Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Neverbepeace
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Can't Restore iPhone 3GS To 3.1.3

Cydia doesn't seem to work and I tried restoring and itunes is not leting me. I tried downloading the 3.1.3 file and it said its not compatible. I bought this phone yesterday. I'm running 7E18 5.12.01 I think. Any help or suggestions?

I'm trying to unlock by the way so I can use it for Tmobile.
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:04 AM   #2
pixelated
macrumors 6502a
 
pixelated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Was the phone previously JB or brand new?
When you opened Cydia did it say 'this device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: ...'?
What bootrom (old or new) do you have?

Apple forces 3Gs to check whether you are installing the most recent FW, and is now only allowing 4.0...the SHSH is an apple authentication signature saved on Cydia's servers which tricks iTunes into allowing you to restore to a previous OS. Read this for clarification
pixelated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Neverbepeace
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelated View Post
Was the phone previously JB or brand new?
When you opened Cydia did it say 'this device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: ...'?
What bootrom (old or new) do you have?

Apple forces 3Gs to check whether you are installing the most recent FW, and is now only allowing 4.0...the SHSH is an apple authentication signature saved on Cydia's servers which tricks iTunes into allowing you to restore to a previous OS. Read this for clarification
The phone was previously JB by the person I bought the device from. It's not new. It was bought in Jan of 2010. I am running the newest bootrom 359.3.2 I believe. Cydia opens for literally 2 seconds and closes down
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:56 AM   #4
pixelated
macrumors 6502a
 
pixelated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverbepeace View Post
The phone was previously JB by the person I bought the device from. It's not new. It was bought in Jan of 2010. I am running the newest bootrom 359.3.2 I believe. Cydia opens for literally 2 seconds and closes down
well hopefully the previous owner chose to save his SHSH...by that date you might only have 3.1.3 SHSH on file.
It's worth editing your hosts file and trying a shift/alt restore to 3.1.3.
pixelated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Neverbepeace
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelated View Post
well hopefully the previous owner chose to save his SHSH...by that date you might only have 3.1.3 SHSH on file.
It's worth editing your hosts file and trying a shift/alt restore to 3.1.3.

Im not on Ios4. I'm still on 3.1.3 and just want to restore. I'm guessing it works the same way? I don't think there are any shsh's. The guy I bought the phone from paid another person to JB it for him. Chances are, he didn't do any shsh correct?
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:12 AM   #6
pixelated
macrumors 6502a
 
pixelated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverbepeace View Post
Im not on Ios4. I'm still on 3.1.3 and just want to restore. I'm guessing it works the same way? I don't think there are any shsh's. The guy I bought the phone from paid another person to JB it for him. Chances are, he didn't do any shsh correct?
It works the same way, the method is only for editing the hosts file.
I would hope every person who JB'ed decided to back up their SHSH but i really can't speculate on the probabilities of it having happened in your case.
pixelated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Neverbepeace
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelated View Post
It works the same way, the method is only for editing the hosts file.
I would hope every person who JB'ed decided to back up their SHSH but i really can't speculate on the probabilities of it having happened in your case.

Perhaps there is no shsh......what are my options? If any......
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:27 AM   #8
pixelated
macrumors 6502a
 
pixelated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverbepeace View Post
Perhaps there is no shsh......what are my options? If any......
try searching the forums/google for a cydia crash solution but other than that just wait for a JB for 3Gs new bootrom on 4.0
pixelated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:59 PM   #9
Neverbepeace
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Been Working On My 3GS From 7AM This Morning! This Is Plain Insane!

I've been trying to JB abd unlock the 3GS i bought yesterday since 7AM this morning non stop! It is now 5PM

Cydia was not working when I bought it. Thought it just needed a re JB.....not the case. I downloaded the 3.1.3 file so I can restore....tried jailbreaking with spirit.....tried diskaid......I downloaded ireb or what ever you call it and its not working. Heck.....towards the end....I tried blackrain since i was so frustrated. Been without a phone the whole day and thats not a good look.

Can somebody pm me or help me with this scenario? I currently have 3.1.3 with 5.12.01. I have the new bootrom. I am mentally tired and drained. You guys are my last hope. Otherwise, I would have to sell. Thanks in advanced.
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:03 PM   #10
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
I asked for this to be stickied, but oh well,

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ight=jailbreak
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:08 PM   #11
Imsuperjp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
What version iTunes do you have? I don't think spirit works with 9.2
Imsuperjp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:14 PM   #12
Neverbepeace
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imsuperjp View Post
What version iTunes do you have? I don't think spirit works with 9.2


I had 9.1.1 for most of the day, then upgraded to 9.2 because of pwnage. That didnt work. I tried spirit on both itunes 9.1.1 and 9.2
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:26 PM   #13
mso4
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverbepeace View Post
I had 9.1.1 for most of the day, then upgraded to 9.2 because of pwnage. That didnt work. I tried spirit on both itunes 9.1.1 and 9.2
Just got my 3GS 3.1.3 new bootrom to work. I used iTunes 9.1.1 (9.2 does not work with spirit) under windows xp.

Spirit to jb and ultrasn0w to unlock. If you've already upgrade to 9.2, try going back to 9.1.1. I just posted some info on how to do this in the other giant thread.
mso4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:31 PM   #14
Neverbepeace
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mso4 View Post
Just got my 3GS 3.1.3 new bootrom to work. I used iTunes 9.1.1 (9.2 does not work with spirit) under windows xp.

Spirit to jb and ultrasn0w to unlock. If you've already upgrade to 9.2, try going back to 9.1.1. I just posted some info on how to do this in the other giant thread.

I guess it keeps me a little hopeful. I don't own a windows computer

I tried spirit on 9.1.1 and was a no go.
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:35 PM   #15
Cinemagic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=946592
Cinemagic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:41 PM   #16
Imsuperjp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
When you say spirit 9.1.1 didn't work, did you get some kind of error?
Imsuperjp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:46 PM   #17
Neverbepeace
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

Forgive me if this is a senseless question. What am I suppose to do? I have no idea if the previous owner had shsh.....I really never took the time to learn about shsh. Since I figured I was never going to use it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imsuperjp View Post
When you say spirit 9.1.1 didn't work, did you get some kind of error?

No error. It went through as if everything was smooth. When the phone came back on, i clicked on cydia and it still crashes in the first 2 seconds.

Last edited by annk; Jun 25, 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Clean-up after thread merge
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:06 PM   #18
Imsuperjp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverbepeace View Post
No error. It went through as if everything was smooth. When the phone came back on, i clicked on cydia and it still crashes in the first 2 seconds.
Cydia crashes or your phone does? If cydia shows up, sounds like the jailbreak did work but you are having a problem with cydia.
Imsuperjp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:10 PM   #19
Neverbepeace
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imsuperjp View Post
Cydia crashes or your phone does? If cydia shows up, sounds like the jailbreak did work but you are having a problem with cydia.
Yes....cydia crashes.....not the phone. Ever since I bought the device yesterday, its been crashing. Never worked once.

Last edited by Neverbepeace; Jun 23, 2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: left out info
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:14 PM   #20
Imsuperjp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Is cydia still on the phone? Did you ever install openssh?
Imsuperjp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:20 PM   #21
Neverbepeace
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imsuperjp View Post
Is cydia still on the phone? Did you ever install openssh?

Never had the opportunity to install open ssh. Cydia is still on the phone. Been trying to restore to factory settings for the longest but heeled no positive results.
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:32 PM   #22
TMar
macrumors 68000
 
TMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ky
Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
what firmware was on it when you got it?
TMar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:33 PM   #23
Neverbepeace
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMar View Post
what firmware was on it when you got it?
It was/Is on 3.1.3 firmware. I never updated to Ios4......
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:44 PM   #24
Imsuperjp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I was going to tell you to try this but I don't know how you can without open ssh. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=743547 maybe you can install rock somehow and get openssh that way
Imsuperjp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:10 PM   #25
Neverbepeace
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
How would I install rock with out cydia? It seems cydia holds all the keys to what you need to do.
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to restore iPhone 3GS to the same iOS sidgallup iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Jul 31, 2013 10:47 AM
Restore iPhone 3GS bb 06.15.00 Moazzam iPhone 4 Jun 9, 2013 10:56 AM
Iphone 3gs restore help Blastu iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 12 Oct 14, 2012 10:55 PM
I want to restore my jailbroken iphone 3Gs Noman015 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Sep 21, 2012 04:26 AM
Iphone 3gs on 5.1.1 with 5.16.05 BB CANT RESTORE!!!! PLEASE HELP!! matthewdandrea Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Jun 13, 2012 02:39 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC