Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 23, 2004, 05:14 PM   #1
jxyama
macrumors 68040

help wanted: flaky partitioned HD

i just got a brand new LaCie external FW HD and it's been acting flaky every since i got it. i wanted to partition it into two, and when i do that using disk utility, many times, one of the two volumes won't mount. instead, i just see a disk ID (i.e. disk1s3) and the voume doesn't mount when the drive is powered up.

in the case it mounts, it also automatically dismounts when i run disk utility to verify the disk...

before someone suggests me to purchase a disk warrior or something (this is a brand new HD, i'm not paying $80 to buy a program to fix it...), does any one know what's going on? this is the same HD i've had problem cloning on because during the process of cloning, there's input/output error on the ext. HD and cloning quits.
jxyama is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2004, 05:52 PM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

If it's any consolation, this very same thing happened with our Lacie Big Disk Extreme (320gb FW 800) which, like yours, was partitioned into 2 partitions...

One of the partitions was stupidly unmounted (by me) and nothing I could do with Disk Utility or rebooting could get the damn thing back.

Fortunately, it was blank but I had to back up the other partition onto a Mac and reformat & repartition the drive.

No probs since but I wasn't happy about this and am keeping a beady eye on it. Maybe FW & partitioning just don't go with Lacie HDs... maybe it's a Panther thing...

If anybody has any great ideas, I'll also be keen to know what they are just in case it happens again.
Blue Velvet is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers