Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1
HyperX13
macrumors 6502

How to authenticate against an SL Server?

I just got a new mac mini with OSX server. I was initially going to just wipe the server software and install SL. However, playing with the server, I like it! I do have one question. How does my mac client (macbook, imac, etc) authenticate against a mac server? What do I do in the client to tell it that the mac server is the authenticating server? I come from a windows world, where you create a domain and then the client joins it. I am aware this is not how the mac does it, but I am not aware how.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BTW I believe I have my open directory setup correctly.

Last edited by HyperX13; Jun 23, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
HyperX13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:53 AM   #2
belvdr
macrumors 68040

It is similar. Go to Accounts and then click the Join button in the bottom right. I believe you can then use any of the accounts defined in the SL Server to authenticate.

I worked on this for awhile in order to setup a Software Update Service, but it was a pain and didn't work the way I wanted it to. For example, it kept downloading really old updates and my client would never see anything new.
belvdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:57 AM   #3
HyperX13
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvdr View Post
It is similar. Go to Accounts and then click the Join button in the bottom right. I believe you can then use any of the accounts defined in the SL Server to authenticate.

I worked on this for awhile in order to setup a Software Update Service, but it was a pain and didn't work the way I wanted it to. For example, it kept downloading really old updates and my client would never see anything new.
Yup! Under login options!! this is great!! Thanks much!!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvdr View Post

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4069
Les Kern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:37 PM   #5
belvdr
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Kern View Post
I've already read that and it still made up its own mind as to what updates to download.
belvdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking