Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Ok i got my new micro-sim from O2 and want to setup my new sim card. I want to know how do i take the contacts stored on my sim and put them onto my new sim card so that i can still use my new micro-sim with an adapter in other phones and still have my contacts with me!?

I know itunes will prob sync contacts to my new iPhone 4 but want to have them on my sim. Just afraid that when i activate micro-sim and the other one is dead then i will lose all my sim saved numbers.

Basically i want all my numbers to be on my new sim card so that when i go out i can take my card out of my iPhone and into my spaer w800i phone and still have all my contacts phone numbers rather than a blank sim..please help as i'm sure others may want to know the same.

iMoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Do a backup to iTunes then restore to new phone.

Yeah but doesn't this just put the contacts on the new phone only?
I want the numbers to also be on my sim so that i can put my sim in any mobile and it will come up with all my numbers!?

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Yeah but doesn't this just put the contacts on the new phone only?
I want the numbers to also be on my sim so that i can put my sim in any mobile and it will come up with all my numbers!?

Save the contacts onto the phone itself and then from your phone onto the SIM. I know you can do that with a 3GS, so I don't see why you can't with the MicroSIM. Although it may be possible you can't.

iMoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Save the contacts onto the phone itself and then from your phone onto the SIM. I know you can do that with a 3GS, so I don't see why you can't with the MicroSIM. Although it may be possible you can't.

I looked like an option like that in the settings but couldn't find one. I googled it and loads with same problem.

I'm now putting my sim card into my sony Errickson and going to copy numbers to phone and then when my new sim card is activated, put it in my sony erikson and copy them over to new sim card. Though some of the newer numbers will be lost that have been added with iPhone, it may preserve some for my nihts out.

I smell Apple did this so that we buy Apple mobile me.

Macopotamus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Ok i got my new micro-sim from O2 and want to setup my new sim card. I want to know how do i take the contacts stored on my sim and put them onto my new sim card so that i can still use my new micro-sim with an adapter in other phones and still have my contacts with me!?

I know itunes will prob sync contacts to my new iPhone 4 but want to have them on my sim. Just afraid that when i activate micro-sim and the other one is dead then i will lose all my sim saved numbers.

Basically i want all my numbers to be on my new sim card so that when i go out i can take my card out of my iPhone and into my spaer w800i phone and still have all my contacts phone numbers rather than a blank sim..please help as i'm sure others may want to know the same.

I am also curious about this, I just want to transfer phone numbers and not everything else on the old iPhone

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK

Hi

How did you get your micro sim? Were you a "lucky" one chosen by O2 and it just arrived in the post?

Thanks

- D

iMoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Hi

How did you get your micro sim? Were you a "lucky" one chosen by O2 and it just arrived in the post?

Thanks

- D

Hi there sorry for late reply. I got my sim as i sent my mum down to the O2 shop with a printout of my recipt saying that i had bought a sim free iPhone. They took my full name and address and gave my mum a envelope with the full sized sim card with the micro sim in the centre...No sim adapter though to make bigger again so will have to get one of these seperate.

iMoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
I am also curious about this, I just want to transfer phone numbers and not everything else on the old iPhone

Will post tommorrow how i did it as i've almost done it using my old phone and pc suite. Will explain how i did it though if i pull it off. Been some messing around but think i may have solved it.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Some bad info here.

You can NOT save contacts to the iPhone sim, period.

You can put a non-iPhone sim into the previous iPhones and import contacts, but for the 4, you'll need to sync your non-iPhone to either Outlook or Address Book somehow to get your contacts to the iPhone (or via online).

iMoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Some bad info here.

You can NOT save contacts to the iPhone sim, period.

You can put a non-iPhone sim into the previous iPhones and import contacts, but for the 4, you'll need to sync your non-iPhone to either Outlook or Address Book somehow to get your contacts to the iPhone (or via online).

I have synced my contacts to microsoft contacts from itunes.
Put old iPhone sim card into Sony Erikson (SE) phone and merged everything in the SE memory contacts also into windows contacts.
Then using SE software have synced all contacts from windows to my SE phone.
Then saved all contacts on SE phone to Sim card
So now i have all contacts from both iPhone and SE phone on my old sim card.
Double chacked this by putting sim back into iphone, going into contacts/mail settings and pressing on import from sim, then resynced everything to windows to make sure everything is on this sim card.

Now what i hope to do is once O2 have cut service to my old sim and activate my new micro-sim(waiting for this to happen now, says could take up to 24hours) is put this in iPhone to make sure card works.
Then i will put it into SE phone and import all contacts onto the new sim.
Hopefully then i will have ALL my numbers back onto my new iPhone sim.

Unless of course they have totally changed the way sims work in last 2 years then yeah maybe won't work. Will post my findings tommorrow and see if i can explain my method a bit better if it does work and this is hard to follow, just getting tired now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.