don't go often).
must be discontinued then. I remember a few months back when costco had the Eneloop battery pack (like 12 AA/AAA cells) + a charger + battery adapters for around 19 bucks, at a time when the four pack of AA went for +10 bucks. Legendary when bundled with the BC-700 charger
__________________
iCloud Logo Courtesy of : JiP
Eddyisgreat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:56 PM   #14
danpass
macrumors 68020
 
danpass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyisgreat;
must be discontinued then. I remember a few months back when costco had the Eneloop battery pack (like 12 AA/AAA cells) + a charger + battery adapters for around 19 bucks, at a time when the four pack of AA went for +10 bucks. Legendary when bundled with the BC-700 charger
I bought that as well
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:29 PM   #15
Mystikal
macrumors 68020
 
Mystikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Send a message via AIM to Mystikal
Im going to be using my satechi on Wednesday night. I hope it holds up...
Mystikal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:35 PM   #16
karthwyne
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
I have one of these (for 2 years) and it works well. It will give a bit over a full charge to my 3G. I however got it for $25, don't know when the prices jumped.

APC UPB10

http://www.amazon.com/APC-UPB10-Univ.../dp/B000GBN42E
karthwyne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:47 PM   #17
suzanne5ive
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
My satechi one came. Its beautiful. It comes with a charging wire (not pictured).

wow very nice. how do u like it so far? i'm still shopping around for one.

Last edited by suzanne5ive; Jun 22, 2010 at 11:57 PM.
suzanne5ive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:21 AM   #18
LittleRedBird
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne5ive View Post
wow very nice. how do u like it so far? i'm still shopping around for one.
Looks sleek for the amount of power it supplies! How is it working out for you?
LittleRedBird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:37 AM   #19
wattsja
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I have this one:

http://www.newtrent.com/IMP500-3G-3G...-p/imp500p.htm

Which is strong enough to charge more than just my phone. I did notice they have 2 new models:

http://www.newtrent.com/IMP880P-IPho...-p/imp880p.htm
http://www.newtrent.com/IMP880-IPhon...y-p/imp880.htm

that have even MORE power then the one I already have. They have fast shipping and the device works as expected.
wattsja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:59 AM   #20
suzanne5ive
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedBird View Post
Looks sleek for the amount of power it supplies! How is it working out for you?
I actually think I found something. its by Mophie. the Juice Pack Reserve. it hasnt been out for very long. i've seen great reviews for the Mophie Juice Pack and Juice Pack Air cases for 3G/GS. it even comes with a carabiner keychain. havent gotten to fully test it yet, but so far i'm liking it. it charges quickly, just havent timed it, or checked to c how much % wise, that it charges up the phone. i'll post comments on it when i finally do.

Heres the link for it:

http://www.mophie.com/product-p/1135_jpu-reserve.htm
suzanne5ive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:19 PM   #21
LittleRedBird
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne5ive View Post
I actually think I found something. its by Mophie. the Juice Pack Reserve. it hasnt been out for very long. i've seen great reviews for the Mophie Juice Pack and Juice Pack Air cases for 3G/GS. it even comes with a carabiner keychain. havent gotten to fully test it yet, but so far i'm liking it. it charges quickly, just havent timed it, or checked to c how much % wise, that it charges up the phone. i'll post comments on it when i finally do.

Heres the link for it:

http://www.mophie.com/product-p/1135_jpu-reserve.htm
Love the overall portability of this product, especially the retractable connector pins! Thanks for the link. I'm still wrestling with the price, having seen some 1900 mAh chargers on Amazon for $15-$20. However, you get what you pay for and the reviews on those aren't all good. I've heard good things about Mophie's products, though. Decisions!

Thought I'd share some coupon codes I found online for Mophie. Hopefully I'm getting them to you before you placed your order!

craze10 for 10% off purchases >$79.95
craze05 for 5% off any purchase
LittleRedBird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:46 AM   #22
suzanne5ive
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedBird View Post
Love the overall portability of this product, especially the retractable connector pins! Thanks for the link. I'm still wrestling with the price, having seen some 1900 mAh chargers on Amazon for $15-$20. However, you get what you pay for and the reviews on those aren't all good. I've heard good things about Mophie's products, though. Decisions!

Thought I'd share some coupon codes I found online for Mophie. Hopefully I'm getting them to you before you placed your order!

craze10 for 10% off purchases >$79.95
craze05 for 5% off any purchase
I actually went into an Apple store looking for just backup batteries in general, and they had this Mophie. Thx though.
suzanne5ive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:52 AM   #23
suzanne5ive
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Thumbs up Update

UPDATE

I've tested the Mophie Juice Pack Reserve and have found these results:

Charging my iPhone 4 took about 30 mins to complete. Giving the phone a 40% power boost.

Recharging the Mophie from completely drained to full took 1.5-2 hrs to complete.

I hope this helps anyone looking for a backup battery for their iPhone. I'm gonna stick with this one for now.
suzanne5ive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:21 PM   #24
LittleRedBird
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne5ive View Post
UPDATE

I've tested the Mophie Juice Pack Reserve and have found these results:

Charging my iPhone 4 took about 30 mins to complete. Giving the phone a 40% power boost.

Recharging the Mophie from completely drained to full took 1.5-2 hrs to complete.

I hope this helps anyone looking for a backup battery for their iPhone. I'm gonna stick with this one for now.
I got one, too. It does give it a quick boost. However, both the Mophie and iPhone get really really hot. Does this happen to you? I'm waiting for a response from customer service...maybe I just got a dud.
LittleRedBird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:01 AM   #25
netteen
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
u2o

for iphone and safety I will only get the ones with Apple approved.
also check this
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss..._1.0_665&fsc=2
netteen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Early 2008 MBP Charging Issue (3 batteries + new 85w Mag Charger)--questions bds120 MacBook Pro 2 Dec 2, 2013 09:52 PM
apple battery charger and batteries jetjaguar Mac Peripherals 2 Sep 17, 2013 01:29 AM
Are there any decent iPhone chargers/backup batteries? TSX iPhone Accessories 13 Sep 10, 2013 04:31 AM
Backup iPhone 5 charger that runs on batteries? sakakura10 iPhone Accessories 0 Mar 3, 2013 09:42 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC