Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
well after waiting 2,5 months I finally got the $ 119,- DRO carbon case in today, and thought to do a review on it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPnNIYZxiJg

to get to the point fairly quickly, It was a major disappointment !
at first glance looks it looks smooth and clean, but a close examination reveals a hurriedly and badly finished product.

the outside was already scratched due to the bad packaging, as it was on the bottom of the box with some filler paper on top.

0083441.jpeg

the Velcro strap was cut by a 7 year old and not straight at all, they could at least have stitched the end a bit.

0178641.jpeg

and the inner lining was just horrible, glued only on the edge, with the rest on the inside dangling loose.
no straight edge, and looks glued in crooked.
white glue vapor on the edges, and still the lining is already coming loose easily.

0430811.jpeg

and the fitting of the iPad is so tight I could hardly get it out the first time I put it in, I was scared to damage the ipad trying to take it out, I had to squeeze the ipad so hard, to get a grip, I was afraid to break the glass.
and the case bulges outward because of the bad fit, and the lump on the inside where the Velcro is fitted does not help either.

http://hooverae.com/upload/files/220610/0736442.jpeg

My final verdict is DO NOT BUY !!
it is not worth the $ 119,- and maybe at half that price it might be worth it if the fit was better.

and a few days ago I found this site, witch clearly shows you can buy the cheap clean case from this Chinese site,
DRO probably buys these in bulk and add the hefty price tag with some shoddy inner lining.

http://china-carbonfiber.en.made-in...orc/China-iPad-Case-Made-by-Carbon-Fiber.html

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Sorry man. Thanks for taking one for the team. I wanted this case but it looks nowhere close to being worth $100. I wouldn't even pay $50 now that I've seen it.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
hahahahaha Thats a piece of carbon sh*t. looks like it fell off the Challenger

I hope you get your paper back

Fanatik7

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
I like how you made your video look like their promo video from their homepage. It does look terrible. With that money you could get a vaja case.

droconcepts

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Hi Absrnd,

I have taken a look at the case pictures and videos. Let me start by apologizing. I do know we ran into some contract issues with our liner company and the first two batches of cases the liners were hand cut, but I do agree that is not how the liner should look. I also noticed in your video and image http://hooverae.com/upload/files/220610/0736442.jpeg the iPad in actually install upside down for how the case was actually designed. The glass side of the iPad should face the "hook" velcro square and the back of the iPad should face the side with the velcro strap. This is our fault for not better explaining, but if you look closely the case is designed with different radii on the "front" and "back" for this very reason. This should make the iPad much easier to install and remove. I just tried to install the iPad the way you did and am actually amazed you got it all the way in and out, it gets really tight.

I also apologize for the packaging issues, this is the first time we have had issues from a customer with our shipping house and I will certainly let them know.

I spoke with my manager and we would really like to get you a replacement. The replacement will have the standard dye cut liner (we just got the new liners in today, so very smooth straight edges on the neoprene and rounded corners).

We did initially look to having our iPad case products sourced outside the USA mainly in China with two companies. The "Ninehills Composite Company" was one of the locations we looked at but choose not to go with them. Despite them signing a nondisclosure agreement they took our design and are now producing it themselves. We have filed some legal actions to protect our design patents in the USA but cannot stop them form advertising or manufacturing the products outside the USA, needless to say we are quite upset about the situation.

Please let me know what else I can do to resolve this situation and we will get it taken care of quickly.

Ronald Westons
Customer Care
DRO Concepts
support@droconcepts.com

(This message was also emailed to you)

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Just looking at the Velcro strap I could already tell this is not worth the price they are asking for.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Wow! Sorry to see what they sent! That's really pathetic! Your video shows so many defects and poor workmanship! I hope you send it back and get your money back!

To be honest after seeing that case I would not give them $10 for it! One has to wonder what were they thinking, sending out a product so poorly done? :rolleyes:

FatApple02

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
you guys do realize you are paying for the fact that it is real carbon fiber. that being said: i don't think the foam liner looks properly done at all (many improvements could comehere). but after looking at the video and images: the carbon fiber work looks great. their website does say it is hand crafted to i would expect much better "crafting" of the liner.

at least it sounds like they are now aware of the problems and hopefully going to resolve them (per the post i missed to begin with)

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
you guys do realize you are paying for the fact that it is real carbon fiber. that being said

that was the reason I chose this case :), and some imperfections on the surface (the carbon weave) is acceptable, but not scratches on the surface of a new product.

I also noticed in your video and image http://hooverae.com/upload/files/220610/0736442.jpeg the iPad in actually install upside down for how the case was actually designed. The glass side of the iPad should face the "hook" velcro square and the back of the iPad should face the side with the velcro strap.

The iPad was not inserted the wrong way, there is only one way to get it in, the other way up is impossible to get it in,
I have a thin vinyl scratch protector on the back, maybe that makes it look the wrong side up.

I am glad you choose to respond here and on the Youtube vid, if we can resolve this and get me a better case I would be much happier !

JTori

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Not an isolated occurrence

I'm sorry to hear you had to pay for this poor experience and can assure you it is not an isolated case.

I purchased an iPhone 3GS case and was very disappointed with the quality. Sent them an e-mail and received a reply from Mary in customer service in much the same tone as the one posted here by DRO (i.e., the fault belongs to our suppliers). Returned the case on their RMA. After sending several followup e-mails I finally got a reply that my correspondences had gone into their spam file, that the situation had been corrected and my replacement case was shipped. Two e-mails and one month later, still no reply or replacement case.

DRO has a great concept .... for going out of business. And, they have a great business model: Collect money.

TuscanRider

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
DRO Concepts = GARBAGE

I also bought the iPhone 4 case, the clips broke and after I complained long enough they sent me a replacement called the Guardian.
The Guardian will never get scratched for one simple reason. It is TOO BIG for the phone and the phone slides around in the case so the case is back in its packing box and on the way to the garbage.

I have contacted DRO numerous times and now they ignore me. Of course there is no phone number. An $80 Carbon Fiber paper weight.

Reference the iPad case - can't say I am shocked that their quality is heading down hill and picking up speed

mooseknuckles

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
thread jack

Glen, I see you posting frequently about your DRO smartcover so I thought I would ask about the weight...you say it is a bit heavy, does the weight not support itself to allow it to fold in to a stand? How strong is the magnet that attaches to the side of the case, not the bezel magnets?

Thanks for the help, seriously considering purchasing one however I am a bit concerned if they would ever ship the piece out.

Cheers

songbird62

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
Shipping from droconcepts.....

Hi all,

Yeah I'm a little frustrated with the lack of contact after the 'yes we have your order and cash' email.
Placed my order on 09/11/11 with a estimated shipping of 24 to 48 hours, I thought even with shipping to the UK that still gives them just over 6 wks for it to arrive in time for part of hubbys Xmas, hmm now almost 4wks into that 'plenty time' thought, I aint too optimistic it will arrive in time, more so with the lack of any response to my now 3rd polite email, I wonder..... is polite maybe where I'm going wrong! :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed, but think in future I'll let my legs do the walking for my Xmas prezzies. or maybe should have stuck with an alternative Carbon Fibre product from my usual UK supplier Netcomposites
:D

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Glen, I see you posting frequently about your DRO smartcover so I thought I would ask about the weight...you say it is a bit heavy, does the weight not support itself to allow it to fold in to a stand? How strong is the magnet that attaches to the side of the case, not the bezel magnets?

Thanks for the help, seriously considering purchasing one however I am a bit concerned if they would ever ship the piece out.

Cheers

it's fine in all respects, just heavy overall when packing and such..mags hold fine and folds back just like smartcover - I really like it for a business meeting. For normal use, I'm a Zum and smartcover man...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.