Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Where is a good place to buy a new graphics card for my G4 tower. I was thinking of the NVIDIA 128MB GEFORCE 4 TITANIUM.

I live in Australia and I am having trouble finding online stores that sell graphics cards for macs. Anyone have some links so I can check out the prices?

aussie_geek

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Why nVidia?

aussie_geek said:
Where is a good place to buy a new graphics card for my G4 tower. I was thinking of the NVIDIA 128MB GEFORCE 4 TITANIUM.

I live in Australia and I am having trouble finding online stores that sell graphics cards for macs. Anyone have some links so I can check out the prices?

aussie_geek

Especially in light of the fact that you're having a hard time finding an nVidia card locally, is all the more reason to go ATI.

A few of the main reasons that I prefer ATI, and yes, I did once have an nVidia card, hence my preference for ATI.

1) They make the whole card, unlike nVidia who only make the GPU.

2) Better customer support and the drivers are updated more frequently.

3) While the frame rates on some nVidia cards might be slightly better than a comparably priced ATI one, my experience has been that 99% of the time the ATI card produces better 2D pics - i.e. more realistic color reproduction and sharper images.

Go ATI, you won't be sorry.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
absolut_mac said:
Especially in light of the fact that you're having a hard time finding an nVidia card locally, is all the more reason to go ATI.

A few of the main reasons that I prefer ATI, and yes, I did once have an nVidia card, hence my preference for ATI.

1) They make the whole card, unlike nVidia who only make the GPU.

2) Better customer support and the drivers are updated more frequently.

3) While the frame rates on some nVidia cards might be slightly better than a comparably priced ATI one, my experience has been that 99% of the time the ATI card produces better 2D pics - i.e. more realistic color reproduction and sharper images.

Go ATI, you won't be sorry.

You can also buy ATI cards direct without the crappy Apple markup.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Don't pay much for a GF4 ti, its outdated technology.
ATI Radeon 9800 is much faster.

GF4 ti isn't supported by core image/core video in OSX Tiger.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I've seen a couple of mac Geforce 4 Ti's go on ebay for around £80-100 ($150-$180 USD). Which is a lot really for such an old card. It is however the fastest video card for the powermac G4s that has an ADC port. Apple changed the spec/position of the ADC connector on the G5's so G5 ADC cards don't fit the G4s. Also most G5 cards are 8x AGP cards and are unsupported by the G4's AGP slot.

The 9800 Pro is a 2x/4x AGP card and works on both the G4 and G5 - It has DVI/VGA outputs and gets it's additional power via a molex connector which connects to a harddrive powersupply via a Y-cable. A plus is that it will work on a powermac G5 should you upgrade...

Note this card doesn't have an ADC port - if you're using a DVI or VGA monitor this isn't a problem. If you're using an old Apple monitor you need a DVI-ADC adaptor which is another $99. You may find it cheaper on ebay.

The 9800 Pro is currently $349 (ouch) in the US but my guess is that it will drop in price when ATI release the X800. I won't buy one until that happens.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
caveman_uk said:
I've seen a couple of mac Geforce 4 Ti's go on ebay for around £80-100 ($150-$180 USD). Which is a lot really for such an old card. It is however the fastest video card for the powermac G4s that has an ADC port. Apple changed the spec/position of the ADC connector on the G5's so G5 ADC cards don't fit the G4s. Also most G5 cards are 8x AGP cards and are unsupported by the G4's AGP slot.

The 9800 Pro is a 2x/4x AGP card and works on both the G4 and G5 - It has DVI/VGA outputs and gets it's additional power via a molex connector which connects to a harddrive powersupply via a Y-cable. A plus is that it will work on a powermac G5 should you upgrade...

Note this card doesn't have an ADC port - if you're using a DVI or VGA monitor this isn't a problem. If you're using an old Apple monitor you need a DVI-ADC adaptor which is another $99. You may find it cheaper on ebay.

The 9800 Pro is currently $349 (ouch) in the US but my guess is that it will drop in price when ATI release the X800. I won't buy one until that happens.

the 9700 was the fastest card with adc, but it only works with mdd g4's

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
aussie,
what gfx card is in you tower right now?
If it's a radeon 9000 the GF4ti isn't that much faster.

If you have a gf4mx i can be worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.